Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Santa Rosa, CA (LIVE 20 Nov 2019, 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the Santa Rosa Supercharger site, the Supercharger cabinets will use the conduits circled below. I believe that layout is for all 10 cabinets.

View attachment 428992

There appear to be 5 clusters of conduits, which to me implies 5 cabinets to go on top of those conduits, which would make it V3 since there are 20 pedestals. Is the specific location here along Guerneville Road?

There appear to be 5 clusters of conduits, which to me implies 5 cabinets to go on top of those conduits, which would make it V3 since there are 20 pedestals. Is the specific location here along Guerneville Road?
The picture is taken from quite a distance, but I was assuming each of the 5 clusters would support two cabinets side-by-side. I suppose it could be V3, but I doubt it absent further information.

Dropped by today around 2:30. Took some pictures. There was one construction worker there that approached me as I took the pics. He said he was from Tesla (had a Tesla badge). I chatted him up. He confirmed that this is V3, 20 stalls and said he was waiting for the pedestals to be delivered today. Said he was doing several others in the area including Napa. I asked if they were all V3 and he smiled and said, "I'm not supposed to say - probably said too much already." Then he went on to say Tesla still had some inventory of V2 to "use up" but that pretty much everything will be V3 going forward.

IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_9232.jpg
IMG_6598.jpg
IMG_0839.jpg

Dropped by today around 2:30. Took some pictures. There was one construction worker there that approached me as I took the pics. He said he was from Tesla (had a Tesla badge). I chatted him up. He confirmed that this is V3, 20 stalls and said he was waiting for the pedestals to be delivered today. Said he was doing several others in the area including Napa. I asked if they were all V3 and he smiled and said, "I'm not supposed to say - probably said too much already." Then he went on to say Tesla still had some inventory of V2 to "use up" but that pretty much everything will be V3 going forward.

img_6598-jpg.430858
This clear picture of the conduits for the Supercharger cabinets shows that it would not work for 5 pairs of V2 cabinets as I previously thought. It is great to see a V3 install in the wild and not just at a Tesla owned facility.

Reactions: Ulmo
There was one construction worker there that approached me as I took the pics. He said he was from Tesla (had a Tesla badge). I chatted him up. He confirmed that this is V3, 20 stalls and said he was waiting for the pedestals to be delivered today.
Wow, thanks for your report! I’m going to change the thread title based on your source, which since he is a Tesla employee and is working directly on this location, I have high confidence in.

Reactions: GSP and ReddyLeaf
This site is going to be incredible!
  • Will be able to pump more juice than Kettleman (until Kettleman gets upgraded)
  • 20, 250 kW unshared stalls = 5 megawatts (could power 50,000 100 watt bulbs)
  • Will be able to (theoretically) add enough range in 15 minutes to cross the US and back (of course split over 20 cars)
  • All those Bay Area M3LRs can juice up here and make Eureka in one shot - or round trip Mendocino
  • ...and Sonoma Cty uses a lot of geothermal so should be pretty clean

This site is going to be incredible!
  • Will be able to pump more juice than Kettleman (until Kettleman gets upgraded)
  • 20, 250 kW unshared stalls = 5 megawatts (could power 50,000 100 watt bulbs)
  • Will be able to (theoretically) add enough range in 15 minutes to cross the US and back (of course split over 20 cars)
  • All those Bay Area M3LRs can juice up here and make Eureka in one shot - or round trip Mendocino
  • ...and Sonoma Cty uses a lot of geothermal so should be pretty clean
This is interesting. I just looked at the Powerpack specs and they say each battery pack is 210kWh and can deliver 50kW. There are 4 battery cabinets in this Santa Rosa installation, so the nominal output power is only 200kW. They also mention a "2 hour" system, so let's say they could double the power output to 400kW from 840kWh. That's a lot of power, but it's still only 8% peak shaving of the theoretical 5MW draw of 20 V3 stalls. Even if the average of all cars was only 100kW per stall, that's still 2MW and only 20% could be buffered with the Powerpack batteries.

This is interesting. I just looked at the Powerpack specs and they say each battery pack is 210kWh and can deliver 50kW. There are 4 battery cabinets in this Santa Rosa installation, so the nominal output power is only 200kW. They also mention a "2 hour" system, so let's say they could double the power output to 400kW from 840kWh. That's a lot of power, but it's still only 8% peak shaving of the theoretical 5MW draw of 20 V3 stalls. Even if the average of all cars was only 100kW per stall, that's still 2MW and only 20% could be buffered with the Powerpack batteries.
I imagine that if we could find out the demand charge power tiers for the local electric co. we could make a pretty good guess as to how they plan to use the batteries and if there might be some throttling when the station gets heavy use. Plus, it'll be interesting to see how large a transformer is installed.

Now I guess we just wait on PG&E... which could take a while.
Those conduit stubs sticking up above the slab in your first and last pictures are for Tesla's V3 Supercharger cabinets, which aren't yet on site. No PG&E involvement in that. In that first picture, from left to right what is actually shown are (4) PowerPack batteries, (1) PowerPack inverter, and then behind that row is the switchgear. Though, your point that there will probably also be a wait for PG&E with the transformer may also likely right. But I don't think we've yet seen where the transformer will go for this installation.

Very curious to find out what capacity transformer is provided for this site, it being a V3 charger and all. 20 x 250kW is 5MW, but based on existing chargers, I wouldn't be surprised if the transformer is smaller capacity than that.
From some existing superchargers, it's clear that Tesla oversubscribes a bit, knowing that it's highly unlikely that every charging stall will be going at 100% capacity at the same time.
Also, the presence of powerpacks can offset some of the peak load.
Finally, I highly suspect they have the ability to configure the charging station to enforce an overall maximum power limit to stay within the transformer's capacity.