Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sparks, NV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody recognize this part number? 1732843-01-C; ASY, SC POST, V4, NACS W MD, DISPLAY; Qty: 4; OPGF2C011127351

All the V3 posts are removed and looks like 8x V4 posts (with display?) are in boxes behind:
sparks v3 posts removed.jpg

Attachments

• v4 post part number.jpg
    v4 post part number.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 105
Thanks for checking. Guess we can keep an eye on the app for closure or out of order. I assume they could do 1 at a time if it’s just turn off breaker for that post, disconnect wires at post and then install new post and connect wires. Otherwise I’d imagine the whole site would be down for at least a day to do all 8 stalls
Tesla often does maintenance 1 cabinet / 4 stalls at a time, so that a whole 8 stall site does not need to be completely down. But, a V4 upgrade is a different animal. Looks like they are replacing HV wiring too, but probably are leaving the existing V3 charging cabinets in place, unless this happens to be the premiere site for V4 charging cabinets!

Tesla often does maintenance 1 cabinet / 4 stalls at a time, so that a whole 8 stall site does not need to be completely down. But, a V4 upgrade is a different animal. Looks like they are replacing HV wiring too, but probably are leaving the existing V3 charging cabinets in place, unless this happens to be the premiere site for V4 charging cabinets!
Doubtful on the cabinets. They are doing new V4 with V3 cabinets and there has been no indication that they need to change the cabinets to enable V4 because currently it is more just a different format post with longer cable and the ability to upgrade later. V4 on the plans does show larger gauge wiring so I guess they would have to pull new wires for each post and from the cabinets to the switchgear. Makes for a longer install but maybe this is the test case.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
v3 charging posts have used 350MCM AL wire to the posts. Specs for v4 posts use 600MCM AL wire instead. So yes, they need to pull new wire.

I was just reviewing the Danvers, MA site plan I found last year and came across this little detail confirming the charging bases they've adopted and have been installing in many sites over the past year are absolutely being done with v3-->v4 post replacements in mind.
v3tov4upgrade.jpg

Doubtful on the cabinets. They are doing new V4 with V3 cabinets and there has been no indication that they need to change the cabinets to enable V4 because currently it is more just a different format post with longer cable and the ability to upgrade later. V4 on the plans does show larger gauge wiring so I guess they would have to pull new wires for each post and from the cabinets to the switchgear. Makes for a longer install but maybe this is the test case.
Yeah, I agree on the cabinets. Elon has said that V3 cabinets can do ~324kW, and others have stated 1000v capability, but I don’t know if we will see the promised 350kW until V4 cabinets show up somewhere, but I guess with the existing 600+ amp capability, plus the potential of 1000v, certainly means that V3 cabinets may indeed easily hit 350kW+… Who knows… (Definitely need the bigger wiring and the V4 stalls though.)
Plus, we need to see the charging specs of the CyberTruck, or maybe a Magic Dock + 800v+ car will set a new supercharger record!

Reactions: GhostSkater
:)
Sorry, there are a lot of speculated/estimated V4 specs on TMC threads and on YouTube, and some actual site plans have been posted too, so I won’t try to re-recite them, but they do show that V4 charging pylons are notably different (not just visually) than V3 ones.
Have site plans with actual power specs of V4 been posted? I know they have put the wiring plans for the alternate posts in most recent plans, but I have not seen electrical specs for V4 posts, only V3 cabinets. As we know, the posts don't control the power so the magic is in the cabinets. V4 posts can handle higher amperage which is why they require 600mcm vs 350mcm for V3.