Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Waco, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interestingly this location has one handicapped spot to 10 total spots. Whereas in the application to Southlake they are requesting 2 spots to 10 total.

Even one of the Southlake council members asked why do you need 2 handicapped charging spots

from your picture it looks like all 10 stalls are up and running, can't really say.

Also the throttling to 65 and subsequent increase to 96 should only happen if there was a car charging right next to yours (paired stall). Was that the case?

Stall 9 and 10 aren't fully connected and blocked off, 4A is out of order, and 1A is closed off as of today.

2A, 3A, 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B open

The other day someone plugged into 3B since it was further down. Kinda spaced not the way I expect (expected 1a,b, 2a, b, etc)

IMG_1875.JPG
IMG_1876.JPG
IMG_1877.JPG
IMG_1879.JPG

Happy to report that as of September 1, 2017, all 10 S.C.s are up and running. The numbering is not consecutive. 1b may be next to 3a, etc. This may matter because on my return trip there were more cars and I pulled into an empty space leaving a space open, but wasn't getting very fast charging rates (upper 40s to lower 50s). I moved over one space and immediately, the rate of charge popped up to 110! So, I started looking and sure enough, though I'd left open a physical space, the first charger I was at was actually using a charger that was the "b side" of another charger that was in use. I assume that accounts for the slower charge time.

The place next to it, Collin Street Bakery, is very Tesla friendly. Free tea, coffee or soft drink for Tesla owners and the checker made it clear that was for everyone in the car. 2 for us, 4 for the family in front of us. Not sure if it will always be that way, but, try it! Clean bathrooms, decent baked items and sandwiches.

IMG_0958.JPG

And how busy were these two SpCs during this peak Thanks Giving time?

On Wednesday I checked the Superchargers I can reach with a full charge from Houston in response to a short's tweet suggesting that the cars/supercharger ratio was getting too high and that we'd see fights breaking out. I checked every 2-3 hours from noon until 7:20. Summary chain here, actual data chain here. Austin was 100% twice, Waco was 90% once. I suspect part of that was due to San Marcos' expansion.

I'm a little surprised at how few responses/likes those received, probably due to people busy traveling or spending time with friends & family. I didn't do any followup for the return trips over the weekend as I was busy with family then.

I came across the supercharger in Austin filled up on my arrival Friday, but usually had some slots open most of the weekend. I think the Waco one filled up for a moment on my way back Sunday and looked full a couple of times when I checked earlier, but otherwise it was manageable. Free coffee at Collin street bakery will keep me stopping by whenever I am nearby, but they do close kinda early. Nothing else major nearby if that is the case, just bathrooms at the hotel most likely. I hope Buc-ee's adds some charging spots soon.

Reactions: Electroman
And how busy were these two SpCs during this peak Thanks Giving time?

We drove to Austin on Thanksgiving Day, stopping at the Waco Supercharger, which was bathed in glorious autumn morning sunlight. The station was busy but was not full. Collin Street Bakery was closed for the holiday, so it was a good thing we had our bio break at the Abbott rest area. I talked to two other Tesla owners charging on either side of me; one had a silver Model 3, which is a true unicorn given that color has been discontinued. The other driver had a gorgeous red Model S, but he was jonesing for my white 3 with aeros! I’ve met several Model S owners who want a Model 3.

We also charged in Austin the next morning (Black Friday). When we arrived there were four other cars there, and as we charged it filled up completely. A sign was chained to a nearby streetlight pole indicating a 40 minute charging limit, which was all I needed. The Austin location is my least favorite Supercharger site to date, as it’s not easy to get in and out of. I’m happy to hear it looks like another site is soon to get underway at the183/Mopac interchange, which will work out a lot better when we’re in Austin.

Reactions: Electroman
That's what I figured out from another thread. Free charging and free coffee is a hell of a deal.

When I was charging unpaired I saw 500 mi/hr (around the max 120kW). Wonder if these are capable of being unlocked to the new 145kW output?
The free coffee is just a way to help them track how many cars, maybe? I know the free charge costs me about $20-50 every time. (and pounds)