Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Ana, CA (12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, with respect to charging rates, I found an interesting discussion of this over on the Memphis thread.

From RockyH: It's a rule of thumb for the charging rate at Superchargers versus the state of charge for the battery that accounts for the tapering effect as the battery gets more and more full. Those numbers hold pretty true throughout the whole charging range of the 85/90kwh batteries. I haven't seen if the constant factor is different for the 60/70/75 size or not. I first heard this from a long time forum user named @Bighorn who is mostly on the Tesla.com site.
Take the percent state of charge of your battery and add it to the Supercharger rate in kW. Those added together will usually be in the 120's. That generally holds true all the way from empty to full, because as the battery % gets higher, it has to keep slowing the charging rate, so it just happens to work out that way that the sum of those numbers stays pretty constant. That way you can tell if your charging rate is appropriate or slow for some reason.

Seems to be fairly accurate. He says in a further posting that this is characteristic across rechargeable batteries in general.

Just passing it along.

Just some charging stall usage data:
12/13, 11:15 a.m. or so, five charging, with one of those just pulling out
12/14, 8:30 a.m., one charging
12/14, 10:05 a.m., four charging

So far, no ICEing ever observed. I will check this weekend and evenings next week which should be the maximum demand period of the year. We'll see.

• Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike
Screenshot_20161214-190650.png
Screenshot_20161214-190650.png
Screenshot_20161214-192608.png

At about 40 % charging at 305 mi/hr.... At about 73% charging at 266 mi/hr. There were about 6 cars at sc but I was not in a paired spot. As indicate by others, the charging rate slows down on any lithium ion battery as it reaches full charge. I would confirm, however, that this sc definitely charges as fast as any I have visited.

you all with the "my car charges only a xxx mi/hr": please realize that the miles per hour rate is an average of your whole charging session. Making those statements is essentially meaningless. You need to look at the kw rate. Two ways to do this: multiply volts*amps. Or, change your settings under units displayed to %charge instead of rated miles. Then the car will do the calculation for you.

you all with the "my car charges only a xxx mi/hr": please realize that the miles per hour rate is an average of your whole charging session. Making those statements is essentially meaningless. You need to look at the kw rate. Two ways to do this: multiply volts*amps. Or, change your settings under units displayed to %charge instead of rated miles. Then the car will do the calculation for you.
This bears repeating for emphasis, as most new owners (and some old ones) aren't aware of it and it's not obvious--
"kW" displayed while supercharging (or calculated by multiplying volts x amps) is the instantaneous power being delivered.
mi/hr displayed while supercharging is the average over the entire supercharging session.

As the power is tapered over time, the mi/hr you're actually accumulating at that moment will be less than the average that is displayed.

When reporting on a supercharger, to make comparison easier please give the kW you're getting and the state of charge, rather than mi/hr.

Charging rate is about 100kw when the rate is about 305-320 mi/hr.....The point was to show a higher charge rate is available at this sc than was originally reported.. The screen shots provided clearly show amps and volts so one can determine the kw easily based on your formula....

Another usage report.

12/17 noon 2 Teslas charging, no ICEing, surface parking lot and first floor of structures appeared to be full.
12/18 1:30 or so, 9 Teslas charging with one having just pulled out of the lot as I pulled in, no ICEing and even more cars in the parking areas.
Just to note, I was not one of those charging as I live less than a mile away.

• Disagree
Reactions: DDotJ and Az_Rael
I stopped by today around noon. Every B stall taken except for one, which I took, only for fun, and because I was nearby and tired and needed a short nap. No A stalls were taken. Grabbed about 36 miles while I rested then left.

As far as ICEing goes, these are not the easiest spots to fit into. The pedestals are pull-in and there is not a lot of space to turn in. I mean, not impossible by any means, but clearly, clearly for Tesla's only. People would have to be pretty desperate to take one of these

Reactions: dauger
I was there around 8:30 this evening. The SCs ARE NOT WORKING, there was no power.
4 Tesla trying to charge but our screen just show "ready to charge" and nothing happened, the green blinking light never come up.
Did you call Tesla and report the problem? Yes they likely know about it, but it would still be good to report it in case they don't.

Shoot, I wish I had seen your post, freewilly, before I went to the gym this morning. I noted one car charging at 8:30 and another one at 10:10. Both were white Model X but different license tags. If I had known, I would have checked with the users to see if it's working yet. I may try in a bit as I have to run back out and can swing around that way. Again, no ICEing.