Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure this is the right forum as posts seem old. Please let me know if a better place. First time posting.

Picked up an X75D from Auckland last week and drove it to Wellington. Stopped in Hamilton first, then easy run to Taupo and a dinner at the Chinese restaurant - We were the only two people there at 8pm on a Tuesday.

It was a long haul to Palmerston North from there. After about 45 minutes it was clear that it was going to be marginal and ended up having to turn of Climate and stay below 90ks to make Palmerston North with 8%. Called Steve and Dee from the Desert Road to see if we could sign up for ChargeNet but of course we didn't have an adapter so that would have been no good. (Adapter is $450from Tesla I just discovered).

A Supercharger in Taihape or Bulls would be ideal.

Arrived in Palmy around 10:30pm and found Kmart stays open until midnight so at least had something to do for 50 minutes.

Noted again the car only charged to 90% and worked out the next day I should have set Taupo stop to charge to 100% as we'd be driving immediately. No one told me that.

So far I've worked out you save no money on gas in a road trip and at each stop you end up spending $50 :)

Still no Superchargers in Wellington at all, but sound like coming this year. Any idea where?

Cheers

Rod
ChargeNet are a bit steep cost wise due to the 25c per minute time based fee. That will kill you with a large battery.

That said, they stuck their neck out and built most of the DCFC network in NZ so I try not to begrudge them.

Reactions: Miggy
ChargeNet are a bit steep cost wise due to the 25c per minute time based fee. That will kill you with a large battery.

It's not that bad. And still considerably less than a tank of petrol. You can go from 20% SoC to 90% on a 90D for around $20-$25, which is roughly the same as spending $100 on petrol. Certainly not going to 'kill' you.
Also, ChargeNet's destination chargers (e.g. at Auckland city carparks) are free at present. But you still need a ChargeNet account and fob to use them.

Christchurch now live!

upload_2018-12-21_12-56-40.png

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Strangely enough the info for the Auckland location has changed on the Tesla site. The follow data is Tesla vs. what supercharge.info has:

upload_2019-5-13_11-6-5.png

The 5th column is the name used by Tesla in the URL for the page. It doesn't actually affect anything but the fact that they changed it recently is interesting. It might mean another Auckland site is in progress.

The last column shows that the dot has moved. Probably a mistake?

upload_2019-5-13_11-9-36.png

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
@Chuq @meloccom @rohan3au do you think this could this mean something?

Oooh, interesting! Where does this info come from? Is it actually under construction? Do we have any spies in the area?

Timaru/Washdyke is not an ideal location for those travelling Queenstown->Christchurch, being about an 18 minute detour according to Google Maps. It's perfect for those on SH1 however! Washdyke is an industrial area so there will be plenty of power available. It wouldn't surprise me if they couldn't find a suitable site in Geraldine.

Has anyone noticed that Tesla's online trip planner ("Explore a route") does not work properly in the South Island? It seems to not be able to use the Christchurch Supercharger when planning routes, meaning that lots of journeys that should be possible by going via Christchurch aren't shown.

Hadn't noticed that, but the thin-ness of the supercharger network means that I use abetterrouteplanner.com for virtually everything instead.

I would give it a go at only 310km's there about, but if you stop for a coffee do top up, Bombay is also a good stop as they have 300kW fast chargers at 60c per kW and just off the MW. you will need a ChargeNet fob or app.
Pokeno has a 50kW free charger but you will need an OpenLoop fob or app.

Last edited: