Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Woodburn, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This site looked busy all afternoon as we approached. Got here 2:40, 4th in line, at 3:00 just before I plugged in, 2a & 2b went cold. Only 1 in line now (but the icon says those 2 stalls are available).
A big problem with these mall superchargers is that people who are just there to shop "opportunity charge" at the superchargers. Furthermore, people get caught up in what they are doing at the mall and don't get back to unplug promptly. Tomorrow will be an even busier travel day for those who are actually traveling. But it will probably be a less busy shopping day. Will be interesting to see how supercharger usage compares at this location.

A big problem with these mall superchargers is that people who are just there to shop "opportunity charge" at the superchargers. Furthermore, people get caught up in what they are doing at the mall and don't get back to unplug promptly. Tomorrow will be an even busier travel day for those who are actually traveling. But it will probably be a less busy shopping day. Will be interesting to see how supercharger usage compares at this location.

A set of Superchargers on the northbound Woodburn Exit, near the McDonalds and Burger King, would alleviate that "shopping opportunity charge" effect.

A set of Superchargers on the northbound Woodburn Exit, near the McDonalds and Burger King, would alleviate that "shopping opportunity charge" effect.

I wish locations like malls would have 8 to 12 destination chargers too. There are a lot of times I wouldn't mind killing a couple hours somewhere (movie, shopping and lunch, etc) and would totally plug into a destination charger instead of supercharger and then try to run out and move the car, or keep an eye on the app crossing my fingers that it doesn't get full enough for idle charges...

Wow. I just tripped over this thread. We've stopped in Woodburn three times over the last year or so, always as our first stop after visiting family in Canby for a few days. And since we're heading to Sacramento, always pretty early, say in the 7:00-8:00 range. We have either been alone or had one other Tesla there, so my impression has been of an underused Supercharger. I see I'm wrong! I guess being early, we at least miss the Mall Effect since it's not open yet.

Wow. I just tripped over this thread. We've stopped in Woodburn three times over the last year or so, always as our first stop after visiting family in Canby for a few days. And since we're heading to Sacramento, always pretty early, say in the 7:00-8:00 range. We have either been alone or had one other Tesla there, so my impression has been of an underused Supercharger. I see I'm wrong! I guess being early, we at least miss the Mall Effect since it's not open yet.
Of course every mall supercharger is empty when the mall isn't open. Most superchargers in general aren't getting much traffic that early in the morning.

Woodburn was showing as offline for a while today, several hours maybe. Any idea what happened?

It had me worried for a while as that used to be my first stop southbound from Seattle in a M3LR. Now that Salem is online I’m hoping I can make it there but Woodburn is my safety net.

I guess I’ll find out in an hour or so as we’re entering Portland now. I’m not the driver as I type this.

Woodburn was showing as offline for a while today, several hours maybe. Any idea what happened?

It had me worried for a while as that used to be my first stop southbound from Seattle in a M3LR. Now that Salem is online I’m hoping I can make it there but Woodburn is my safety net.

I guess I’ll find out in an hour or so as we’re entering Portland now. I’m not the driver as I type this.
Was Woodburn open? I had a grayed out pin so I skipped it because I wasn’t sure I could go further if it wasn’t so I stopped at the Salem SC at Target.

Was Woodburn open? I had a grayed out pin so I skipped it because I wasn’t sure I could go further if it wasn’t so I stopped at the Salem SC at Target.
Sorry for my delay replying. I wrote my post while enroute to Solvang CA for a week, so never checked for anyone’s reply until now. My bad.

After I left Salem, which I made without difficulty, I checked and Woodbury was back on line according to the Tesla app. I never did know the cause of Woodburn being offline.

But this begs a question. If you have a supercharger as the destination in the nav, would it alert you of supercharger outages or full usage so that you can take alternative actions to find some volts before you run out of options?

Sorry for my delay replying. I wrote my post while enroute to Solvang CA for a week, so never checked for anyone’s reply until now. My bad.

After I left Salem, which I made without difficulty, I checked and Woodbury was back on line according to the Tesla app. I never did know the cause of Woodburn being offline.

But this begs a question. If you have a supercharger as the destination in the nav, would it alert you of supercharger outages or full usage so that you can take alternative actions to find some volts before you run out of options?
No guarantee it hasn't been changed by a software update, but I was alerted twice of a power outage while navigating to a supercharger back in 2018 (give or take a year). Strangely they happened just a few days apart. One was a broad power outage resulting from a thunderstorm that I was driving through and therefore not that surprising. The other was supercharger related. When I arrived at the supercharger there was another owner there and he said when he plugged in the entire parking lot went dark lol. The first one had power restored within a couple hours. The other one resulted in the supercharger being out of commission for over a month so very bad timing on that one.

When I was in Eugene headed toward Woodburn, the Woodburn charger was grayed out in my Nav so I assumed it was offline and stopped in Salem instead.

The Nav directions for approaching Salem from the south are not the optimal route as it takes you through the business area. When you leave to continue north you realize how close you were to freeway on ramps and the Nav should have taken you one more exit for a more efficient approach to the charger.

Last time I went through Woodburn a few months back I had to to change stalls to get good speeds even though it was empty. The first one I tried actually crackled when I went to remove the plug! This site is high traffic and no doubt sees a lot of wear. Other experiences here have always been good.

It looks like Tesla will be adding 4 more superchargers to this location. From the Accela website:

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.24.02 PM.png

It looks like Tesla will be adding 4 more superchargers to this location. From the Accela website:
I wonder if they will take the opportunity to swap out the V2 equipment to make it all V3. I concur with the prior posting from 2021 about having to switch stalls here to get a working v2 stall on busy and hot days.

Have they ever done that at other recent expansions or do they just leave the v2 equipment as is. I’ve only seen combi-SCs at some very large (40+ stall) California sites like Kettleman City.