Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crew here now installing the 3 V3 chargers. Had to use EA Charger in Wagon Mound to make it from Las Vegas NM with a full charge... so really hope they add something in the middle, or I'll have to pay EA instead of Tesla...lol

IMG_1776.JPG

Did you under charge at Las Vegas? It’s only 124 miles which should be doable even in a BTX5 car at +5-10PSL taking off with ~75%..

edit: Hol’ Up, is that you with the trailer? That explains it.
Crew here now installing the 3 V3 chargers. Had to use EA Charger in Wagon Mound to make it from Las Vegas NM with a full charge... so really hope they add something in the middle, or I'll have to pay EA instead of Tesla...lol

View attachment 731546

• Funny
Reactions: Sasmania and CO_MY
Did you under charge at Las Vegas? It’s only 124 miles which should be doable even in a BTX5 car at +5-10PSL taking off with ~75%..

edit: Hol’ Up, is that you with the trailer? That explains it.
Yep, that's my trailer...about 3000Lbs with the load. There was also a nasty crosswind that didn't help either! At this point, Tesla should not have any 100+ mile gaps on the interstates, not just for towing but for more options for all and to spread the demand around.

2 of the 6 V2 superchargers were out of order today, including the drive-in spot 1A shown above. I wish the V3s had been online. We had a line of 5 or 6 cars. And a punk new driver in a new M3 cut the line for one of the 4 spots. I wish Tesla had a queueing system built into the UI to help folks take turns.

2 of the 6 V2 superchargers were out of order today, including the drive-in spot 1A shown above. I wish the V3s had been online. We had a line of 5 or 6 cars. And a punk new driver in a new M3 cut the line for one of the 4 spots. I wish Tesla had a queueing system built into the UI to help folks take turns.
Did you then form a line in front of the punk Model 3?

F
That doesn’t bode well for our upcoming trip up north..

If it’s full I’ll just go the EA across the highway.

This route (CO Springs to PHX, or vice versa) is often challenging even with a LR Model 3, often because of the speed limit, cold, head winds, elevation changes, etc. Add in occasional lines at the chargers on busy weekends, but mostly due to occasional charger reliability since most are pretty old (in Tesla terms). It can be a pain to have to over charge at one stop because inter-charger distances are large and availability might be limited at the next stop. Hopefully Tesla will address this route soon…

How?

Payson -> Holbrook -> Gallup -> (a or b)

a) Farmington -> Montrose -> Glenwood Springs -> Idaho Springs -> Denver

b) Albuquerque -> Las Vegas -> Trinidad -> Monument -> Denver
For "a)" Make that Farmington -> Montrose -> Poncha Springs -> Conifer -> Denver (with the caveat that US 50 is mostly blocked by construction on weekdays at Little Blue Creek Canyon for the time being: Home | US 50 Little Blue Creek Improvements )

No local would travel from Montrose to Denver via I-70, although that would be a better route for hauling a trailer because of the extra lanes. For those not hauling trailers, the US 50, US 285 route is shorter, more scenic and more fun to drive.

More chargers isn’t a bad thing, just was curious since that set of routes should be doable on anything but an S60/X60 without having to slow down.
I routinely do all of those trip legs in my S-60 with a 20% degraded battery (167 RM). Yes, I have to charge to a much higher SOC, so it takes longer than it does in the longer range cars.

Also, everything from Payson AZ to Denver is at moderately high, to high, altitude, so cars tend to get better than EPA rated mileage, due to reduced aerodynamic drag. That means that Nav tends to overestimate the energy required to make a trip leg unless one is a speed demon.

FWIW.