Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Ramon, CA - Diablo Plaza (LIVE 5 Apr 2019, 20 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
true. but that is where I see the most fights. Just saying...

It's ridiculous and sad that this should even be a thing. :(

Anyway. Tesla isn't omnipotent, and we have seen that in a number of places, constraints from property owners or municipalities have dictated various aspects of Supercharger locations, including the number, placement, and signage of stalls. The choice might between having an arrangement that seems sub-optimal for Tesla owners or not having anything at all.

Bruce.

It's ridiculous and sad that this should even be a thing. :(

Anyway. Tesla isn't omnipotent, and we have seen that in a number of places, constraints from property owners or municipalities have dictated various aspects of Supercharger locations, including the number, placement, and signage of stalls. The choice might between having an arrangement that seems sub-optimal for Tesla owners or not having anything at all.

Bruce.

Exactly. It is just as bad at some Tesla operated facilities like the Rocklin service center. There are two sections of chargers there. I only went there once, and all chargers were full. It was completely unclear WHERE you were supposed to queue. Fortunately I had plenty to make it to the next charger so I just left. But if we can't even tell where we are supposed to line up at a Tesla location, it can only be worse at the places where they have very little control.

I just drove through there and the new signage has only three or four signs that were EV only that I could see. All the rest said, EV priority, 60 minute general parking. I couldn't see a lot of the signs, though because of all the PG&E trucks parked there. I'm surprised that the signs don't mention Tesla, although the chargers do. Are there other cars that can use Tesla chargers now?

Ten PG&E related trucks on site. Another truck a block away, along with a truck with the big flashing warning arrow. BDAD0546-FB8A-4391-9F17-B024EB24A8AA.jpeg766939D1-523E-473B-905B-3600C80A7FEE.jpeg81550D56-E11D-4D5A-98D0-399DD0EFB317.jpegE02B3C1E-69E2-4EC6-9719-96D9C94CC74C.jpeg4ABD5356-2BBC-40B6-9C0C-48BFDBE73D5A.jpeg

Reactions: bmah
So these are urban superchargers right? They aren't quite as fast as the regular ones? I work a quarter mile away so this is going to be so convenient. A little worried about lines and difficulty backing into some of the spots since there's not much room, but 20 is a large amount. The 10 at Target are always full. Hope they open soon!

Correct these are 72 kW - about 40% less (120 kW vs. 72 kW) - however they work just fine & you'll be surprised how efficient they are plus IMO they're better for long-term battery health.

I think you'll find these chargers open a lot because they're "slower" (72 kW) than the big boys (120 kW to 145 kW).

Relax, walk into Dainty Donuts for some coffee or take a longer walk over to Starbucks (inside Safeway). Enjoy this much needed charging station

Last edited:
Correct these are 72 kW - about 40% less (120 kW vs. 72 kW) - however they work just fine & you'll be surprised how efficient they are plus IMO they're better for long-term battery health.

I think you'll find these chargers open a lot because they're "slower" (72 kW) than the big boys (120 kW to 145 kW).

Relax, walk into Dainty Donuts for some coffee or take a longer walk over to Starbucks (inside Safeway). Enjoy this much needed charging station
Based upon my experience with urban chargers at Livermore and Blossom Hill in San Jose, they are faster. Consistently closer to their max of 72 kw.

So these are urban superchargers right? They aren't quite as fast as the regular ones? I work a quarter mile away so this is going to be so convenient. A little worried about lines and difficulty backing into some of the spots since there's not much room, but 20 is a large amount. The 10 at Target are always full. Hope they open soon!
Yes, urban superchargers. The 2 differences from the traditional type being-- 1. they are power limited to 72 kW max (instead of 120 kW or, soon now, 145 kW); 2. But they don't dynamically share the available power. So pairing doesn't matter with them. As long as the stall is in proper working order, you'll always have 72 kW available to use. It makes for much easier scheduling at high traffic superchargers. You'll know almost exactly how long it will take to charge the amount you want, instead of having to guess/hope how long it will take based on whether you get lucky with an unpaired stall or not.