Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, the utility construction work for the transformer, power feed, and meter hasn't begun yet, so the site is not going to be energized for a while....This utility work can't begin until the legal paperwork from Union Bank is done and signed off...

Guys, the utility construction work for the transformer, power feed, and meter hasn't begun yet, so the site is not going to be energized for a while....This utility work can't begin until the legal paperwork from Union Bank is done and signed off...

Ah, so Union Bank is holding it up? Seems odd as they are the ones who agreed to have the station installed in their lot. Someone dropped the ball somewhere.

Ah, so Union Bank is holding it up? Seems odd as they are the ones who agreed to have the station installed in their lot. Someone dropped the ball somewhere.

I don't think many of us really know who screwed up. Regardless, I'm sure tesla motors is working with all the parties involved to get the paperwork done and get the utility out to the site. I'm optimistic the utility will be on site within the next few weeks.

It might not even be a screw up at all. Tesla may have known about the SDG&E/Union bank easement issue all along. When they had a spare crew, they built what they could - afterall, you never know what part of the plan will have unforseen issues until you start executing it. As it happened, the build out went very smoothly and quickly, but it could have run into snags. Also, maybe this is a way to put pressure on Union bank to hurry up their legal department!

A daytime photo taken a few days ago by a friend who lives very close. Inside the white enclosures are cinder block walls enclosing the power converters, transformers, and meter socket. Tesla buys their power "at voltage" to get a price break. This means they own and maintain the high voltage transformer.

My friend spoke to the foreman, confirmed everything already reported about utility delay and easement. The utility high voltage runs beneath the street. The street has to be partially blocked, a trench dug, conduit laid, connection made, street repaved. I believe the final connection has to be made to a high voltage line, perhaps 12KV ?, while it remains live, because a whole bunch of businesses are on each circuit. This might take only a day or two once the permit hassle is resolved.

Image-X2.jpg

A daytime photo taken a few days ago by a friend who lives very close. Inside the white enclosures are cinder block walls enclosing the power converters, transformers, and meter socket. Tesla buys their power "at voltage" to get a price break. This means they own and maintain the high voltage transformer.

I don't believe the transformer is there, yet. The wall to the left of your photo contains the switchgear. The two on the right contain the superchargers. You can see what's inside from the photos in callmesam's post earlier in the thread:

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA - Page 8

The transformer will be going somewhere else.

Last edited:
I don't believe the transformer is there, yet. The wall to the left of your photo contains the switchgear. The two on the right contain the superchargers. You can see what's inside from the photos in callmesam's post earlier in the thread:

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA - Page 8

The transformer will being going somewhere else.

i think the transformer goes to the left of the switchgear panel in the picture directly above your post. There's a pit there covered in dirt and fence panels on the ground. There's a reason the construction crew didn't pave thus section.