Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - West Yellowstone, MT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RE: Twin Falls to Tremonton... I have driven all over the west and plugged in at nearly every supercharger (every one but West Yellowstone, dammit!) and that is the worst interstate stretch I have seen in terms of range. I drove it in late January with temperatures ranging from 0F-10F and going my usual 10 over the speed limit which is 90mph in these parts.
I would have set the speed at 75 and left the heat on. I bet your range would have been much better that way.

Reactions: Rossy
RE: Twin Falls to Tremonton... I have driven all over the west and plugged in at nearly every supercharger (every one but West Yellowstone, dammit!) and that is the worst interstate stretch I have seen in terms of range.....
Agreed! Try it with a MS70 into a 20-30 mi head/cross wind at 20-25F where the semi in front of you appears to be traveling slightly sideways.;)

• Funny
Reactions: Rossy and Fiver
With anything less than an 85, I would probably just detour to Pocatello in winter.
Yup, I'd already considered that. Tremonton - Pocatello - Twin - Boise. Longer total distance, but shorter hops between chargers. The 149 some odd miles from Tremonton to Twin with an 80mph limit, lots of elevation changes, and frequent high winds is just killer. I think I normally clock ~450Wh/mile or higher on that stretch, in good conditions. It's so bad that when I head south instead of north, I forget I don't need to mentally add an extra 15-20% to the nav estimate :)

Sure but I would have gotten there 25 minutes later :)
Close, but not quite. :)

146.7 miles.

Average 90 mph: 1 hour, 37.8 minutes
Average 80 mph: 1 hour, 50 minutes (12.2 minutes slower)
Average 75 mph: 1 hour, 57.4 minutes (19.6 minutes slower)

That's of course assuming you could average those speeds for the duration, which isn't quite possible with the approach in each location.

I think you could have gone 80, had comfort in the form of heat, and it would have cost 10 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: Rossy and ccutrer

146.7 miles.

That's of course assuming you could average those speeds for the duration, which isn't quite possible with the approach in each location.

I think you could have gone 80, had comfort in the form of heat, and it would have cost 10 minutes.
I have such a hard time doing that math on the fly. I really should calculate it out. When I head south, I can barely make it from my house to Beaver, skipping Nephi. Or I can take 5-10 minutes of charging (not to mention the time lost slowing down at all) in Nephi and not worry about slowing down. The math probably shows that I would get to Beaver sooner if I don't charge, but drive 5-10mph slower. It's just such a mental block slowing down that it'll take longer.

I have such a hard time doing that math on the fly. I really should calculate it out. When I head south, I can barely make it from my house to Beaver, skipping Nephi. Or I can take 5-10 minutes of charging (not to mention the time lost slowing down at all) in Nephi and not worry about slowing down. The math probably shows that I would get to Beaver sooner if I don't charge, but drive 5-10mph slower. It's just such a mental block slowing down that it'll take longer.
Slowing down is also really hard to do. On our recent trailer towing trip, I had no choice. We went 55 (and sometimes slower) on the highway. At first, I was mortified and extremely aware of my speed, but eventually I settled into a great comfort with it, focusing more on consumption. It was also fun to point out to my wife, "hey, look, we're actually passing somebody!"

Reactions: ccutrer
Slowing down is also really hard to do. On our recent trailer towing trip, I had no choice. We went 55 (and sometimes slower) on the highway. At first, I was mortified and extremely aware of my speed, but eventually I settled into a great comfort with it, focusing more on consumption. It was also fun to point out to my wife, "hey, look, we're actually passing somebody!"
Inorite! Especially driving a Tesla. I'm hyperaware of "is someone making fun of me cause I don't have enough charge?!" You just have to get over it and accept it from the beginning. A few months before we got our X I towed a (open) trailer full of furniture from St. George to home, and it was easier knowing I had to drive slower otherwise the tarps would shred off and my couches would be ruined.

Reactions: ohmman

146.7 miles.

Thanks for the MATH lesson!

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
Thanks for the MATH lesson!
We had an interesting experience coming back east from vacation in Utah. A black S90 kept pace with us on i-70 through Colorado and Kansas. We drove at steady 75 mph. The other car would scream past us doing at least 90.

At the next SC, he would be charging when we pulled up, and still charging when we unplugged 20 min later and resumed our trip.

Then, after a while on the road, he would come screaming past again.

At the next SC, he would be charging as we pulled up, still charging when we left, and the scenario repeated.

We had an interesting experience coming back east from vacation in Utah. A black S90 kept pace with us on i-70 through Colorado and Kansas. We drove at steady 75 mph. The other car would scream past us doing at least 90.

At the next SC, he would be charging when we pulled up, and still charging when we unplugged 20 min later and resumed our trip.

Then, after a while on the road, he would come screaming past again.

At the next SC, he would be charging as we pulled up, still charging when we left, and the scenario repeated.
He probably had so much more fun than you! :)

I have been daily checking/logging my Nav for Tesla-reported outages (Reduced Service / Temporarily Closed) since the beginning of the year. I skipped looking during my vacation, and sporadically through the year. I have a slight tendency to overlook outages, perhaps missing about 5%. Sometimes, looking at the Nav, its like finding a red needle in a haystack of rose-colored needles. To compensate, I add 18 to my count of 362 daily, cumulative outages.

I also compensate my numbers, because the SuperCharger network is probably granularly reporting to the tune of every hour, but outages persist in a distribution from 1 hour to 30 days. Accordingly, I probably missed, ROUGHLY another 10% that came and went because of a brief power outage that happened between my observations.

Best estimate is 362+18+36 (416) outages over 190 days for, on average, 355 SuperCharger sites (count of sites has risen from about 345 to 376 over this period).

355*190 = 67450 site-days during my period of observations

A typical site can go about 162 days without Reduced Service or Temporarily Closed shown to the car's Nav (assumes that Tesla does not conceal charger status at the remote ends of the continent).

Based on data collected in Houston, TX during Jan - mid-July 2017, for a given SuperCharger site, odds are:
44% an outage occurs during the year; and
0.12% that any given SuperCharger has an outage on the day you travel to it.​

A road-trip that takes you through 16 SuperChargers has this probability of an issue:
.9988^16 uptime = .981 uptime ... or 1.9% of ANY SuperCharger causing a difficulty.

Given those odds, you could go for 10 years without seeing a problem like this -- truly an event that is as risky as having a road-side flat, except you still have options:
1) Find fuel on inbound leg, using alternative charging site(s)
2) Slow down ... identify hotels/restaurants, even grocery stores and gas stations that would tolerate your plugging in
3) Find fuel while using your buffer, after passing the SuperCharger
4) Waiting it out at the SuperCharger, depending on what prospects SeviceNA gives you on it being operational soon
5) Since many of the 'outages' were merely 'Reduced Service', just plan to be at the SuperCharger an extra hour, getting refueled
6) Bedding down for the night, assuming you were on last leg for the day
Many things could change over the next few years to change these resiliency statistics:
  • change in ownership of the SuperCharger network (e.g. create a non-affiliated federation of auto-manufacturers)
  • normal wear/tear on the cables
  • updates to the SuperCharger design
  • Rosie the Robot plugging the cable to your car, and giving it a quick feather dusting after every use;
  • financial distress of Tesla
  • AI taking over the world and showing who is boss by shutting down the entire SuperCharger network

I have been daily checking/logging my Nav for Tesla-reported outages (Reduced Service / Temporarily Closed) since the beginning of the year. I skipped looking during my vacation, and sporadically through the year. I have a slight tendency to overlook outages, perhaps missing about 5%. Sometimes, looking at the Nav, its like finding a red needle in a haystack of rose-colored needles. To compensate, I add 18 to my count of 362 daily, cumulative outages.

I also compensate my numbers, because the SuperCharger network is probably granularly reporting to the tune of every hour, but outages persist in a distribution from 1 hour to 30 days. Accordingly, I probably missed, ROUGHLY another 10% that came and went because of a brief power outage that happened between my observations.

Best estimate is 362+18+36 (416) outages over 190 days for, on average, 355 SuperCharger sites (count of sites has risen from about 345 to 376 over this period).

355*190 = 67450 site-days during my period of observations

A typical site can go about 162 days without Reduced Service or Temporarily Closed shown to the car's Nav (assumes that Tesla does not conceal charger status at the remote ends of the continent).

Based on data collected in Houston, TX during Jan - mid-July 2017, for a given SuperCharger site, odds are:
44% an outage occurs during the year; and
0.12% that any given SuperCharger has an outage on the day you travel to it.​

A road-trip that takes you through 16 SuperChargers has this probability of an issue:
.9988^16 uptime = .981 uptime ... or 1.9% of ANY SuperCharger causing a difficulty.

Given those odds, you could go for 10 years without seeing a problem like this -- truly an event that is as risky as having a road-side flat, except you still have options:
1) Find fuel on inbound leg, using alternative charging site(s)
2) Slow down ... identify hotels/restaurants, even grocery stores and gas stations that would tolerate your plugging in
3) Find fuel while using your buffer, after passing the SuperCharger
4) Waiting it out at the SuperCharger, depending on what prospects SeviceNA gives you on it being operational soon
5) Since many of the 'outages' were merely 'Reduced Service', just plan to be at the SuperCharger an extra hour, getting refueled
6) Bedding down for the night, assuming you were on last leg for the day
Many things could change over the next few years to change these resiliency statistics:
  • change in ownership of the SuperCharger network (e.g. create a non-affiliated federation of auto-manufacturers)
  • normal wear/tear on the cables
  • updates to the SuperCharger design
  • Rosie the Robot plugging the cable to your car, and giving it a quick feather dusting after every use;
  • financial distress of Tesla
  • AI taking over the world and showing who is boss by shutting down the entire SuperCharger network
Dare I ask what the odds were of encountering 2 different superchargers that were out of service on consecutive days? :) They went out as I was en route, so it wasn't like I was purposefully driving to them. And as far as I know they had no prior history of going in and out of service.

How can one tell if a particular SC location is down? I have tried to see if West Yellowstone is still down but have been unable to see it's status. I have used the the Find Us on the Tesla site and Supercharge info. I also tried to find the info in the car.
Car map says "Temporary Closure". Unfortunately, destination chargers cover supercharger flags on the map, so you need to zoom way out to see it and choose it.

@ Bighorn, it appears on my screen as faded red as do all the other SC's that are out of my area. When I tap on it I get location and amenities info but it does not indicate it is down. When you say car map do you mean the one you get when you touch the red arrow at the top of the screen, as that is the one I used?