Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tucson, AZ - E. Skyline Drive (La Encantada Mall)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ran to Apple tonight for some charging cables at La Encantada. While exiting the place through the back, we discovered some crates.
I knew the crates looked familiar and had to turn around for a picture. They're located at the upper level behind Anthropologie with about a dozen spots gated off. I can try to keep this place updated with progress, I live in the area!

Attachments

• GSZ2PA5.jpg
    GSZ2PA5.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_4748.jpeg
    IMG_4748.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 232
Ran to Apple tonight for some charging cables at La Encantada. While exiting the place through the back, we discovered some crates.
I knew the crates looked familiar and had to turn around for a picture. They're located at the upper level behind Anthropologie with about a dozen spots gated off. I can try to keep this place updated with progress, I live in the area!
So, right around here? From the image, looks like a good quiet spot.

Google Maps

Hey @BlueShift, looks like we can add a cone to supercharge.info

Reactions: Chuq
Those of us in Tucson who follow this sort of thing heard several months ago that this might be coming. The interesting thing to me is that this location has never appeared as a “coming soon” on Tesla’s supercharger map. I wonder how many other surprises we are in for?
This will surely be an urban charger location as this spot is pretty far from any freeway exit.

Good news and should absorb many of the local cheapskates :) who would otherwise clog the SE location that will be a lifeline for long distance travelers. It’s great that Tesla decided to change its original intent to only provide Supercharging for long distance trips to adding urban superchargers like these for the locals.

Looks like it could end up being urban. Only five Tesla crates are here but maybe 16 parking spaces are blocked off.

Tried to get more photos today but they had a semi pulled next to the area they were unloading and it was too busy to get near.

5 crates most likely means 10 charging stalls.

Also, I would not necessarily assume that this would be an "urban" supercharger, but it definitely could be.
At that location, I would absolutely assume it’s an urban charger as that’s the clientele it will primarily serve. That location is totally remote from any long distance travelers’ routes through Tucson.

Bit of a puzzling choice for a Tucson site. Nice that it's at a mall, but it's way out of the way for anyone going or coming on the interstate. The main access roads (Ina, etc.) aren't exactly wide and spacious. I mean, the more sc's the merrier, but Azred is right. I wonder why Tesla chose this location?

I'm guessing this has to be to prep for the model 3 roll out, where people pay to charge.
Definitely not convenient for long distance travel, but the Gila Bend, Casa Grande, and Rita Road chargers should take care of the road trip people just fine, I would say.

I'm guessing this has to be to prep for the model 3 roll out, where people pay to charge.
Definitely not convenient for long distance travel, but the Gila Bend, Casa Grande, and Rita Road chargers should take care of the road trip people just fine, I would say.
Yes and no. If you are driving to Tucson from Phoenix, and driving around Tucson during your stay, you will have to hit a supercharger on the way out, so going to either one of these out of the way locations is a little annoying. Also neither one is well-situated for travel south to Nogales, although I realize not many Teslas are headed down that way.

Yes and no. If you are driving to Tucson from Phoenix, and driving around Tucson during your stay, you will have to hit a supercharger on the way out, so going to either one of these out of the way locations is a little annoying. Also neither one is well-situated for travel south to Nogales, although I realize not many Teslas are headed down that way.
Well, that is true. If one is driving around Tucson, and not passing by this mall or rita road, then it is tight getting back. Tucson from phoenix is about 200 actual miles, or phoenix to tucson back to Casa Grande is about 160 miles. Not stopping at Casa Grande would just about drain my model 85D going 80 mph on the freeway, so I usually stop at Casa Grande for a little boost.

So I'll agree - one more SC near I10 north of Tucson would be nice for road trippers.

I'm guessing here as to why they picked this location...

This could have been a push by Macerich, the developer, offering incentives or money towards building it.

Macerich runs LaEncantada.

Their website also says they are the developers behind Fashion Square in Scottsdale (Tesla Store), Biltmore-Fashion Park (New supercharger going there now), and Kierland Commons (Tesla Store).

It'll be nice to visit when I get my MX late March.

Reactions: tmoz
You guys just don’t understand. This is not where you charge your Tesla if you are driving from LA to El Paso. This is where you charge your Tesla while you are shopping at Tiffany’s. :)
Kidding aside, that’s the same deal with the two new urban Superchargers in Scottsdale and N Phoenix area. Kierland location is great for shoppers as will the one being built at Biltmore Fashion, but neither is great for long distance travelers. As long as Tesla can pay for these urban sites via Model 3 usage fees, they are welcome developments and will certainly help out people who have no home charging solutions. Hopefully they aren’t slowing down the expansion to sites needed for long distance travel like Globe and Payson.

Reactions: David99 and araxara