Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Swartz Creek, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meijer seems to be really interested in growing their partnership with Tesla. Also, Tesla seems to be very interested in making significant expansions to the Supercharger network this year.
That sounds like the deal Tesla has around this area with Hy-Vee. It does seem like there's a lot more 'coming soon' pins on the map than I remember, but there's still no super chargers planned for western Illinois, and only one hold over from previous years for Iowa right now.

Were these locations that had shown up as planned, or ones that just turned up out of the blue?

I was at the Meijer store in Swartz Creek, Mi today. Looks like they have started construction. Not sure how many stalls it will be.

I also talked to the clerk in the gas station store and asked what they were building there. He said it was a Tesla battery charger. Good enough for me!

@Big Earl

IMG_6830.jpeg

IMG_6828.jpeg

I was at the Meijer store in Swartz Creek, Mi today. Looks like they have started construction. Not sure how many stalls it will be.

I also talked to the clerk in the gas station store and asked what they were building there. He said it was a Tesla battery charger. Good enough for me!
Yes, that's definitely a supercharger. Good spotting! 5 Supercharger Cabinets (the bigger white ones) ----> 10 Stalls (# of cabinets x 2)

Kinda hard to tell from the picture since Google Map's streetview doesn't cover the area, but, from the little that is viewable and knowing other installations, I think the chargers are going in HERE. Is that right, @mrau ?
GPS: 42.967440, -83.828794

@BlueShift @Chuq

Are those version 3 chargers? The version twos I’ve used had the fan vents at the top. These are at the bottom.

Yes, those are regular v2 machines. The vent hoods will be moved to their proper location at the top of the unit when they’re done wiring it. I’ve seen the hoods on the bottom in other installation jobs, later to be moved to the top, so this seems normal.

B40DC9C8-47E3-4A68-9AAE-B5E9312FD689.jpeg
I just stopped by the Schwartz Creek Meijer, no progress on the Supercharger, it looks just as it did in the pictures above.

There is an area about 20 feet away that has conduit sticking up from the ground that might be involved. Maybe waiting for a transformer from the power company or something.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and mrau
Stop by Swartz Creek and took some photos today. Good call by @iaflyer on the transformer box location. It has been installed about 60 feet from the Supercharger location. So some good progress is being made.

It appears this location will have parking on both sides of the Superchargers (5 on each side) and not in just one long row like most I have seen. Happy to see them moving right along with construction.

Sw Creek SC1.jpeg
Sw Creek SC2.jpeg
Sw Creek SC3.jpeg

A week later it pretty much looks the same...
[pics]
There is supposedly a shortage of some Tesla supercharger parts right now (this according to comments from the builders at other superchargers in the Maine/New Brunswick area), though I'm not sure on which ones exactly. If that's true, it could be the issue holding up progress on this site.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau
There is supposedly a shortage of some Tesla supercharger parts right now

From the pictures I've seen of the ones under construction around the country, it looks like they don't have the stalls right now. Most places have all the other bits done, but the actual part where you'd plug in your car seems to be missing. That's certainly true here. So I suppose I would agree that there does indeed seem to be a shortage of those parts. Now perhaps the stalls are in the storage container here and they are waiting on something else...but it does seem to be something related to the stalls at many locations right now.

As long as it doesn't take as long as Gaylord we should be happy... Some of the other sites around the country that were waiting on cabinets are starting to open, so perhaps there's hope that this one will get the needed parts soon.

No new activity at the Swartz Creek site as of 6/21/19. Still looks the same. Reported by @Boilermaker that no new activity at the Hudsonville, Mi site either. Could be a parts shortage.

National parts shortage, it seems. Several locations are built but awaiting equipment.

My understanding is that GF3/Buffalo will be building Supercharger Version 3 and they're currently working on bringing that online, but I don't know what's going on with Version 2 equipment. Site buildout between the two versions is completely different, both structurally and electrically, so it isn't like they're waiting so they can upgrade these under-construction sites to V3.

• Informative
Reactions: mrau