Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger team sacked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you prove the opposite. As a Tesla investor I have spent the last few years filtering through so much garbage and FUD it gets quiet tiring (Reuters, Electrek being prime examples). Lots of news outlets taking a fact (if we are lucky) and drawing their own generally gloom and doom conclusions. It's been surprising learning that opinion is now considered news.

Interestingly despite it all Tesla keeps growing. Last I looked where at are about 60,000 superchargers worldwide and growing.

So Tesla is doing one of it's every X years pruning exercises (bloody tough on those impacted and I feel sorry for them), but ultimately all it does is reduce their OPEX.

So let's catch-up in 12 months on this thread and you can tell me how wrong I am 🙂.

Yes feel free to retort with 'oh he is just a Tesla fanboi', but I have skin in the game and if I suspect the company is going in the wrong direction I'm out.
Do you get as ticked off by all the crap Musk has spouted over the years? He continually over promises and under delivers. Still no shortage of people who hero worship him as the second messiah though.

I’m still waiting for “autosteer on city streets” that I was promised by the end of 2019. That’s why I, and many others, have taken Tesla to court to get a refund on Fake Self Driving that we wasted our money on.

Do you get as ticked off by all the crap Musk has spouted over the years? He continually over promises and under delivers. Still no shortage of people who hero worship him as the second messiah though.

I’m still waiting for “autosteer on city streets” that I was promised by the end of 2019. That’s why I, and many others, have taken Tesla to court to get a refund on Fake Self Driving that we wasted our money on.
Patience. Apparently in two weeks.

The whole FSD thing has been interesting. Seems to have involved a lots of 2 steps forward and 1 back iterations. Get impression V12 is getting there, finally. Hell even Fred from Electrek seems to be a little positive on the matter.

I tried the enhanced autopilot as part of a 30 day trial a few years ago and I'd be generous to describe it as useless so could not see point in buying FSD at time.

With regards the divisive Mr Musk, I take the view the whole electrification of transport would not be happening without him so he is either a necessary evil or the Messiah depending on your viewpoint 🙂

Reactions: KennethS
Patience. Apparently in two weeks.

The whole FSD thing has been interesting. Seems to have involved a lots of 2 steps forward and 1 back iterations. Get impression V12 is getting there, finally. Hell even Fred from Electrek seems to be a little positive on the matter.

I tried the enhanced autopilot as part of a 30 day trial a few years ago and I'd be generous to describe it as useless so could not see point in buying FSD at time.

With regards the divisive Mr Musk, I take the view the whole electrification of transport would not be happening without him so he is either a necessary evil or the Messiah depending on your viewpoint 🙂
Musk takes chances, moves fast and breaks things. That made Tesla successful. (But not some of his other ventures).
Now that Tesla is a large company, Musks style is dangerous.
Tesla needs adult leadership.

I think that's a very good point. I mean even now with V12 they are effectively saying they are throwing out 300k lines of code they'd written I guess for V11 to make that work. They've multiple times picked a path for FSD that maybe initially seemed to make sense but ultimately just didn't scale to get them to the end solution.

It does feel like now they do have the right approach, it's working and now it just needs refinement and improvements. I'm not expecting them to have to throw it all away again and pick yet another approach.

Reactions: cliff harris
IT's not unusual for American companies to behave this way. People are seen as expendable and are often rehired when needed again.
To some degree yes on the expendable point. For many decades GE was amongst the best performing conglomerates in the world. The CEO for much of that period was Jack Welch, also known as "Neutron Jack". He implemented a requirement for all line managers that every year they had to fire not less than 10% of their workforce. They could hire to fill vacancies but were forced to annually chop at least 10% of staff. His view was momentum among employees caused bloat and by forcing staff cuts the lowest performers would be chosen to be ousted. It also resulted in an annual reassessment in each business line of needed headcount. Not nice, albeit effective by some measures, and an indication of the corporate mindset of some. I don't think that would ever be acceptable in other countries (nor even in the USA now).

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
We won't be buying another Tesla as long as Musk is at the helm. I think he wants a company with zero employees lol.
Don't get it, why would you base your purchasing decision on anything other than which product is the one that is the best ie is closest to meeting whatever criteria you have defined.

I'm not buying a Tesla cos I don't like the CEO. Apologies maybe it's just me but It strikes me as 'cutting your nose off to spite your own face'.

I'm also inclined to give the bloke with Asperger's a bit of leeway when it comes to interaction with the rest of the world

But each to their own it's a free world (still). 😁

Don't get it, why would you base your purchasing decision on anything other than which product is the one that is the best ie is closest to meeting whatever criteria you have defined.

I'm not buying a Tesla cos I don't like the CEO. Apologies maybe it's just me but It strikes me as 'cutting your nose off to spite your own face'.

I'm also inclined to give the bloke with Asperger's a bit of leeway when it comes to interaction with the rest of the world

If you made all of your purchasing decisions based on whether or not you don't like the CEOs politics, etc., you would never buy anything. Most CEOs are right wing (they just don't advertise it like Musk does).
Look up Henry Ford if you want an eye-opener.

For those saying this was another made up, Fred / Electrek FUD story earlier in this thread, here's a link to George Bahadue's (formerly Sr. Manager, Site Acquisition and Business Development - Commercial Charging, at Tesla - until 3.34am today) Linked In post about his dismissal.
I don't think anyone was questioning the veracity of statements that these people have been let go. It's the leap from that to, "Tesla is halting the further expansion of the supercharger network for the foreseeable future" type of predictions that was questioned. Or at least I think that was it.

I don't think it's the best car in the world. I still prefer driving my compact SUV over our Model 3. Autopilot is made more useless with each update and we can't turn the windshield wipers off. I don't like how Musk treats his employees and I don't agree with his political views. I don't feel sorry for him because he may or may not have a mental health issue. How am I cutting off my nose to spite my face when I'm not in love with Tesla products. Although, I do want to see Tesla succeed and I hope things turn around for the EV industry as a whole.