Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Juan Capistrano, CA (7 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully someone can be there Friday to take pictures. I want to see what a 12kV transformer looks like before it is covered up!

The transformer will be quite large (over 5,000 pounds with 200 gallons of oil inside)...Typically there are work clearances required, so you generally don't see them covered. Here is a photo example (on the left) of a transformer installed at an eVgo site that is good for about half of the power that an SC site draws...

Broadway03.jpg

Fred and everyone else that is interested in this SC (I understand from Tesla that there is more interest in this SC going up than in any other location): I go by this site twice a day. I'm now carrying my camera to capture any changes/improvements. Will post the latest within minutes of taking the photos. Enjoy :)

Fred and everyone else that is interested in this SC (I understand from Tesla that there is more interest in this SC going up than in any other location): I go by this site twice a day. I'm now carrying my camera to capture any changes/improvements. Will post the latest within minutes of taking the photos. Enjoy :)

Nice, wnb. I'm looking forward to this supercharger as well.

Btw, in another thread, folks have figured out the cause of all Tesla's delays. Per Elon's quest to travel to Mars, they have already been using the Martian year as their basis. So one year means one Martian year = 1.88 Earth years...

:)

Well, as another "not to rub it in" comparison, the Macon, GA Supercharger has moved at an amazing pace.

In about 2.5 weeks, they have gone from nothing (an empty parking lot, see Supercharger - Macon, GA, April 11), to most of the equipment in place, including transformer (see Supercharger - Macon, GA, April 30). At this rate Macon may be on the air in another week!

To be fair, it looks like the new transformer for the Supercharger was installed immediately adjacent to an existing transformer, but still impressive.

An under 4 week nothing to completion time would be amazing, and perhaps a new record!!! :biggrin:

Today's progress (no photo needed): the entire site has been cleaned up and the fence removed, ready for tomorrow's transformer(s) installation. Everyone take a deep breath and think good thoughts! This reporter will be watching to bring you the latest... :)

Glen Allen was about that speed too - 9/26/13 building permit, 10/24/13 grand opening ceremony. They worked straight through the rain using tarps and heaters.

For speed, the Chinese Superchargers are hard to beat. With solar canopies, I think they were done in less than 3 weeks? I can't find a proper source though.

The transformers are physically on the pads and SDGE is at site! At least four trucks here currently!!

I'll post pics shortly. Woo hoo!!

Steal the keys to their trucks & don't give them back until all work is complete :biggrin:

I am driving down this weekend & going to the Padre game on Sunday & can use the supercharger, if its not online I was planning on sitting at the service center staring at the wall while charging.