Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger troubles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at the Oxnard supercharger and had issues. I arrived at 45% was planning on charging to 90% while I was at the mall I get a notification on my phone that charging has interrupted at 80% my phone says the charging will start momentarily I go to the car and it still says that. I disconnect and reconnect and still shows will charge momentarily I look at the connector and it is green then blue then goes back to green. I moved to another charger and does the same thing.

I called roadside and they said they where having intermittent issues but there was around 5 other people charging and didn't seem like they had any issues.

Mine also stopped supercharging. Had some charging issues at home but got these resolved. Still supercharging does not work.
Just over 3 years old S85 @ 57000 miles: The vehicle’s Charger Assembly will need to be replaced - estimate 2,500 $

How was yours resolved? Just wonder whether the service center is taking it too easy and just replacing the charger rather fixing true cause.

Mine also stopped supercharging. Had some charging issues at home but got these resolved. Still supercharging does not work.
Just over 3 years old S85 @ 57000 miles: The vehicle’s Charger Assembly will need to be replaced - estimate 2,500 $

How was yours resolved? Just wonder whether the service center is taking it too easy and just replacing the charger rather fixing true cause.

Supercharging bypasses the onboard charger and goes straight to the battery.

Thanks - I have dual chargers. My understanding was that these are only used when i charge at home - up to 40 A from my Nema 14-50 outlet or up to 80 A from a HPWC. If supercharging goes straight to the battery i really wonder why an allegedly broken on board charger causes supercharging not to work. Will try to find and HPWC to see whether i can get it up to 80 A.

Copying what I just shared in another thread: While supercharging does still not work I had a chance today to test at an HPWC. I managed to get Amps up to 80 A. I am not an electrician but this would suggest that both dual chargers are working - correct? Here is the question - Tesla wants to replace the charger assembly - see also above - would I have 3 chargers on board (the dual and the apparently defective part)? What does this (defective) part actually do? I thought when supercharging the electrons go straight into the battery. I could obviously ask this question also to Tesla - but at first prefer an unbiased view from the group. Thanks for educating me. I have tried cleaning all contacts but that did not change anything.

Sorry just saw your post. They replaced part GEN2 CHRGER,MDLS (1014963-00-L)
I was very impressed with the service. We made an appt for 2pm Friday my wife was 10 min early they had a newish S75 ready to go for a loaner and was on her way home by 2pm. I called Saturday mid day and told me they didn't have the part and would have my car ready Tuesday. I called just before close because I was thinking of getting the LTE upgrade(decided to wait) while on the call about that they told me my car was ready. I asked if I could pick it up tomorrow and they said that service was closed but they could make special arangements with the staff that would be there. Car has supercharged flawlessly ever since.

The failure of Supercharging while AC charging still works is generally a problem with the high voltage junction box, as @apacheguy mentioned. But, it seems that the HVJB is somehow attached or associated with the primary/master charger or something like that, which is why that seems to be what needs to get fixed/replaced to correct it.

Reactions: Yuki Feng