Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The San Juan Capistrano Supercharger station was a red dot on the Summer 2013 Supercharger Map. And now, summer 2014 is approaching rapidly. Let's just hope that this Supercharger station goes live before the summer of 2014 starts. That would be nice.

I drove by last night and there was no construction equipment or any signs alerting to any road closures for construction. The only thing I saw was the equipment box nearest Del Obispo has been fenced off and there is a porta-potty. Make your best guess of opening day......
Superchargersjc.jpg

Per Cottonwood's comment #386, the transformer has still not appeared on sight ? Does anyone have a photo showing the transformer pad done with conduit embedded ?

Since Tesla contracts for its power "At (high) Voltage" I would think that means that installing the transformer would be their responsibility, but perhaps not.

These photos taken over the lunch hour today. The first two pictures, taken of the space just behind the transformer shack (third photo), show work completed since last night. The second photo show the slab with conduit sweeps coming from the street and going into the transformer shack. Presumably this is where the 12KV step-down transformer goes. The work in the street covered the conduit trench to the SDG&E vault with dirt and asphalt. The earlier completion time estimate (May testing) may well be reliable given the amount of work remaining. The "user" end of the system appears to be fully wired and ready for use.

SJCSC140425-1.JPG
SJCSC140425-2.JPG
SJCSC140425-3.JPG

I stopped by the site a few hours after WNB took pics. The curbs around the transformer pads were formed up and
Utility lateral ducts (conduit from SDGE to transformer locations) are in, so it doesn't seem that any more major trenching will be necessary.
Crew very friendly, laughed and told me they'd never worked on such a highly anticipated project.
They predicted completion in mid-May.

A quick note on what may seem glacial construction progress: the work crews do not set the overall pace.
They are not on site every day. Their managers will mostly only send them to the site when there is enough work to justify sending a crew for a day or more. In between, it may seem that nothing is happening - the contractor and crews have probably gone as far as they can and will not return until some additional element has been completed by another player in the process - an inspection or permit that must be approved/completed by Tesla, a lender, the city, the county, state or utility before the next phase may proceed. The State and Federal governments are involved in these projects (rebates, subsidies etc), so there is a complicated process of control and approvals happening off-site that largely dictates the project's pace.
The crews and their bosses would probably like nothing better than to crank through the job with a few weeks of constant activity.

Thanks to C10Cruiser for yesterday's thoughtful remarks. I was inspired to follow up, so I just took the photos below to augment his text. The forming for the pad concrete pour are most visible in the first photo. Something I didn't notice in the previous inspection is the conduit that is just barely visible in the lower-right corner of the smaller pad in the second photo.
SJCSC140427-1.JPG
SJCSC140427-2.JPG