Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wilsonville, OR (LIVE 17 Nov 2023, 8 V4 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This have nothing to do with V4 really. They are till using V3 cabinets. 350kw total output plus extra input from other cabinets on the DC bus so in theory they could do more than 250kw at a single post and Elon hunted a while back about getting to 275kw or more with a simple software update but that would likely be on the car side. Someone reported in the Bakersfield V4 thread that there was a line item in newer MY that showed increased DC inout capacity beyond 250kw. How old is your MY?
July 2023 Model Y so may have increased DC in/out!

Battery conditioning as in heating and cooling the battery during charging, not interior climate control.
Isn't it both? I definitely notice more kW being delivered to the car when I have the heat on while supercharging. I always assumed it was delivering the most it could safely deliver to the battery and the excess was the for the cabin heater.

I was shocked to see Tesla shows a max of 250kw at this site instead of the 350 kw. I thought all V4 were 350kw. I’m only interested to try my Lightning out on a Tesla charger. It can’t even handle 350 so that part is a mute issue but I am concerned about cable length and that magic box connector. Are all of these chargers 10’ versions?

Google search on superchargers: What is the difference between V4 and V3 Superchargers? Tesla's V4 chargers are set to reach a maximum output of 350kW, which would improve charging times drastically.

I’m not very close (north of Vancouver) so it I probably won’t see anything until the spring on the way to Fessler’s for plants.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
I was shocked to see Tesla shows a max of 250kw at this site instead of the 350 kw. I thought all V4 were 350kw. I’m only interested to try my Lightning out on a Tesla charger. It can’t even handle 350 so that part is a mute issue but I am concerned about cable length and that magic box connector. Are all of these chargers 10’ versions?

Google search on superchargers: What is the difference between V4 and V3 Superchargers? Tesla's V4 chargers are set to reach a maximum output of 350kW, which would improve charging times drastically.

I’m not very close (north of Vancouver) so it I probably won’t see anything until the spring on the way to Fessler’s for plants.
There are two parts that make up a true V4 site, the pedestals that connect to the car and the electronics stack that provide power to the pedestals. This site has v4 pedestals but are being fed by v3 electronics so 250kw.

Reactions: Cal1
The v4 cables have a nameplate rating of 615kw (615A at 1kv) it’s the same amperage as the existing v3 chargers at a higher voltage, so hopefully it’s a simple upgrade on the cabinet side to feed higher voltage through the same cabling.

Its conveniently the exact same voltage and amperage as the DC input/output bus on the cabinets, so maybe there’s some clever way they have to route the 1000v bus straight into a charger.

Pic from

Attachments

• IMG_6330.jpeg
    IMG_6330.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 46
I’m only interested to try my Lightning out on a Tesla charger.
You're gonna have to wait on that – this site isn't yet setup in the Tesla app to charge non-Teslas (you can't access the Magic Dock even if you try), and the deal with Ford to setup access via FordPass or Ford Pro Intelligence won't start until next Spring (and will require you to bring your own adapter).

That might be perfect timing. ;)

Reactions: Cal1

I could be wrong, but I recall reading this early on, but I don’t think Tesla intends third party charging to enable anything more than 150kw, possibly the 250kw that many Tesla can do, but certainly not the 350kw that a site like this MIGHT enable for CT.. not enough room for Semi.

Its conveniently the exact same voltage and amperage as the DC input/output bus on the cabinets, so maybe there’s some clever way they have to route the 1000v bus straight into a charger.
It isn't that easy, because each car is likely at a different SoC, and voltage, and the charger has to match the current voltage of the car to not cause damage. (One car might be at 550v while another is at 920v, so you can't just hook them to the HV DC bus, you have to have a DC-to-DC converter in between.)

350kW V4 chargers are probably not going to improve charging times for 99%+ of Tesla owners. The current cars are simply not engineered to take that much juice that fast.

You might also be shocked to learn that non-Teslas are currently limited to about 150 kW at MagicDocks.

I’m shocked that this is shocking to a ten-year member of this forum. ;)

Just messing around. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. :)

Reactions: Avatempest and Cal1