Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wytheville, VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they have plans to expand this one. Six stalls on an interstate isn't enough with the added Model 3 demand (there were a few cars waiting when we arrived). Is there any truth to the rumors that the local Sheetz is installing chargers?
I think this is the only charger I've come across in 5 years that has actually been at or near full capacity. I know all you west coast crew have congestion problems, but this is all new to us over here on the correct side of the country.

In my Model 3 I’ve juiced at Wytheville a few times, none of them for free. The rate is $0.21/kWh. The only supercharger that has been a no charge fill for me was Lima, OH. Other SC’s in OH did charge so I don’t know why Lima didn’t, but I liked it.

Another interesting (to me) factoid is that I charged once at the Greenville, South Carolina supercharger for free, and at another time was charged $0.20/min. Don’t know why but could have been whatever my state of charge was, though I don’t recall these numbers. All of the other dozen or so SC’s in MI, OH, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL I’ve used have charged my credit card, and charged consistently.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
In my Model 3 I’ve juiced at Wytheville a few times, none of them for free. The rate is $0.21/kWh. The only supercharger that has been a no charge fill for me was Lima, OH. Other SC’s in OH did charge so I don’t know why Lima didn’t, but I liked it.

Another interesting (to me) factoid is that I charged once at the Greenville, South Carolina supercharger for free, and at another time was charged $0.20/min. Don’t know why but could have been whatever my state of charge was, though I don’t recall these numbers. All of the other dozen or so SC’s in MI, OH, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, and FL I’ve used have charged my credit card, and charged consistently.

Lima might be a an electric co-op for their grid and I know you can get into funny situations with "reselling" electricity. That might be why you weren't charged, because they aren't allowed to based on their current agreements.

I agree with other posters: this is one of the few stations we've seen at or near capacity. There are many routes that go along or between 77/81 that send you through this station. Hopefully they add more stalls in the future. When driving from Virginia to Georgia, we usually make this our one long stop and grab something to eat at Waffle House. Our plans would fall apart if this station was regularly full.

Oddly enough, we did stop in Wytheville, but not to charge! My wife had to use the restroom by the time we got to Mt. Airy, so I plugged in there (which was enough to get us to our overnight stop without charging again). But by the time we got to Wytheville we were hungry, so I stopped to try out the Shoney's. Pretty big disappointment there. I doubt I will ever get my wife to go into another Shoney's for awhile. I didn't even go up to see what the charging situation was like at the time. I would probably pass on this one in the future if I wanted to stay and eat.

Oddly enough, we did stop in Wytheville, but not to charge! My wife had to use the restroom by the time we got to Mt. Airy, so I plugged in there (which was enough to get us to our overnight stop without charging again). But by the time we got to Wytheville we were hungry, so I stopped to try out the Shoney's. Pretty big disappointment there. I doubt I will ever get my wife to go into another Shoney's for awhile. I didn't even go up to see what the charging situation was like at the time. I would probably pass on this one in the future if I wanted to stay and eat.
Shoneys has a 0/10 WAF across the board.

Reactions: Kacey Green
WAF? Wife Acceptance Factor?
Wondering what that means myself.

I've been to other Shoney's that would have passed the WAC (Wife Acceptance Criteria), if only barely, but this was not one of them.

I wonder if restaurant franchises (or franchisees) are taking a look at the Supercharger map and considering options surrounding Supercharger sites.

Wondering what that means myself.

I've been to other Shoney's that would have passed the WAC (Wife Acceptance Criteria), if only barely, but this was not one of them.

I wonder if restaurant franchises (or franchisees) are taking a look at the Supercharger map and considering options surrounding Supercharger sites.
Planning your rollouts to be near Superchargers could be a great idea if you can keep up the quality, folks on a road trip appreciate a known quantity

Boy do they need expansion here…there are 6 x 150kw chargers here. Frequently full with cars waiting. Its difficult to skip, especially northbound (mostly uphill in that direction, the mountains). If they can’t add stalls, upgrading to 250 kw would help greatly since they don’t have to split power.

Reactions: swengl
Just dig out your ChadeMo and head across town to get ready to listen
to the jealous rants of the the legacy EV untouchables at:
Haha no adapter here and don’t really want to charge that slow. Maybe a ccs would be faster not sure. When Tesla opens up SC access to everyone then legacy owners will have the last laugh. Hopefully Tesla expands dramatically. Cool pics on that EA station did u see that Ford F-150 prototype???

P_20230617_234139.jpg

Soooo..... couple things. Fam here is parked *way* over the line so that you can't use the stall next to them. But it gets worse, it's 12am and not even plugged in. Which means they are taking up TWO charging spots all the way until morning/checkout time. I mean, I know this person drove a Dodge Ram in a previous life because that's the level of inconsideration we are seeing here.