TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Valley Stream, NY

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by youngeli, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Kalex

Kalex Member

72kW, 16 urban chargers, all by myself
    Another option is JFK superchargers 120kW, 4 stalls.
    Restaurants and shops close by.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  2. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

Honestly, considering the other NYC and LI supercharger sites, the urban superchargers are great. The other sites only have 4 stalls and thus are often full. I would much rather have a slightly slower max and great availability than waiting for a stall for 30 minutes and then getting the leftover electricity from a shared circuit.

• Like x 2
  3. blee321

blee321 Member

I have heard this location is unsafe especially at nighttime. Is this true?

4. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Define unsafe?

5. Kalex

Kalex Member

Roving security, purposely stopping by near the chargers.

Attached Files:

6. Asad1087

Asad1087 Member

I made you a quick mock up of Crime reports in the area based on Truia.com display.
    Hope this helps in some way.

[​IMG]

7. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

It is one of the more urban/poorer areas of Long Island. Granted, this is a mall location, not the projects.

• Like x 1
  8. blee321

blee321 Member

Looks like it’s right next to “highest crime” level area... not sure what that means.

9. Acegreat1

Acegreat1 Member

Nuck if you buck

10. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

If you're stopping at the charger from off the highway, you're probably going to come off Belt parkway and head straight down Sunrise for about a mile, which is a large and busy street with a high police presence. The chargers themselves are in the middle of the Green Acres Mall and shopping center complex. In my opinion, the most "unsafe" thing about it is the high amounts of traffic to the area (closest Walmart and Target for a lot of eastern Queens residents). You're probably more likely to get in an accident than robbed. The next closest charger is at JFK, and if you're talking about dodgy neighborhoods, it's way higher on that scale than Valley Stream.

I was charging here today and maxed out at 250 mi/hr. As expected, that's faster than my JFK average.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  11. blee321

blee321 Member

Reviews from plug share describe the location as "very sketchy" and "won't be back"... sounds like a pretty crummy location to me despite what people are saying.

12. Asad1087

Asad1087 Member

I plan on using it this weekend for my first charge. Getting my Model 3 tomorrow morning!

13. st50maint

st50maint Member

I would suggest going there yourself and see what you think.
    Counting my visits during construction, I have been there about 10 times. I never once saw anything "sketchy". I feel very safe there.

• Like x 2
  14. blee321

blee321 Member

@Asad1087 take some pictures. tell us what you think.
    Thanks in advance.

15. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

And risk a stolen camera!?

• Funny x 1
  16. Kalex

Kalex Member

These pictures
    I charge in the daytime, can't speak about night time. There's a roving security car at least when I am there.
    Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  17. ZBayChris

ZBayChris Member

I charged up at 6:20 this morning. No one else was charging. This Security car passed by several times. The chargers are totally visible from a major access road right behind them and a large parking lot in front of them. I would feel safer here than at many other SCs that are tucked away in corners or in the basement of a parking garage etc.
    BTW, The car’s supercharger map showed 4 stalls being used as I approached.
    The entire run of chargers were empty. When I left, it showed the same thing, and I was alone the entire 75 minutes (adding 231 miles). 4FBAD077-DF1B-4955-A1B0-6BE2AACB2D14.jpeg

• Like x 2
  18. tes-s

tes-s Active Member

I charged there at 11pm on a Wednesday night. Well lit in an open and visible area. Was not at all concerned.

• Like x 3
  19. Asad1087

Asad1087 Member

I charged today around 2:30 for an hour. I also saw that 4 stalls were being used on the map but no other cars were there. Another owner pulled up at the same time as me and moved around twice. Pulled up right next to me and complained that he wasn't getting full power. I explained to him that these are urban chargers and provide a consistent 70 kilowatts versus the variable output of a traditional Supercharger. He didn't want to believe me. :confused:

20. tes-s

tes-s Active Member

He could have simply looked at the nav system. It would have told him the max power of the supercharger.