Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wilsonville, OR (LIVE 17 Nov 2023, 8 V4 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The liquid cooled portion is just from the post to the vehicle. And they eliminated the insulation between the coolant and the cable for V4. (immersion cooled cables.)

But to support the eventual 1000v, I believe that they have to use different cable between the charge cabinets and the posts. So a V3 to 1000v V4 wouldn't be a simple upgrade.

At a minimum the NACS connector would have to be the 1000v version, which is easy to see.
Yes, that is why there are new V4 posts and they don’t just swap parts in the cabinets to enable 1000V for V3 posts. So like I said above, the thicker cable behind the NACS is more than likely due to higher ampacity (thicker wire) and not thicker insulation. Liquid cooling only allows for so much reduction in wire size as we saw with V2 to V3. Enabling up 1Mw charging is going to require thicker wiring.

ur famous now :) @cabbey

1697142626000.png

Looks like Asia (Hong Kong) has joined Europe in having V4 before Teslas homeland.
I see why Tesla and other automakers do this. Even with the refresh model 3.
They have way more support not only from the general public but at the government level.
Sadly our homeland is not really welcoming to the new ev era and many people still think that ev’s are a joke. Not getting into politics or anything like that. It’s slowly getting better.

That level of testing, with a generator, makes me think something is special about that site. V4 cabinets?
I agree, with the lack of transformer (which I think is Tesla's choice rather than a utility issue), and the testing with a generator. All of which wasn't done in sparks NV or in Alabama where there is a v4 installation with a transformer and V3 cabinets, leads me to think that Tesla might be testing the v4 cabinets and other new charging components themselves before connecting them to the grid.

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostSkater
I agree, with the lack of transformer (which I think is Tesla's choice rather than a utility issue), and the testing with a generator. All of which wasn't done in sparks NV or in Alabama where there is a v4 installation with a transformer and V3 cabinets, leads me to think that Tesla might be testing the v4 cabinets and other new charging components themselves before connecting them to the grid.
Do you really think they’d do this 3000 miles from the factory? You don’t think they’d run cables from a generator to cabinets and cabinets to posts with cables just laying on the ground in the factory?

I am sure they want to test but the timing of the transformer isn’t their call. They put the order in and it gets installed when it is available. They can easily disconnect from the transformer and run the site off a generator.

I would guess they are testing going to 300/350kw but not full V4 (1000V). Someone mentioned having their vin decoded for options and a line item indicated the onboard charger was capable of 300kw.