Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The down side of owning a plane, you get to your destination and you are stuck at the airport. Almost the only reason to fly was to eat at the various airport cafes. Friends would get sick of driving out to the airport to get me
We used it for business travel and some times for personal travel. We had people working in smaller towns, and you could get to several of those in a day versus several days by flying commercially.

It would be nice if they just figured out which side the cord goes on, seems they have no standard between the post being in the 'back and to the left'* with the cord hanging on the left side of the post or with the cord hanging on the right side of the post, OR having it beside the car again with the cord hanging from the back of the post or hanging from the front of the post.

All of these options lead to different distances to the port in the car where it plugs in. If all of them are in reach of a Tesla it makes no nevermind to Tesla owners, but it could make a big difference to an F150 owner who might prefer that last one.

*JFK joke

It would be nice if they just figured out which side the cord goes on, seems they have no standard between the post being in the 'back and to the left'* with the cord hanging on the left side of the post or with the cord hanging on the right side of the post, OR having it beside the car again with the cord hanging from the back of the post or hanging from the front of the post.

All of these options lead to different distances to the port in the car where it plugs in. If all of them are in reach of a Tesla it makes no nevermind to Tesla owners, but it could make a big difference to an F150 owner who might prefer that last one.

*JFK joke

From a simple human factors point of view, it seems to me the best place for a charge port is exactly where Tesla has it. That is, the drivers side rear.

Assuming the driver of the car is generally the one who plugs in the charging cable: You open your door, rotate 90 degrees to get out. Which corner of the car is easiest to then access? Drivers front requires moving around the door, or worse yet, closing it, then reopening it. Passenger side requires running around the car. Drivers side rear simply requires moving to the rear of the car.

Even ICE cars have this problem. I own four ICE cars - two fill on the left, and two, annoyingly, fill on the right. You'd think after 120+ years of ICE cars, they'd have figured it out by now...

From a simple human factors point of view, it seems to me the best place for a charge port is exactly where Tesla has it. That is, the drivers side rear.

Assuming the driver of the car is generally the one who plugs in the charging cable: You open your door, rotate 90 degrees to get out. Which corner of the car is easiest to then access? Drivers front requires moving around the door, or worse yet, closing it, then reopening it. Passenger side requires running around the car. Drivers side rear simply requires moving to the rear of the car.

Even ICE cars have this problem. I own four ICE cars - two fill on the left, and two, annoyingly, fill on the right. You'd think after 120+ years of ICE cars, they'd have figured it out by now...
Are the cars that fill on the right european? When they swap right hand drive for left they don’t switch anything else so that is probably why you get filling on both sides.

One is GM (Chevy Volt) and the other is European (Porsche 944). The two that fill on the left are both GM (Chevy and Buick).
A lot of German cars fill on the right. It does make sense from an infrastructure point of view that you use less space if your pumps are against a wall and you pull up to them from the left side on a traffic on the right roadway. Buildings can be closer to the road when land is at a premium.

Shoulda just placed 'em all behind rear license plate

(Can't believe I posted in a thread over 1000.)
Yup, and that's where the gas cap was on my first car (1969 model year), center rear, right above the license plate.

I liked how Costco solves the ICE gas station pump issue though - their pump hoses hang partially from above, and are so darn long you can reach either side of a vehicle regardless of which side of the pump you lined up on...

The Q2 Tesla supercharger voting is now open:

There aren't very many choices this quarter. There is a pin in a great spot just before the climb over the Altamont Pass on the interstate:

1680719258608.png

Scott

--

2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range, red/white, tow

One of my neighbors would like one in Sonora. There are some L2 charging stations at the hospital, but that is about it. Copperopolis and Groveland are not convenient (20-something driving miles each way). So if anyone can add that as a suggestion for the next voting cycle, it would make her happy. :D