Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Northern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Napa use permit was approved 12/30. I drove by there yesterday. The foundation for a large building is in place, but no sign of supercharger construction yet. My guess is this charger is a few months away, at least.

Went by Petaluma SCs. Short visit with the crew (Saturday, only two) verified the donuts. It doesn't look like a lot of work left there. They were doing a large trench, looks like power conduit down there. I suspect backfill, asphalt, don't know who pulls the cable. Not long.

Mentioned Napa. Yes, they were told two days ago that Napa is next. What do you think the lead time might be when you tell your workers what their next job site will be? Couple weeks? It certainly does not look like end of year. We already know about where the Napa site is.

Here's a pic of how to block two of the ten SCs in Petaluma. What a beautiful day in January!

Petaluma SC.jpg

NorCal Supercharger locations?

I have never seen this type of Supercharger layout: if you come in from one side (the near side of my photo above) you have to back into a stall so your charge port is correctly positioned near the charger. If you come in from the other side (the far side of my photo) you just drive heading into the stall.

So you have a choice of how you approach a charger; back in or head in. But why not make the all head in? It's so much easier than backing in.

I guess Tesla is still experimenting with different layouts for Superchargers.

Well there aren't any barriers between the spots. So maybe they're thinking people will just pull all the way forward into the next space. If you look at it that way then they're all head in. Problem is if people don't pull forward and all 5 of those stalls are taken then you don't have a choice.

The idea that the layout is designed assuming everyone will pull in seems improbable. Just one car being present in the left side column means that the corresponding space in the right column will have to be backed into to use.

Agreed, but I don't see that as a problem. Seems pretty obvious, and it would help if Tesla painted arrows or some indication on each spot as to how each SC stall should be used.