Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sparks, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, those pics are from the stall, not the supply cabinets.
Did anyone see new cabinets delivered for this location? The existing ones here for V3 have been behind the masonry screening wall, so potentially they've been hidden as they could be different from other V3 knowing this would be upgraded to V4 stalls.

It did sound like these new stalls had more capacity than the cabinets.

No, those pics are from the stall, not the supply cabinets.
@MP3Mike @israndy Supply cabinets are in this enclosed structure. Unless you want to post my bail, I'm not going in there. 20231023_162638.jpg

Did anyone see new cabinets delivered for this location? The existing ones here for V3 have been behind the masonry screening wall, so potentially they've been hidden as they could be different from other V3 knowing this would be upgraded to V4 stalls.

It did sound like these new stalls had more capacity than the cabinets.
I don't think so. After talking with the Tesla gentleman responsible for the V4 project, it appears the reason why Sparks was chosen is it required minimum effort to convert to V4.

Can’t say I saw retrofits coming…
View attachment 980305
Look at the permit. No mention of charging cabinets, changing equipment in cabinets or anything of the sort. Just changing charge posts. We would have seen new cabinets next to the posts in the oocture of the posts sitting at the site. Yes it will be good to verify but there are two brand new sites with V4 posts and V3 cabinets.

Look at the permit. No mention of charging cabinets, changing equipment in cabinets or anything of the sort. Just changing charge posts. We would have seen new cabinets next to the posts in the oocture of the posts sitting at the site. Yes it will be good to verify but there are two brand new sites with V4 posts and V3 cabinets.
So Tesla is starting to put v4 posts in NA but just like the EU they are NOT real v4 sites, just long cords with screens and Magic Docks, but no 350kW charging. I had SO hoped that that was just an EU thing where they don't have many Hummers or F150s and totally no Cybertrucks.

So Tesla is starting to put v4 posts in NA but just like the EU they are NOT real v4 sites, just long cords with screens and Magic Docks, but no 350kW charging. I had SO hoped that that was just an EU thing where they don't have many Hummers or F150s and totally no Cybertrucks.
You're right for this location. Unless Tesla hasn't updated their app info.

Screenshot_20231024_071648_Tesla.jpg

Was anyone around for some V4 opening ceremony announcement yesterday as I left early for work. There was a loudspeaker set up next to the table with goodies like Giga Nevada soda, and there were probably around 50 employees and guests some from across the country and others local and have been around for a while who I also met at the 2016 Gigafactory grand opening.

Seems like what is currently available with these Sparks V4 stalls isn't as exciting as some were hoping for, but it's probably a great milestone for Tesla to celebrate as it opens up new capabilities that they aren't ready to announce publicly yet.

Reactions: Dayreg
Was anyone around for some V4 opening ceremony announcement yesterday as I left early for work. There was a loudspeaker set up next to the table with goodies like Giga Nevada soda, and there were probably around 50 employees and guests some from across the country and others local and have been around for a while who I also met at the 2016 Gigafactory grand opening.

Seems like what is currently available with these Sparks V4 stalls isn't as exciting as some were hoping for, but it's probably a great milestone for Tesla to celebrate as it opens up new capabilities that they aren't ready to announce publicly yet.
Got my giveaway Hot Wheels Model S. Score :)

Reactions: EVCarGUy and Dayreg
That’s what it looks like. There were reports of spools of cable so it appears they wired for V4 at the same time. Just being driven by the existing V3 cabinets which are capable of 300kw which the increased cable size will allow at current voltage. The real gains will be switching to 1000V which would give 2.5x the current output at same amperage, or 625kw. They get an extra 70-80A going from 350mcm to 600mcm depending on wire material. That gets you from 250kw to 300kw. Then the 1000V takes that 300kw to 750kw.

Once there is a need for 1000V, they will likely just swap converters that are capable of outputting up to 1000V and the wiring will already be capable. Otherwise the rest of the V3 design stays the same.

Presumably cabinets being able to switch between 500v and 1000v is a well understood technology since CCS cabinets do it all the time, right?
A minor annoyance... The guy on Out of Spec podcast is usually very spot on technically... he made a statement the other day about (paraphrasing) "Tesla is confusing about their charge rates"... and went on to say that if you connect up a CCS adapter via the app there is no way you are going to get 250kw. Well, yeah... because the CCS port is current limited below the Tesla V3 current rating. What is confusing is that the 350kw CCS chargers are advertised as 350kw when they should be labeled as 175/350kw for 400/800v. Tesla is doing it right!!! Aging wheels pointed out that most CCS chargers are limited to 80kw because of the 200amp limit on the cable.

I'm on a tangent / rant... don't mind me......

A minor annoyance... The guy on Out of Spec podcast is usually very spot on technically... he made a statement the other day about (paraphrasing) "Tesla is confusing about their charge rates"... and went on to say that if you connect up a CCS adapter via the app there is no way you are going to get 250kw. Well, yeah... because the CCS port is current limited below the Tesla V3 current rating.
That is what he is saying. In the Tesla app in the "charge your non-Tesla" section it lists the chargers as up to 250kW. But Tesla is limiting the charge current to 350A. Therefore, the MagicDock Superchargers won't deliver more than ~140kW to a non-Tesla even though Tesla says up to 250kW. So, Tesla is in fact doing it wrong. There is no way to get 250kW out.

Aging wheels pointed out that most CCS chargers are limited to 80kw because of the 200amp limit on the cable.
At least on the 200A limited cables you, assuming your vehicle supports it, you can get ~200kW out. But yeah, a lot of CCS chargers are really mislabeled, but that doesn't mean that Tesla should mislabel their chargers as well.