Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Transformer appears installed. Yesterday, Edison was running some underground wires several hundred feet away across the parking lot.
20161120_114324.jpg

Last edited:
I went by yesterday morning and saw a couple of trucks from the electrical contractor, one of which was pulling away. I asked a worker who drove the other truck about progress. He said he couldn't answer the question about when as that was a question for the electrician who had just driven off but he did say he was clearing the punch list from Tesla for the site, an example of which was some cosmetic concrete work. A couple of points he made were that it wouldn't open until the sign next to it is completed and that this installation is some sort of higher powered (my terminology, not his) that will charge in, he said, a half-hour rather than an hour and a half. It is a newer technology that incorporates an additional transformer in each stall. If anyone knows to what he is referring, jump in. As for the sign, there is still paving work and landscaping to be done at the base and the face of the two sides of the sign are plain metal, steel, I assume. No images are on that sign at this time. There was welding work going on at the sign by the rocket ship. I mention the sign work as I do believe that is an impediment to lighting up the super charger. Since T-Day is the day after tomorrow as I write this, I'm highly doubtful we'll see anything until next week at the earliest. (This post was delayed a day for some reason. I'm posting an update below with a picture.)

This morning (Wednesday before T-Day) I dropped by the site on my way to the grocery store and saw they were removing fences. On my way back about 8:30, the fences were gone and landscaping was being done around the base of the big sign adjacent to the Super Charger. Paving work remains to be done, I saw. As I made my way over to the sign by the rocket, I saw paving work being done and apparently almost completed. So, I would not be surprised at all to see all paving work at both locations completed today as well as much of the landscaping. I noted about four to five landscaping trucks with crews hard at work on three sites. We may see light at the end of the tunnel before month's end if not early this coming week.. See attached.
20161123_083014.jpg

Reactions: Bet TSLA
I went by yesterday morning and saw a couple of trucks from the electrical contractor, one of which was pulling away. I asked a worker who drove the other truck about progress. He said he couldn't answer the question about when as that was a question for the electrician who had just driven off but he did say he was clearing the punch list from Tesla for the site, an example of which was some cosmetic concrete work. A couple of points he made were that it wouldn't open until the sign next to it is completed and that this installation is some sort of higher powered (my terminology, not his) that will charge in, he said, a half-hour rather than an hour and a half. It is a newer technology that incorporates an additional transformer in each stall. If anyone knows to what he is referring, jump in. As for the sign, there is still paving work and landscaping to be done at the base and the face of the two sides of the sign are plain metal, steel, I assume. No images are on that sign at this time. There was welding work going on at the sign by the rocket ship. I mention the sign work as I do believe that is an impediment to lighting up the super charger. Since T-Day is the day after tomorrow as I write this, I'm highly doubtful we'll see anything until next week at the earliest. (This post was delayed a day for some reason. I'm posting an update below with a picture.)

That just sounds like a somewhat imprecise general description of the difference between Level 2 (AC) and Level 3 (high voltage DC) charging, like Superchargers and ChaDeMo. For L3 chargers the actual "charger" that monitors the state of the battery and outputs battery-voltage DC is in the equipment associated with the charging stall and so can be as large as necessary to supply current to the battery at (nearly) the maximum rate it can tolerate. Level 2 charging stalls supply AC to the car's onboard AC->DC charging hardware, which cannot charge the battery as fast. The car's onboard charger is limited to a lower charge rate due to size, weight, and cost constraints associated with it being part of the car.

Reactions: bmah
@Ed Trotter, thanks for your frequent and valuable updates on this location, as well as the intelligence you were able to gather from the electrical contractor. It will be exciting to finally get this site into use, and I'm hopeful that there are some technological advances afoot, which would be a nice reward for the long wait here.

A couple of points he made were that it wouldn't open until the sign next to it is completed and that this installation is some sort of higher powered (my terminology, not his) that will charge in, he said, a half-hour rather than an hour and a half. It is a newer technology that incorporates an additional transformer in each stall. If anyone knows to what he is referring, jump in.
Back on post #142 in late August the paperwork does say "GEN 2 L-N SUPERCHARGER" (6). The site also has 200 kW battery storage, not sure how many kWh.

Thanks, Drees. Do you have any more you could share on what that means?

In other news, my wife (the real Tesla driver) and I were by the site today and a crew from the company that installed the Super Charger was there. She had seen after her gym time this morning that the black plastic wrap had been removed. We inquired why and were told some clear plastic covering had not been removed on installation and they were getting it taken off and that the black wrap was removed to get access. The lead guy said to look for an opening next week. I checked later in the day and they were still working on it. And, then it rained a lot (well, a lot for us) and I didn't get back there. I wanted to post a picture that would look like it will for the future, all bright and shiny. Maybe in the morning. Be on the lookout for opening day. Santa's on his way!!! I sense jingle bells in the distance.

The fellow said there is additional equipment inside that is new. He has done 20 he said and this is a first. Just passing along what has been said. And, yes, we're all pretty aware of the info you provided.

This (and the context, in the bold section of your previous post) probably needs to be repeated elsewhere in a non-site specific thread/forum. If what he describes is accurate (half instead of hour-and-a-half = 3 times faster?) then it could have quite significant ramifications.

this installation is some sort of higher powered (my terminology, not his) that will charge in, he said, a half-hour rather than an hour and a half. It is a newer technology that incorporates an additional transformer in each stall
Whoa, that is pretty interesting information if correct. And I think he meant "an additional transformer for each stall", perhaps meaning that this new Supercharger will be the first ever with no paired stalls.

Note that photo @samberns97 posted does not show any stall numbering/lettering. Perhaps that is because it has not been applied yet, or perhaps that is because it will not be applied because it is not needed. Given how far along this Supercharger is I would have thought the stall labels would have been applied by now.

This could be quite exciting...for us Tesla geeks. :rolleyes:

20161127_080348.jpg
20161127_080428.jpg
20161127_080554.jpg
20161127_081052.jpg
20161127_081145.jpg
20161127_081604.jpg
Yes, ecarfarn, it dawned on me this morning that there are no numbers on the stalls. I'll include a few pictures from this morning showing the full, unobstructed view of all stalls; a "fake" charging NOT going on; the fenced off equipment inside the parking structure behind the normal superchargers that one worker told me was some new development; and one of the blank mall sign that remains a mystery. I'm also looking back at other SC postings to see if I can find when the numbers might be applied. So far, the posted photos I saw at about the 10 most recent openings all show numbers on the stalls and appear to have been applied at the last moment. Perhaps that's something Tesla does?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: callmesam