Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging compromising Service/How about level 2 vs level 1? And how much should I limit SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I owned a new Model 3 since December ‘18, and traded that in for a Y a couple of weeks ago.
I exclusively supercharged my first 6-7 months with the 3 because I street parked and had no way to run an extension.

I apologize for the TLDR. I’m asking for someone to simplify this scenario and too long of a post.

Picking my new Y up at the service center, I overheard a Model S 85 owner having a civil...but firm....debate....? with a technician about his replaced battery not performing as well as the one they said had issues. Said he lost about 35 miles of range that are important on his commute.

I was trying not to overhear, but it brought up several issues. We are all learning about these batteries and the science and data behind them. (We didn’t grow up with them like ICE, and they keep improving) I’m not interested in a “screw Tesla!” thread, I just want to learn how to take care of my new battery so I don’t run into these issues later.

The technician stated many times when a battery fails and it’s covered under warranty, they don’t replace it with a brand new battery. They attempt to match the battery degradation levels to where the car was when it failed. (I don’t know how) He also said that they ran a report and found out that he Supercharged 60% of the time and that he should expect a degraded battery. It was said like an accusation.
ive seen the YouTube clips of the car service between SoCal and Vegas that supercharged every day and got hundreds of thousands of miles out of them.
So help me separate fact from fiction. I have a 230 mile round trip commute once or twice a week that has me supercharging a bit since I keep Sentry mode on for a couple days at the airport.
I also have my first home where I can charge in a garage and am pricing out a 14-50 or wall charger.

how much should I limit supercharging?
When I supercharge and I get smaller than expected charge rates (and I can’t explain it like when at a full station)- Is that always just a fault at that plug? or Does the car’s computer still limit Super charging to maintain the long term health of the battery? https://electrek.co/2017/05/07/tesla-limits-supercharging-speed-number-charges/
If the computer does limit supercharging to maintain long term battery health? How much and why would a technician run a report about how much an owner is supercharging?
Is there anyway to predict when it’s doing that vs battery charge and temp and line issues at the station? The only time I’m ever frustrated with supercharging is when I think I’m going to get 450mi/hr, in a hurry and end up with 100 mi/hr. If it’s intentional I’d like to know it’s going to happen so I can plan for it. If not in the car itself, how about the energy usage apps? To at least be informed when I am supercharging too much.
One of the largest benefits of Tesla is the supercharging network. I’m far from a “screw Tesla!!” guy, but it is weird to promote the network, knowing that the SC network is so important to reduce range anxiety and overall consumer confidence in EVs, and then have technicians out there that blame someone for using it...that’s a logical critique, right? I know my sales rep knew I had no place to charge my 3 at home and sold me on it with supercharging.
at home: how much does that same logic apply with level 1 vs level 2? Pandemic me has been getting away with level 1. When it comes to efficiency and battery health, I assume both are pretty negligible compared with SC. Is that right? Is level 1 or 2 at home just about the charge rate, or is one clearly better (for efficiency or battery health) if that’s not an issue?

I did several searches. I know this subject has been covered in droves, but I went down a few rabbit holes that didn’t quite address the topic. Apology for a repetitive thread. I’m sure the info and discussion I’m looking for is in these forums.

The reason that you can't find clear information on how much is safe to supercharge is that there is very little information available. We know that supercharging is worse for the battery than L2, but all the information about how much is anecdotal. After 10 years, Tesla will probably have this information in their computer systems.

You should be using L2 where it is available/useful and installing L2 charging in the home. You should supercharge whenever you need to to reach your destination because otherwise your car would be useless. It is sort of like being afraid to put miles on a gas car - sure, your car looses value, but you are then getting less out of the car.

L2 vs L1 are the same thing as far as the battery is concerned, but having L2 will probably decrease your supercharger use.

Reactions: CyberGus
I overheard a Model S 85 owner having a civil...but firm....debate
You are projecting a bunch of issues from a very old Model S 85 onto your new 2020 Model Y. Most of it is not applicable because the battery technology is way different.
how much should I limit supercharging?
Not much need on a new Model Y. They handle the higher power better now.
Is there anyway to predict when it’s doing that vs battery charge and temp and line issues at the station?
No, there aren't specific messages about this kind of why with why charging rate is slower. It could be any of a few different reasons, but the car will not announce which reason.
To at least be informed when I am supercharging too much.
One of the largest benefits of Tesla is the supercharging network. I’m far from a “screw Tesla!!” guy, but it is weird to promote the network, knowing that the SC network is so important to reduce range anxiety and overall consumer confidence in EVs, and then have technicians out there that blame someone for using it...that’s a logical critique, right?
Don't worry about that. That is an issue from the older 85 and 90 batteries, and I have never heard of this being any issue on any of the Model 3 or Y.
at home: how much does that same logic apply with level 1 vs level 2?
Nothing at all. That's dinking around with the difference between stuff like 1 to 7 kW power levels, when the car's battery can take over 100+. The car absolutely won't care a bit about the power levels of any kind of home charging, because it's all extremely slow from the car's perspective.

Reactions: rxlawdude
That’s great info- thank you

You are projecting a bunch of issues from a very old Model S 85 onto your new 2020 Model Y. Most of it is not applicable because the battery technology is way different.

Not much need on a new Model Y. They handle the higher power better now.

No, there aren't specific messages about this kind of why with why charging rate is slower. It could be any of a few different reasons, but the car will not announce which reason.

Don't worry about that. That is an issue from the older 85 and 90 batteries, and I have never heard of this being any issue on any of the Model 3 or Y.

Nothing at all. That's dinking around with the difference between stuff like 1 to 7 kW power levels, when the car's battery can take over 100+. The car absolutely won't care a bit about the power levels of any kind of home charging, because it's all extremely slow from the car's perspective.

The car protects itself. Don't worry about supercharging too often. Just don't regularly take the battery state-of-charge over 90% or less than 15% and you'll be good. If you need that upper 10%, by all means use it, but don't charge up to 100% until right before you start driving. Same goes for the bottom 15%; don't let the car sit at a low state-of-charge. Your charge rate will max out between roughly 20-50% and will then taper down to a trickle charge when nearing 100% charge. If it's super hot outside, like here in Arizona, your rate will taper off after a few seconds, leaving you charging at about 2/3rds of a "normal" charge rate. This is just the car protecting the battery and is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: slmitchell737