Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers super-slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's unfortunate that the last few occurrences I've had people in my car who never been in a Tesla before. After they experienced this charging mess, both individuals stopped raving about the car during the ride back. Can't say I blame them, I hyped up the quick charging experience and it was far from what was expected.

Very unfortunate and if those people were on the fence about EVs they have been soiled and probably won't buy one now. A shame really and should be a huge priority for Tesla to fix. Very disheartening.

Cool weather for my 2x Supercharger road trip today. That should take the overheated wiring concern off the table. I have the time to switch between stalls like a fool to determine if that is related to any slow rates. If it is throttling, I would think that wouldn't help.

I have about 15 SC sessions total, but have 35k miles in 14 months (60->75 Rwd S)...and frequently cycle the battery 70-80% of capacity in my commute. If Tesla is indeed preventing advertised SC usage to save themselves warranty cost on my battery, I won't hesitate to join you guys in a class action or take the small claims tactic used effectively by the Ludicrous victims.

I'll report back this evening...

• Funny
Reactions: hpartsch
Well, it was slightly less than I have experienced at the same SC this time last year, but I'm not sure I see any issue. I'll let the experts here judge:
Initial rate at plug in: 90kw, 49% soc
2 min later: 83kw, 53% soc
2 min later: 80kw, 55% soc
2 min later: 76kw, 58% soc
2 min later: 73kw, 61% soc
6 min later: 56kw, 72% soc
2 min later: 49kw, 75% soc
4 min later: 41kw, 80% soc
6 min later: 32kw, 85% soc

At that point, the family is ready so we disconnected and proceeded to destination.

Well, it was slightly less than I have experienced at the same SC this time last year, but I'm not sure I see any issue. I'll let the experts here judge:

At that point, the family is ready so we disconnected and proceeded to destination.
What was the starting SOC?
Which battery?
85% at 32kw doesn't seem that bad to me, however I generally use remaining miles because when I'm at an SC it's always on a trip, and I charge till I have a bit more than I need to get to the next charging location (SC or Destination) using the trip graph as the guide. Typically that's 10-15 minutes for a 100 mile distance or 20-25 minutes for a 150 mile distance. (85S)

What was the starting SOC?
Which battery?
85% at 32kw doesn't seem that bad to me, however I generally use remaining miles because when I'm at an SC it's always on a trip, and I charge till I have a bit more than I need to get to the next charging location (SC or Destination) using the trip graph as the guide. Typically that's 10-15 minutes for a 100 mile distance or 20-25 minutes for a 150 mile distance. (85S)

Sorry, it was in the post above but it is the 75 (rwd built July 2016)

The first point at 49% soc was the starting point

Sorry, it was in the post above but it is the 75 (rwd built July 2016)

The first point at 49% soc was the starting point
Theoretically, a 75 should charge slightly slower than an 85 which will charge at a slower rate than a 90 or 100. Starting at 49% means that you're not going to see the really high rates of charging because the algorithm is geared for maximum battery life.

I don't qualify myself as an "expert"; however, I'd be happy with what you got.

• Informative
Reactions: u00mem9
I know this is mainly a thing in the US, but just wanted to report.

I am in Rome now with my 2013 85kWh and I've been SuperCharging all the way this 1.700km roadtrip with temps above 30C.

I had no issues at all with restrictions, got over 110kW on all locations in Germany, Switzerland and Italy.

Macon, GA this weekend. Wasn't paired with anyone and had a warm pack

Attachments

• IMG_20171022_161858.jpg
    IMG_20171022_161858.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Informative
Reactions: gowthamn
Cordes Junction Charging 12.JPG
The last couple times we charged at Cordes Junction, AZ, we've seen similar behavior. We get there with a SOC of around 20% and the car starts charging at 100+kw and then slows down within minutes to 50 or 60. The pack is warm enough from driving at 75mph+ for at least an hour to get there. I was the only one there the last time. On a previous trip I ran into a Model S owner who charges there more often and he had the same issue.
Charging in Flagstaff was no issue. Slow taper from 100+ to 90 and 80. This one was recently expanded from 4 to 12 stalls and we used one of the new ones).

Edit: Graph from TeslaFi added. Also, I realize this was posted to the Model S thread even though we are using a Model X but I figured the issue is the same.

Last edited: