Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging by Locals/Overcrowded Superchargers in So Cal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@bkp_duke
Y'know you are at the heart of the problem. It is owners that leave their Teslas at SCs and walk away for an undetermined time. Not returning to move their cars when the charging rate has been achieved. That is a huge issue.

Please you guys, get over all the attacking and crap conversations. You sound like a bunch of politicians. I am sick of that, not caring what side anyone is on.

The reality is how can we as owners bring more efficiency to the Superchargers. The Tesla concierges do yeoman work managing the cue and educating the owners at SCs where they are assigned. Where that isn't that resource you and I as owners need to take on that communication. Start with educating owners about the pairing up of charging stalls. I bet you will find more than half of the owners don't even know about that. Just saw an example yesterday and yet again on Sunday.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Evidently a number of us have received PMs forbidding any further replies/participation in this thread. And that would be censorship rather than moderation. Look it up.

Hopefully, regardless of your position wrt the OP, the notion of owner education to reduce ICEing by our own, along with unnecessary pairing, will resonate with some. It only takes a minute or two to introduce yourself and to share some knowledge.

And with that...

Be good. (Bill Murray voice from the end of Wild Things)

Evidently a number of us have received PMs forbidding any further replies/participation in this thread. And that would be censorship rather than moderation. Look it up.

Okay, I did:

cen·sor·ship
ˈsensərˌSHip/Submit
noun
the practice of officially examining books, movies, etc., and suppressing unacceptable parts.

mod·er·a·tion
ˌmädəˈrāSH(ə)n/
noun
the avoidance of excess or extremes, especially in one's behavior or political opinions.
"he urged the police to show moderation"
synonyms: self-restraint, restraint, self-control, self-command, self-discipline; More

There's no doubt: It's moderation and not censorship. But even if it was censorship, it's a private forum -- not a government one -- so no freedom of speech applies. Look it up. It's a privilege to be here -- not a right.

Thanks Moderators, for moderating this thread, which certainly showed a need for moderation. I really appreciate all you do, as a mostly thankless volunteer job, as I am sure many others here do.

Seems to me that Tesla could easily fix this problem with not allowing locals to charge at supercharger station within X amount of miles from there residence. We all know the have the technology to do so.

Obviously there are sometimes unforeseen circumstances and if this arises a call to Tesla would allow tesla to unlock your vehicle to charge locally that one time. This would prevent those traveling Tesla owners who have legitimate reason to charge to not have to wait on locals.

Reactions: nwdiver
Obviously there are sometimes unforeseen circumstances and if this arises a call to Tesla would allow tesla to unlock your vehicle to charge locally that one time.

Or they could let people pay for local supercharging. Wouldn't it be interesting if Tesla came out and said superchargers within x miles from where you live are excluded from free supercharging but you can still use them on PAYG? It wouldn't surprise me if they do this because there was too much emphasis on "long-distance travel" in the blog post. The blog post mentions long distance 3 times. That could be setting the stage for upcoming changes.

Last edited:
Or they could let people pay for local supercharging. Wouldn't it be interesting if Tesla came out and said superchargers within x miles from where you live are excluded from free supercharging but you can still use them on PAYG? It wouldn't surprise me if they do this because there was too much emphasis on "long-distance travel" in the blog post. The blog post mentions long distance 3 times. That could be setting the stage for upcoming changes.

I think that would be Tesla's best course of action. Tesla has to be able to provide uncrowned supercharger stations if they want to become a big player in auto industry.

Reactions: Troy