Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a photo from today. There was no activity at the site, but everything appears to be in place except for the utility transformer. I think that will be off to the right of the photo because there are a series of metal plates covering a trench that ends at Kenilworth Drive.

petaluma_sc.jpg

Anybody care to speculate as to when Petaluma is likely to be operational? How long does it usually take from this point? I'm planning to be in the area from mid-December until just after Christmas.
According to Tesla it is supposed to be on line by the end of the year, given the problems encountered at other SC locations it is anybody's guess. If the paperwork is done and authorized I would think sometime in late December.

Usually at this point they are just waiting for PG+E to install the transformers. My experience with PG+E is all over the place.

When they were to come out and OK my solar install, they took several weeks and were late even then. They checked something later and left it turned off. Took me 3+ days to figure out it was off.

When I called and said I was having UPSs all over the house going crazy because power was fluctuating, they showed up in a couple hours and fixed the loose/bad connection on the pole that evening!

So ymmv...

@ecarfan
That photo doesn't look like the outlet mall. Where is it in Petaluma?
I was in Healdsburg a couple of weeks ago. Chargepoint stations are all over the place. Not as fast, but convenient.
It is called the Washington Place Shopping Center and it is right off 101 and Washington street. There is a Dicks sporting goods a Target, Homegoods and several resturants including Panera bread.

I stopped by the Petaluma SC this foggy morning. Didn't look like much progress since Monday, but here are some pictures anyway:

View attachment 64736

View attachment 64737

Definitely looks like 4 pull in spots behind 4 back-in spots.

Looks like Petaluma could also be 8 pull-in spots, 4 from each side.

What I find curious is that there appear to be 5 Supercharger Cabinets in the Equipment Enclosure, 4 together and 1 beside the Distribution Center for 8 Charging Stalls. With 5 Supercharger Cabinets, there would usually be 10 Charging Stalls.

Looks like Petaluma could also be 8 pull-in spots, 4 from each side.

Hmm I doubt that. The cars will definitely have to face in the same direction, otherwise the charge cable wouldn't reach the charge port on have the cars that faced the wrong way.

What I find curious is that there appear to be 5 Supercharger Cabinets in the Equipment Enclosure, 4 together and 1 beside the Distribution Center for 8 Charging Stalls. With 5 Supercharger Cabinets, there would usually be 10 Charging Stalls.

Maybe there's a backup cabinet in case one fails? There are definitely only 8 charging "monoliths" (for now at least).

Last edited:
New photo showing little progress. Still no transformer or pavement, but now there are 9 spots, which explains the fifth cabinet. The whole worksite is terribly muddy, so it may be some time drying out before any further progress.

image.jpg

bad water, go away. I would think it should all fall off the dirt being upside down and all:wink:
I'm really hoping that will be up for X-mas. 3 hour trip difference at least! LAH to Eureka
planning on hwy 36 down so I can use Corning + stop in Folsom

that may be a while before they can pave it. looks like it will be wet/ rainy through next weekend and that is mucky looking dirt and not very good base material (maybe explains the little sinking area at G.Pass / bad trench compaction under the HMA) If it doesn't dry enough to get packed very well before paving it will be a mess in a few months

New photo showing little progress. Still no transformer or pavement, but now there are 9 spots, which explains the fifth cabinet. The whole worksite is terribly muddy, so it may be some time drying out before any further progress.

View attachment 65158Thanks for the update, did not go by because of the weather and I figured not much could be done in the rain. Does not look good for the next 5 to 7 days.