Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Monica, CA - Santa Monica Place (LIVE 19 Feb 2019, 14 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Santa Monica is a premium area and space is expensive and hard to find. The city of Santa Monica is actually very EV friendly. They have installed free L2 chargers in several parking structures years ago. The parking structures are reasonably priced considering how busy and high demand that area is. Hard to find anything cheaper in any of the beach cities in LA. When you go to Santa Monica those parking structures are great options and cheaper than other parking lots. Tesla doesn't owe us free parking in high demand areas like this.

And yet, at least 1 other beach city offers all alt-fuel vehicles free parking at their commercial meters, including prime downtown parking, and is in no danger of going broke.

Santa Monica, on the other hand, charges for parking while charging (exceptions noted) and *aggressively* tickets single-plated vehicles like no other geopolitical entity with the possible exception of LAX long- and short-term parking.

Only saving grace will be SC v3, if and when they ever get around to retrofitting urban chargers (not a given) to halve the time necessary for a full charge.

i was there tonight with half the chargers being used and the rate maxed at 46kw instead of the 72. so despite what was previously said it looks like these urban chargers DO dilute.
No. The urban stalls absolutely, positively, 100% DON'T dilute or split or share the charge rate. Up to 72 kW per stall is delivered regardless of usage. However the actual charge rate will still depend on a number of things:
  1. Your car's SOC. Tapering is still a thing if you're charging when your battery is over half full.
  2. Whether the supercharger hardware is in full working order and behaving properly.
  3. Your battery temperature. If your battery is cool or cold, your charge rate could be anything from a bit slower than expected to barely more than trickle charging for a fully cold soaked battery in extreme cold.
  4. Electricity grid quality fluctuations. If the local grid is delivering poor "quality" electricity service, this will also affect the supercharger behavior. Things like significant under/over voltage or frequency fluctuations. This tends to be more of a problem in the more isolated locations, but can also be an issue with new sites if the elec. distribution/transportation infrastructure isn't handling the new load as expected.
  5. Overheating. Charging in very hot temps and in direct sunlight can sometimes spoof the temperature sensors in the charging connectors into thinking there's something wrong and they will reduce the charging rate. I think this doesn't happen as much as it used to (at least I didn't hear/see people commenting on it as much this past summer), so Tesla may have improved the hardware so it's less likely to happen.
  6. In the first few weeks of a supercharger's operations, it seems to happen pretty regularly that people experience slower charging sessions quite frequently. I don't know whether this is because the sites aren't always commissioned fully or properly the first time or if there is some sort of "burn-in" phase for the hardware that results in uneven/reduced performance during the first few weeks.
So long as you started charging from a low battery % and your battery wasn't cold, then it was probably #6. Regardless, the urban stalls don't split power based on stall usage.

FYI to all - charger 1B is broken. Doesn’t fit snuggly into my charge port and error message reads “charge cable unplugged.”

Kind of annoyed because there were 2 spots left, I grabbed 1B, someone else grabbed the other spot, and now ive been waiting for the last 30 mins.

Also, they could have and should have put another 10+ chargers here. It is so absurd that this is still the only supercharger in the entire SM / westwood / beverly hills / malibu / palisades area. All these areas need superchargers.

And yet, at least 1 other beach city offers all alt-fuel vehicles free parking at their commercial meters, including prime downtown parking, and is in no danger of going broke.

Santa Monica offers free street parking at any meter for EVs.
Santa Monica OSE - Electric Vehicles

There are currently 42 free charging stations across various city parking structures. The first 90 min are free and then it's reasonably priced. If you use their charger you end up paying aprox what electricity would cost, so it's totally OK. For the Supercharger, you can fill up within the first 90 min.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
PSA:

I was supercharging in the Santa Monica supercharger and was in my car listening to music. I saw a enforcer circle around the Tesla charging stalls a few times looking around. About 20 minutes later, a parking enforcer came by and started looking at my rear plates so I came out and asked if there was anything wrong. He asked if I had a front license plates since I only had rear plates. He said that you need a front plate in California. I was let go with just a warning because “he didn’t see me in the car” when he came by.

So, if you’re charging here, make sure you have a front plate or stay in your car or you’ll get a fix-it ticket.

P.S.: I was charging around 9am at 60 kW from 38% SoC and it went down gradually. I couldn’t get the 72 kW max and there were 3-5 cars charging in total during this time.

Tried to visit this morning only to find a guard blocking off the upper decks: a helicopter had been forced to land on the roof because of the fog. I can't remember like something that ever happening to me at a gas station. Still, it's better than supporting Exxon Mobile.

It was a prototype of the Tesla Electric Helicopter — had to stop for a quick supercharging session but didn’t want people taking spy photos and leaking to the media.

No. The urban stalls absolutely, positively, 100% DON'T dilute or split or share the charge rate. Up to 72 kW per stall is delivered regardless of usage. However the actual charge rate will still depend on a number of things:
  1. Your car's SOC. Tapering is still a thing if you're charging when your battery is over half full.
  2. Whether the supercharger hardware is in full working order and behaving properly.
  3. Your battery temperature. If your battery is cool or cold, your charge rate could be anything from a bit slower than expected to barely more than trickle charging for a fully cold soaked battery in extreme cold.
  4. Electricity grid quality fluctuations. If the local grid is delivering poor "quality" electricity service, this will also affect the supercharger behavior. Things like significant under/over voltage or frequency fluctuations. This tends to be more of a problem in the more isolated locations, but can also be an issue with new sites if the elec. distribution/transportation infrastructure isn't handling the new load as expected.
  5. Overheating. Charging in very hot temps and in direct sunlight can sometimes spoof the temperature sensors in the charging connectors into thinking there's something wrong and they will reduce the charging rate. I think this doesn't happen as much as it used to (at least I didn't hear/see people commenting on it as much this past summer), so Tesla may have improved the hardware so it's less likely to happen.
  6. In the first few weeks of a supercharger's operations, it seems to happen pretty regularly that people experience slower charging sessions quite frequently. I don't know whether this is because the sites aren't always commissioned fully or properly the first time or if there is some sort of "burn-in" phase for the hardware that results in uneven/reduced performance during the first few weeks.
So long as you started charging from a low battery % and your battery wasn't cold, then it was probably #6. Regardless, the urban stalls don't split power based on stall usage.
Great explanations thanks. Love learning more about how it all works and why certain things happen. (Much more than reading about whining and tantrums about jaw dropping topics like paying for parking, obeying laws and having to wait for something a few minutes.)

I see people doing it all the time but not sure if it's legal.
In general, in CA, unless you have a disabled placard or plates, it's not legal and you're liable to be ticketed (BTW, nor is it legal for someone with those placards or plates to park in that stall without charging. It's a disabled access EVCS not a parking stall). The exception is that there are a few locations which, instead of or in addition to the blue and white wheelchair symbol include a small sign saying that that particular spot is available to use by others but should be left open unless there are no other open stalls. I'm not personally familiar with the signage at Santa Monica, but unless it includes one of those little signs saying essentially, "Use this stall last, " then people who use it without appropriate permission are liable to ticketing.

Here are 3 threads--which were supposed to be merged into a single one--discussing the issue in general:
  1. Supercharger Handicap Space
  2. Handicapped parking spaces at Superchargers
  3. More about handicapped spots at Superchargers

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and P85_DA
In general, in CA, unless you have a disabled placard or plates, it's not legal and you're liable to be ticketed (BTW, nor is it legal for someone with those placards or plates to park in that stall without charging. It's a disabled access EVCS not a parking stall). The exception is that there are a few locations which, instead of or in addition to the blue and white wheelchair symbol include a small sign saying that that particular spot is available to use by others but should be left open unless there are no other open stalls. I'm not personally familiar with the signage at Santa Monica, but unless it includes one of those little signs saying essentially, "Use this stall last, " then people who use it without appropriate permission are liable to ticketing.

Here are 3 threads--which were supposed to be merged into a single one--discussing the issue in general:
  1. Supercharger Handicap Space
  2. Handicapped parking spaces at Superchargers
  3. More about handicapped spots at Superchargers

Thanks! Today someone drove past a line of 3 teslas waiting and took the handicap spot which was the only open charger. He didn't have any handicap plates or place cards. There wasn't a sign that says "use last" either. I guess I'll keep waiting even if that's the last spot then.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
From a logical standpoint, I would think it's okay to use it as long as you stay with your car while charging. Then if someone with a handicapped placard arrives, you need to unplug and go to the back of the line (or move on if you have enough charge). I am not talking about legal technicalities however.

Reactions: PStewart