Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a couple of comments in relation to recent posts on this thread. Firstly, it has been quite some time since Tesla has updated "Coming Soon" sites on their Find Us map (since April 2023?). I'm starting to wonder if Tesla has decided not to show future sites in their system. Secondly, the absence of sites on the Tesla map or supercharge.info doesn't mean that a site is not under construction but has gone unnoticed by people that post on supercharge.info. A significant portion of the under-construction and open entries on supercharge.info never appeared on Tesla website (until they open).
aherm, back to location speculation?

Looks like the map has been been updated, smaller font in the pop up boxes. Quarters have been removed from all current upcoming sites and no new ones added to my eye. Wonder if this is another incidental step in the update process.

aherm, back to location speculation?

Looks like the map has been been updated, smaller font in the pop up boxes. Quarters have been removed from all current upcoming sites and no new ones added to my eye. Wonder if this is another incidental step in the update process.
Curiously, a few sites still have the quarter still showing (Redmond OR and Vancouver WA as examples).

The locations shown on the SC Voting site may give some indication of sites that Tesla is considering.

On the Supercharger Voting page:

the gray icon is for "Coming soon Supercharger locations" (click the Legend button in the lower-left corner). Note that this is different than the regular Supercharger map -- on that map the gray icon is for Destination Charging.

With the federal funding stipulating being 1-mile from an Interstate, I would guess that most of the growth would be near an Interstate for the next couple of years.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

One would think that Tesla and Starbucks would join forces to install SC along the freeway with a Starbucks next to it. Match made in heaven.
Starbucks has a deal with ChargePoint.

On the Supercharger Voting page:

the gray icon is for "Coming soon Supercharger locations" (click the Legend button in the lower-left corner). Note that this is different than the regular Supercharger map -- on that map the gray icon is for Destination Charging.

With the federal funding stipulating being 1-mile from an Interstate, I would guess that most of the growth would be near an Interstate for the next couple of years.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
Federal funding requires DCFC to have 150kw charge posts with sharing only allowed over 150kw. 4 chargers minimum but can be mix of L3 and L2. You can have 350kw split between 2 posts as long as the available per post doesn’t drop below 150kw. That is available, not used. So even at the tail end of the charge curve using 20kw, the other 130kw still isn’t available to the other vehicle In this example, the max per vehicle would be 200kw.

Clarkston has a site along the river that is NEVI funded. 2x 180kw DCFC, 2x 8kw L2, 4x e-bike chargers. Although during a recent trip, the charger asked a second car if it was ok to turn my power off if they wanted to charge. I was around 90% so it wasn’t a big deal but there should have been no issues with enough power if they were both 180kw non shared.

One would think that Tesla and Starbucks would join forces to install SC along the freeway with a Starbucks next to it. Match made in heaven.
Most Freeway Starbucks are focused on drive through patrons, not those coming and ordering, sitting, waiting, etc. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen, just that it’s not how Starbucks has built out their footprint and customer service objective.

Reactions: PLUS EV
Most Freeway Starbucks are focused on drive through patrons, not those coming and ordering, sitting, waiting, etc. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen, just that it’s not how Starbucks has built out their footprint and customer service objective.
True.... but even a 5-10 charge while exchanging bucks at 'Bucks would be a convenience.

Reactions: tivoboy
Not mutually exclusive. Fast charging station of the future will be next to some convenience store if some kind
Well the 44 that just opened here and in the back of a Holiday Inn have with ZERO convenience next to them. A couple eateries that close at 9 on a Saturday, and 2 small gas stations that are 3 blocks away. It's a 3 football field walk (round trip) to get into the Hotel to even use the bathroom.

True.... but even a 5-10 charge while exchanging bucks at 'Bucks would be a convenience.
Certainly possible and would certainly make this nice, easier, convenient for PATRONS, but were I Starbucks, I might look at what MY corporate strategy is based on years of data, and decide whether participating in putting in ~ 250K worth of charging infrastructure might NOT be as appealing, as say looking at the current and COMING Supercharger locations (or also possibly EVGO larger footprint stations) and decide possibly whether or not to put in ANOTHER Starbucks at those locations. I’d also probably (actually, they most likely already have) look at the current SC/EVGO locations and see whether or not they already HAVE a Starbucks within about .4 miles (this is what most ppl can WALK in ~ 10 minutes each way) and possibly move something closer, or create some alternative for delivery, lots of options.

There MIGHT be some locations, where there is a lot of additional retail infrastructure, food, convenience, retail where putting in something sort of right near the Starbucks could add value, but frankly I would think that whatever the local group is that has the business zoning in that type of area has already tried to make that calculus.

Reactions: SR-75
Relax. The general assumption is that most Californians are under the tyrannical rule of SDG&E, PG&E, and SCE. They forget about all of us enjoying sub-20 cent/kWh rates from SMUD, LADWP, TID, MID, SVP, Roseville, Redding, etc. For us fortunate few with low and stable rates from public power, the long term economics of solar are certainly questionable.
Supposedly REU (Redding Electric Utility) rates are cheap, but both Superchargers in Redding cost .48 cents a kilowatt! Why? I'd love to know that answer. I'm cheaper at my house in the area (PGE) in the night-time hours. .27cents per kilowatt

Reactions: Videomatic3
Supposedly REU (Redding Electric Utility) rates are cheap, but both Superchargers in Redding cost .48 cents a kilowatt! Why? I'd love to know that answer. I'm cheaper at my house in the area (PGE) in the night-time hours. .27cents per kilowatt
FWIW, the location of the supercharger sometimes translates to pricing according to local rates but not always. There are likely other factors. I've seen them price superchargers to drive demand to a particular location or to reduce demand at a particular location. There may also be some kind of cost sharing with the property owner in hopes of increased traffic to the location and sometimes there isn't. This price here at Redding is probably way marked up but I've also seen supercharger prices that are much less than the going residential rate even during off peak hours. Finally, the prices can be pretty high at superchargers in states with lower cost of electricity than California including Florida, Texas, and Nevada. The prices at some supercharger locations there can be just as high as California but the electric rates in those places are a bit lower than California.

Here, sometimes you'd get an idle fee if you waited in line.

I've just realized that wireless DCFC would have major application in this country.

Reactions: tivoboy
Residential rates are usually different from commercial rates. Commercial rates factor in not only time of use, but also how fast the power is demanded. I assume Tesla takes these factors, and more, in coming up with their blended rate.

Last edited: