Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger speed: 116kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a good app to look at charge state for android?
I assume you are talking about something above and beyond the Tesla app itself which will show the state of charge perfectly well. Something that illustrates the state of charge over time? While not an app, TeslaFi.com gathers some excellent data and produces nice plots of that data while charging.

One guy in China posted a picture of his 100D (not sure if X or S) charging at 128 kW.
JayinShanghai on Twitter
Dy5qq6YU0AE7bkl.jpg

125 miles in 15 minutes !!!

View attachment 277091

1 February 2017 @ Kettleman City, California USA

I'm very disappointed with my M3DMLR's charging speed. I regularly get only 25W which results in about 100 miles/hr. I've tried a number of different locations and different superchargers at each location and with varying levels of current charge and at different hours, often with no other cars present/charging. I took it in for service it was so bad. Service kept it for a week and returned it to me with a report stating there was nothing wrong! Anyone out there have any ideas? I am not willing to take it on a trip, having to wait 3 hoes for a full charge!!

I'm very disappointed with my M3DMLR's charging speed. I regularly get only 25W which results in about 100 miles/hr. I've tried a number of different locations and different superchargers at each location and with varying levels of current charge and at different hours, often with no other cars present/charging. I took it in for service it was so bad. Service kept it for a week and returned it to me with a report stating there was nothing wrong! Anyone out there have any ideas? I am not willing to take it on a trip, having to wait 3 hoes for a full charge!!

That does sound bad. Probably not the problem but are you sure you’ve warmed up the battery? You’ve got to drive a long way to warm up the battery enough to charge at the full rate. For example I let my car cool down overnight and got only 60kw at 30% SoC on the same charger that I got 120kW the night before.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX

To evaluate, we need:
1) Typical temperature the car was stored at before you went to the SC, and how long you drove before getting there
2) SoC at which you're getting 25kW

Do you have home charging? If you're relying on the local Supercharger, your short trips around town likely aren't long enough to get the battery warm. It looks like San Francisco has been in the upper 40s and lower 50s overnight recently, which is cool enough to significantly impact charging speed. Try taking the car on a longer trip, perhaps 120 miles away, to properly test your charging.

Reactions: IdaX
Try taking the car on a longer trip, perhaps 120 miles away, to properly test your charging.
It’s not the distance that matters as much as the discharge rate to warm the battery. Heat generated in the battery is a squared function of current. Fast acceleration and regen will potentially add heat to the battery faster than driving even at highway speeds. For example, we recently drove our car 2 hrs downhill, at 55-70mph, in cold (SoCal) weather to only get 39kW from an Urban Supercharger. I can’t prove we still had a cold battery but that’s what I expect.

It’s not the distance that matters as much as the discharge rate to warm the battery. Heat generated in the battery is a squared function of current. Fast acceleration and regen will potentially add heat to the battery faster than driving even at highway speeds. For example, we recently drove our car 2 hrs downhill, at 55-70mph, in cold (SoCal) weather to only get 39kW from an Urban Supercharger. I can’t prove we still had a cold battery but that’s what I expect.

Yes, of course. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I've also experienced slow charging after a two hour drive, but due to cold weather rather than downhill travel.

Reactions: Zoomit
Wow! Very good! The Model 3 LR is going to be a road tripping machine!

What was the displayed Mi/hr charge rate?

I believe the fastest superchargers can output 145kW max...but it doesn't look like any Tesla built so far can accept that kind of charge rate.
That does sound bad. Probably not the problem but are you sure you’ve warmed up the battery? You’ve got to drive a long way to warm up the battery enough to charge at the full rate. For example I let my car cool down overnight and got only 60kw at 30% SoC on the same charger that I got 120kW the night before.

To evaluate, we need:
1) Typical temperature the car was stored at before you went to the SC, and how long you drove before getting there
2) SoC at which you're getting 25kW

I live in CA do it never gets too cold. This morning was a 7 Mile drive to the SC but I also have seen similar after driving 35 miles from work in the afternoon. I've taken lots of pictures and provided some to Tesla service. I've used multiple SCs: San Jose off Almaden Expressway, San Mateo, Los Gatos. Etc.

Do you have home charging? If you're relying on the local Supercharger, your short trips around town likely aren't long enough to get the battery warm. It looks like San Francisco has been in the upper 40s and lower 50s overnight recently, which is cool enough to significantly impact charging speed. Try taking the car on a longer trip, perhaps 120 miles away, to properly test your charging.
IMG_20190320_141136.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: David99