Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger slower charge rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am now on around 45,000 km, haven't supercharged quite often because of COVID-19 restrictions and St Leonards Supercharger in NSW closure earlier this year I stopped supercharging often. During that time if I needed a charge I would charge from my 3 phase connection at home or leave it in an underground car park and used my other vehicle.

So recently with restrictions lifting, I decided to drive to the new Macquarie Supercharger. First charge there at around 40% my charge rate was only around 70 kw and maxed out at around 80 kw. At St Leonard's SC I used to get over 100 kw easily when around this type of charge level remaining.

I did notice this occurred recently after the recent updates or could it be something else?

If Tesla did throttle my vehicle without telling me, I am worried my vehicle will one day throttle down as low as 30 kw on a DC Tesla supercharger. Has this happened to anyone else? I have a 2015 MS P90DL.

So I am now on around 45,000 km, haven't supercharged quite often because of COVID-19 restrictions and St Leonards Supercharger in NSW closure earlier this year I stopped supercharging often. During that time if I needed a charge I would charge from my 3 phase connection at home or leave it in an underground car park and used my other vehicle.

So recently with restrictions lifting, I decided to drive to the new Macquarie Supercharger. First charge there at around 40% my charge rate was only around 70 kw and maxed out at around 80 kw. At St Leonard's SC I used to get over 100 kw easily when around this type of charge level remaining.

I did notice this occurred recently after the recent updates or could it be something else?

If Tesla did throttle my vehicle without telling me, I am worried my vehicle will one day throttle down as low as 30 kw on a DC Tesla supercharger. Has this happened to anyone else? I have a 2015 MS P90DL.
Yes Supercharging has been throttled on every 85Kwh model and probably many others.

It's possible that your charge rate is reduced due to temperature. I've been playing with scan my tesla (and canbus scan tool) and notice the large variation from the dotted lines on an 18℃ morning with a max charge rate below 50kW to around 100kW when lower state of charge and warmer battery temperature.

• Informative
Reactions: KRYPTOS
It's possible that your charge rate is reduced due to temperature. I've been playing with scan my tesla (and canbus scan tool) and notice the large variation from the dotted lines on an 18℃ morning with a max charge rate below 50kW to around 100kW when lower state of charge and warmer battery temperature.
I never saw those dotted lines before until recently as I have kept my vehicle underground in my apartment for most of the time. I hope I can get 100 kW+ SCs again.

Yes Supercharging has been throttled on every 85Kwh model and probably many others.

Damn that would suck.

Just pulled up at Bathurst in my P85D with 58km left and charge rate started at 22kW, now added 27km and charge rate has gone up 44kW.
Outside temp 16 celcius. I'm sure last week i was getting 60kW. I have dual chargers.
Now added 36km and charge rate gone up to 47kW.

Just pulled up at Bathurst in my P85D with 58km left and charge rate started at 22kW, now added 27km and charge rate has gone up 44kW.
Outside temp 16 celcius. I'm sure last week i was getting 60kW. I have dual chargers.

I charged at the Bathurst Supercharger in early October with a similar outside temp, the car was taking 90kw at 30% and 75kw at 40%, no different to almost every other SC I've used since the software update that reduced 85kwh packs SC speeds, I'm assuming no one else was charging from the same stall? When you next charge at a different location put the car in percentage and screen shot the power in kW as soon as it clicks over to 30%, 40% and so on, this will give you a way to start comparing speeds.
By the way your dual chargers are part of the AC charging system, it has no effect on Supercharging/DC charging

Thanks Blue Heaven.
Now 30kW at 74%
This is no good at all.
This slow rate changes everything.
I really don't mind waiting 50 minutes but over 90 minutes when you know it can be better and what it was.

I'm going to guess the Bathurst charger could be the issue, is there another Supercharger you may use in the next few weeks? That could make a good cross reference.

Yeah not so good by the looks of what you guys are all saying. I used to get 100 kW+ charges on 30% at the SC. Now only max 85 kW even though no one is next to me. Lifetime SC? what a joke. I guess that update was designed to save them from future battery claims. I only have 40,000 km on a 2015 MS P90DL.

I also have dual chargers too but that only applies to home AC charging. DC supercharging has no effect on the AC Dual Chargers on the vehicle.

Damn, P85D and only 40-60 kW... they never said anything to us about this. Does Tesla just automatically force updates without notice? Outrageous.

Just following up on my original post. So it is not that the updates have limited my SC rate. It is actually the supercharger itself. I am at Broadway today and I’m getting over 100 kW charge rate. I suspect the Macquarie SC is limited from its own internal configuration. No update has affected my vehicle or I’m not affected yet as this picture confirms the SC rate at Broadway. It almost instantly went straight past 100 kW which was the original behaviour at Broadway and St Leonard’s.

Attachments

• 6E33735A-20A5-4415-BD1C-4DEDB20867EE.jpeg
    6E33735A-20A5-4415-BD1C-4DEDB20867EE.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 107
Just to clarify, I have the scan my tesla app and hardware, my max charge (and discharge) rate fluctuates wildly with temperate and state of charge, from <40kW when cold ~15℃ to a more normal 110kW when around 25℃. Also max discharge rate is normally around 430kW, but after enabling max battery power, increases to over 500kW. Having said that, superchargers may limit output, but I would recommend the app to see what your car and battery are up to.

Reactions: KRYPTOS