Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Globe, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really wish this Globe location would become a reality. I make trips up to Lake Roosevelt from Tucson a couple times a year. Getting up there and back is rough with my LR AWD model . I made it when my car was brand new and still listed 300+ miles of range with about 5% charge left. Now it’s down to 280 ish now on a full charge. So I think it would be high likely I would no longer make it which is why we took my wife’s ICE last time.

Last edited:
Reactions: araxara
Please skip to the last line to avoid my therapy...

First, I must fall on my sword. I've been checking the wrong site for activity around a Globe, AZ SC. The Gila County website the publishes issued building permits has not been updated since May, so I called the county development director. Nice gentleman who explained to me that the City of Globe has their own building department that would issue permits for a SC within the city limits.

I called the Development Director at the City of Globe this afternoon and he shared that they've not seen anything come through their office. He did say that they would love to have that amenity in their community and would work to make plan review and permitting happen quickly.

All that said, there has been no activity around a Globe SC in neither the county nor the city.:(

Just stumbled across this article from last month; it claims that a supercharger will be installed during spring of this year, so, now.
Getting Charged: Globe is EV friendly for drivers - Globe Miami Times

Also claims that
- a destination charger was installed at the local RV Park
- 2 superchargers at Superior, but I think that's a typo for the destinations they have on Main Street near that ice cream shop

I'm hopeful, but at the same time, very skeptical. Or that could just be my inner pessimist coming through.

Tesla car chargers installed on Main Street, Superior - Copper Area News Publishers providing news coverage for Eastern Pinal and Southern Gila Counties
Tesla_3583-1024x768.jpg

Looks like destination chargers. Bummer.

Just noticed something, that spot where Tesla placed their supercharger icon on the map is right next to where the Gila RV Park is.

Attachments

• ScreenShot_20200305220325.png
    ScreenShot_20200305220325.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 118
  • ScreenShot_20200305220335.png
    ScreenShot_20200305220335.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 52
Just noticed something, that spot where Tesla placed their supercharger icon on the map is right next to where the Gila RV Park is.
That is merely a coincidence. The pin is placed there because that is the generic location for Globe on Google Maps. If you want to see what I mean, try navigating from anywhere to "Globe, AZ" on Google Maps and then zoom in on the Globe pin.

Just stumbled across this article from last month; it claims that a supercharger will be installed during spring of this year, so, now.
Getting Charged: Globe is EV friendly for drivers - Globe Miami Times

I'm confused by the mention of supercharger from the article:

"A supercharger – provided by _________________-is scheduled to be installed in downtown Globe this spring which will be capable of providing a 125 mile range on an hour of charge.

If they are talking about a Tesla supercharger, then 125 miles of range per hour is way slow. Any chance they are referring to another type of (50 KW?) DC fast charger?

I'm confused by the mention of supercharger from the article:

"A supercharger – provided by _________________-is scheduled to be installed in downtown Globe this spring which will be capable of providing a 125 mile range on an hour of charge.

If they are talking about a Tesla supercharger, then 125 miles of range per hour is way slow. Any chance they are referring to another type of (50 KW?) DC fast charger?
Yes, the article was clearly written by someone who is unfamiliar with EV charging and the various types of chargers. As a result, the safe assumption is that they garbled up whatever it was they were told. I wouldn't take this as evidence of an imminent supercharger.

No comments here for 2 years now.

I see that tesla.com/findus still lists Globe for a supercharger, projected 2023. No evidence of a permit being pulled yet. Would be great for me when heading east to El Paso and beyond from the Cottonwood area, because I can avoid the whole Phoenix Metro area by going through Payson and Globe and hitting the I-10 at Lordsburg NM.

There is now a supercharger in Payson, next supercharger on that route is 295 miles to Deming NM. That is too close for comfort in my MS100D with 335 original and current 325 mile range. There is an insanely slow destination charger at the Holiday Inn in Globe, but even after using that for an hour or so I got hit by two bad rain/hail storms from there to Deming, pulling into the supercharger at an indicated 6 miles left. I was driving the last bit on I-10 at 55 and close behind a large truck to get some draft help.;)

No comments here for 2 years now.

I see that tesla.com/findus still lists Globe for a supercharger, projected 2023. No evidence of a permit being pulled yet. Would be great for me when heading east to El Paso and beyond from the Cottonwood area, because I can avoid the whole Phoenix Metro area by going through Payson and Globe and hitting the I-10 at Lordsburg NM.

There is now a supercharger in Payson, next supercharger on that route is 295 miles to Deming NM. That is too close for comfort in my MS100D with 335 original and current 325 mile range. There is an insanely slow destination charger at the Holiday Inn in Globe, but even after using that for an hour or so I got hit by two bad rain/hail storms from there to Deming, pulling into the supercharger at an indicated 6 miles left. I was driving the last bit on I-10 at 55 and close behind a large truck to get some draft help.;)
I did the same drive in a S100D back in January 2019. Charged to 310 rated miles (close to my 100% at the time) in Payson and drove very carefully with no heat. I don't remember exactly how cold it was but there was snow on the ground in Safford so it definitely wasn't warm! One nice thing about this drive is you can bail out to Willcox if it looks like you aren't going to make it. It does add 43 minutes to the drive, but that's better than running out of juice in middle of nowhere SW NM. The Payson to Deming leg is 295 miles while the Payson to Willcox leg is only 205 so you should make that easily if you are being careful.

Reactions: VValleyEV
I did the same drive in a S100D back in January 2019. Charged to 310 rated miles (close to my 100% at the time) in Payson and drove very carefully with no heat. I don't remember exactly how cold it was but there was snow on the ground in Safford so it definitely wasn't warm! One nice thing about this drive is you can bail out to Willcox if it looks like you aren't going to make it. It does add 43 minutes to the drive, but that's better than running out of juice in middle of nowhere SW NM. The Payson to Deming leg is 295 miles while the Payson to Willcox leg is only 205 so you should make that easily if you are being careful.
Yup I am aware of the bailout to Wilcox option. LOL I got hit with the two violent head-on storms somewhere around Duncan I believe, when it would not have helped to turn around. I watched my “charge level upon arrival in Deming” drop minute by minute from 15% down below 5%, and as I said 6 miles left at Deming. A friend who was driving separately a few hours later and planning to meet me in El Paso got stranded with a sudden electrical problem around Duncan, had to have the truck towed partway back to get it serviced and couldn’t make it to the EP event. So altogether not the best trip.

LOL surprised that I have a few photos. One shows me following a truck at 50 mph on the last leg, I recall being much closer than it looks in the photo to get some benefit from his draft. And in lower left corner you see 10 miles of range left.

I am thinking the next time I take that route I should spend the night in that Globe Holiday Inn, after spending a good amount of time hiking along the way (Tonto Natural Bridge near Payson and Tonto National Monument along Lake Roosevelt, both terrific stops). Even at 6kw or so, overnight should be plenty.

1645987612673.jpeg

1645987666262.jpeg
1645987612673.jpeg1645987666262.jpeg

Last edited:
This is awesome; really makes an “East of the valley“ road trip much easier and less stressful (assuming Globe and Show Low both stay working; never know with EA lately). :(
I think I will still vote for Show Low in the Supercharger voting though…

Reactions: Big Ike
This is awesome; really makes an “East of the valley“ road trip much easier and less stressful (assuming Globe and Show Low both stay working; never know with EA lately). :(
I think I will still vote for Show Low in the Supercharger voting though…
I voted for Globe because I love that drive through the Salt River Canyon (and because we have a home in Pinetop where I can charge once up there)

Reactions: DeepBlueMN