Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger speed: 116kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do have one at home but I'm afraid to go in a trip because it could take 3 hours to charge from empty to full. That means I either need all kinds of time, which I don't, or I use another car, which is what I've been doing

120 miles away would still leave you with plenty to get home. Or you could take 120 miles in a loop, so you're already back near home.

(Driving hard for a couple miles is not going to do the trick)

It's just something you can try to determine whether the issue is battery temperature or not. If it works fine after 120 miles, then you're all good, there's no problems. If not, then you need to go back to the service centre (ideally after the quarter-end rush ;) ) with the new info you've collected and insist on them telling you what exactly is limiting you.

I definitely see regen limits on a 40F battery, so you can't expect it to charge at full speed until it is warmer than that.

The person reported 27 kW charge rate after driving 35 miles in northern California where it is 50 to 60 F right now. Worst case the battery was 55, probably higher. Temperatures definitely wasn't the cause to get such a low charge rate.

this weekend after driving my MS for 120miles i only got 54kw with 80 miles left from full with heating on twice at the same SC later on next day batterys temp at arround 45deg 32/35kw then the last stop with 100 miles left after 2hrs driving 102kw for 5 seconds then slowly dropped back to 35kw never been that slow before 2 different superchargers 4 different stalls

The person reported 27 kW charge rate after driving 35 miles in northern California where it is 50 to 60 F right now. Worst case the battery was 55, probably higher. Temperatures definitely wasn't the cause to get such a low charge rate.

The Model 3 is much more conservative with charging speed when the battery pack is cold. It’s certainly possible.

@Racerrich have you taken it on a longer trip yet? Let us know how that goes.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
It varies from solid all the way to about 1/3 of the way dashed when starting, and I get the message the brake Regen is limited but rarely have I noticed that during any of my charging woes.

In my experience, with any dots showing, charging will be limited to 40 kW or below. If the dots are a quarter of the way across or more, plan on under 25 kW. Charging speed can even be limited (although not to the same extreme) with no dots showing.

Reactions: Zoomit
The Model 3 is much more conservative with charging speed when the battery pack is cold. It’s certainly possible.

@Racerrich have you taken it on a longer trip yet? Let us know how that goes.
Not yet. Work is very consuming this week. Unfortunately it will be next week before I'm able to test everyone's ideas, I've only drive 8 miles this week, I don't think I'll be able to get to 120 Miles in a single trip though-that does sound unreasonable to get sufficient charge rates, unless if course Tesla is trying to discourage using SCs for only road trips? I have she'd other M3 owners charging at the same time and they were all getting significantly higher rates. Again, I'll report back next week. Thank you again for the insight!!

The idea of having to drive 120 miles to get an adequate charge rate was concerning. How much warmer are things going to get than after 32 miles? This was typical where I'd seen the low rates but I parked at a stall that I'd not used before, after contacting Tesla and finding out that the SCs that I normally use are not in the best health, although I have compared to other people charging getting double what I was. I also drove a bit harder than normal this morning on the way to work, 32.6 miles. I took pictures of everything to make sure there was no question. No dots. Battery at 115 of 310 miles. Outside temp at 54. Initial charge rate 79kw at 321mph. The highest, by far, that I've ever seen it! It dropped off fairly quickly to 59kw at 240 mph at 173 miles and keeps dropping. 54kw at 219 mph at 186 miles. 49kw at 199 mph at 200. 44kw at 179 mph at 232. 35kw at 144 mph at 250. 26kw at 105 at 268. Not what is advertised but certainly way, way better than I've ever seen. Hopefully this wasn't a fluke! If I see something dramatically different next time, I will send an update. Thank you all the feedback.

Battery at 115 of 310 miles. Outside temp at 54. Initial charge rate 79kw at 321mph. The highest, by far, that I've ever seen it! It dropped off fairly quickly to 59kw at 240 mph at 173 miles and keeps dropping. 54kw at 219 mph at 186 miles. 49kw at 199 mph at 200. 44kw at 179 mph at 232. 35kw at 144 mph at 250. 26kw at 105 at 268. Not what is advertised but certainly way, way better than I've ever seen.

You're charging too soon. The high charge rates are only from about 10% to 60%. After 60% they taper off quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
The battery is an enormous thermal mass. It's not like an internal combustion engine that generates enormous amounts of heat quickly due to the fact that it works by blowing stuff up inside of it! Heat in the battery will build consistently, but slowly (and the opposite is true when it's cooling). So no, I wouldn't necessarily expect 32 miles of driving to bring the battery to the optimal thermal point if it was significantly cold soaked. Which brings up another point...it might have been 54 outside at the time you charged, but more important: what was the temp overnight the night before? That is more indicative (+ 32 miles of driving) of the battery temp when you arrive at the charger than the ambient temp at the point you arrive at the charger.

I thought the same thing at first, but if he was at 115 miles of range remaining, thats 37% remaining (out of 310), so that's probably not it.

Overnight temp is an interesting datapoint, as RTPEV suggests

Good news. 120 miles is not needed to warm the batteries, at least in CA. I have no idea what changed. Maybe Tesla really did something when they had my car, even though they said there was nothing wrong? I've charged twice since. Both at the same stall at the same sc and both times were great. The highest rates that I ever have seen. 299mph. Wow! I'm very happy! Could have been bad superchargers, Tesla did something to improve my car, I let the battery drain a little lower than normal both times, I don't know but I'm happy! Thank you again for all of the input.

Attachments

• IMG_20190411_034531.jpg
    IMG_20190411_034531.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 89
Wow! Very good! The Model 3 LR is going to be a road tripping machine!

What was the displayed Mi/hr charge rate?

I believe the fastest superchargers can output 145kW max...but it doesn't look like any Tesla built so far can accept that kind of charge rate.

The Hawthorne, CA V3 SuperChargers went live today! Plugged in and the display showed me 250KW for a short time and finished up about 15 minutes later still going at 183KW. Not a full charge for me... about 75 - 80%.
1V+M18FCQvK4sA5XgKeG1A.jpg
fullsizeoutput_124c.jpeg

Good news. 120 miles is not needed to warm the batteries, at least in CA. I have no idea what changed. Maybe Tesla really did something when they had my car, even though they said there was nothing wrong? I've charged twice since. Both at the same stall at the same sc and both times were great. The highest rates that I ever have seen. 299mph. Wow! I'm very happy! Could have been bad superchargers, Tesla did something to improve my car, I let the battery drain a little lower than normal both times, I don't know but I'm happy! Thank you again for all of the input.
Wow! Charged this morning and saw 463 mph!!!! Incredible!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20190424_035743.jpg
    IMG_20190424_035743.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 47