Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging now costs more than gas (one owner's experience)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can concede that point even emphasize it however that still doesn’t downplay the fact that Tesla has grossly increased the cost of superchargers
Sure.

This also means that the claim that there is all these fuel savings is really not true anymore and shouldn’t be marketed that way.
No, except perhaps for the Tesla owners that only DCFC at Superchargers. Soon enough, car owners will also be able to DC charge at CCS locations. So even those owners without home or work charging will likely have options to overall pay refueling costs at rates considerably below ICE, just perhaps not all the time.

Lastly, if you think petrol prices are not going up, I have a bridge to sell at a great price.

• Funny
Reactions: KJD and ElectricIAC
OP: Can you refill GAS from your Roof on your Prius ?

81030d1271512879-new-roof-rack-gas-can-holder-completed-img_0045.jpg

Checkmate.

I guess a bit off topic but no better place to post than here as a soon to be new MYP owner, first time EV owner and a once for about 6 months Prius owner.

Gas here where we live is $2.93/gal. My wife drives (this will be her car) a Jeep GC that gets about 16 MPG. I/We don't give a crap about the savings of fuel as our test drive last night for the first time was RIDICULOUS. Any one else here buy a Tesla for the enjoyment and tech rather than the gas savings and saving the planet?

I also am lost in all the (cost per mile) threads as it can get nauseating and quite confusing. It appears that it is a bit magical to calculate all this because each person seems to have their own spin on this.

I guess a bit off topic but no better place to post than here as a soon to be new MYP owner, first time EV owner and a once for about 6 months Prius owner.

Gas here where we live is $2.93/gal. My wife drives (this will be her car) a Jeep GC that gets about 16 MPG. I/We don't give a crap about the savings of fuel as our test drive last night for the first time was RIDICULOUS. Any one else here buy a Tesla for the enjoyment and tech rather than the gas savings and saving the planet?

I also am lost in all the (cost per mile) threads as it can get nauseating and quite confusing. It appears that it is a bit magical to calculate all this because each person seems to have their own spin on this.

The OP was presenting a strawman argument; no one ever promised that the fluctuating costs of energy would always favor EVs.

Most EV charging is done at home, off-peak. Supercharging cost is the worst-case scenario.

But yeah, I would happily pay twice the price for fuel for the joy of driving a Tesla.

Any one else here buy a Tesla for the enjoyment and tech rather than the gas savings and saving the planet?
No doubt.

I also am lost in all the (cost per mile) threads
Then it is convenient that you do not care.

My casual observation is that the people who are the loudest and proudest about being self-centered, are the ones who most struggle with arithmetic. It's curious.

> Notice: OP joined 5 days ago!

Yep. Just got my car two months ago! New Tesla owner here!

I drove from Des Moines to Denver yesterday. Gas was about $3/gallon in Iowa and Nebraska:

View attachment 738597

Here is my charging invoice:

View attachment 738600

Total of $49.82.

It's a big part of Telsa's marketing scheme is that you save money on gas. They even include it in their trip calculator "estimated gas savings." But it seems like it's actually more expensive to charge on Supercharger than gas.

Tesla really needs to drop Supercharger prices.

Its pretty easy to see where you are getting that thought, though. Look at the stops at gothenburg and lincoln. 13 minutes of "penalty" rates there for more than $9 at gothenburg, and 12 minutes at lincoln at penalty rates for 8.28. thats almost $18 of your $49 at penalty rates (either charges because you were charging too high a percentage at a congested supercharger, or because you let the car sit after finishing charging).

34% (just over 1/3rd) of your charging was done at penalty supercharger rates. If you did this same trip NOT during thanksgiving, you probably would have spent less money.

I did an 1,100 mile trip over Thanksgiving and paid $90 in supercharging fees. Some of the states were flat rate, some were tiered plans, but on average I paid about 30 cents per kWh.

Had I taken my other car, a Hyundai Sonata (25 city/32 hwy), I estimate I would have paid about $125 for gas round trip (gas prices along this route were has high as $3.35 and as low as $2.85).

So I paid $35 less for this trip, but I also spent 3+ cumulative hours supercharging, listening to my kids say "this sucks" and "how much longer are we going to have to sit here," and can you really put a price on that?
Funny, my kids actually look forward to stops and watching Disney+ while charging.

I wanted a Tesla for two reasons: Self-driving and fuel economy. The self-driving has been really hit or miss. Sometimes I think it's useful and sometimes I think it's dangerous. Interstate lane keeping, adaptive cruise control, and automated passing and great. But at least three times in my drive yesterday I experienced phantom braking--one time the car lost 30 mph and displayed a forward collision warning even though there was nothing on the road in a bright, sunny day. The other two phantom brakes were less severe, but still concerning and probably not great on the car to slam on the brakes.

The fuel economy has been mostly miss. Been keeping a record of my drive times, fuel economy, etc. Seems like it would be much cheaper to drive a gas car.

The 2021 Prius L Eco is supposed to get 55 MPG with a 600 mile range and 45 MPG seems standard real-world results from actual fleet data:

Then I suppose, with your two objectives you should sell your model 3 and get a prius. That isnt ment to be funny, now is the time. Many people selling their model 3s are getting close to, or more than what they paid for them, even after owning them for a year or more.

I dont consider a "2021 Prius eco L" to be anywhere in the same class as this car. I would never own one myself, but many do. If thats the right car for you, then thats what you should get. You didnt mention driving experience anywhere, and no one interested in driving experience would say a prius has the same or even close driving experience as a model 3, no matter which one you have.

I have said this before, but every car is not for every person, and thats fine, its why we have choice. The time to get out is now, when the car values are great and you can get out without losing much (if any) money.

• Disagree
34% (just over 1/3rd) of your charging was done at penalty supercharger rates. If you did this same trip NOT during thanksgiving, you probably would have spent less money.
Those aren't penalty rates. Those are the rates for charging by the minute in the top tier. (Tier are based on the kW charge rate, so as your charging tapers your cost per minute drops.)

Those aren't penalty rates. Those are the rates for charging by the minute in the top tier. (Tier are based on the kW charge rate, so as your charging tapers your cost per minute drops.)
ahh... ok... we dont have any "by the minute" chargers out here in CA that I am aware of. I havent ever been to one like that. Appreciate the correction (sincerely appreciate the correction).

ahh... ok... we dont have any "by the minute" chargers out here in CA that I am aware of. I havent ever been to one like that. Appreciate the correction (sincerely appreciate the correction).
Yeah it depends on if Tesla is allowed to charge by the kWh in a given state. This post has some good information on the tiers and pricing after the most recent change:

There also was just a significant change to billing in the states where Tesla has to charge by the minute, not the kWh. The old two Tier System has been replaced now with a 4 tier system. From a quick comparison of one or two sites I'm familiar with it also sees as a part of this the overall cost went up significantly.

Here's break-down of the new 4-tier set-up.

When billing per minute, there are four tiers to account for changes in charging speeds: ‘Tier 1,’ ‘Tier 2,’ ‘Tier 3’ and ‘Tier 4.’

Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3Tier 4
Charging at or below 60 kWCharging above 60 kW, at or below 100 kWCharging above 100 kW, at or below 180 kWCharging above 180 kW
Lowest price per minuteSecond-lowest price per minuteSecond-highest price per minuteHighest price per minute

For reference, previous structure was Tier 1 below 60 kW, Tier 2 was above 60 kW. One site I'm aware of in the US:

TierOld cost structureNew cost structure
Tier 1, < 60 kW< 60 kW, $0.14 per min$0.12 for V2 station, $0.14/min for V3 station
Tier 2, was > 60 kW, now 60-100kW> 60 kW, $0.28 per min$0.31 for V2 station, $0.38/min for V3
Tier 3 now 100kW-180 kWN/A$0.58 for V2 station, $0.71/min for V3
Tier 4 now 180 - 250 kWN/AN/A for V2 station, $1.15/min for V3

I did about 8 years ago.. And I while I do save $ over gas and it doesn't hurt that the car is pretty green, it's more about the driving experience for me

> Notice: OP joined 5 days ago!

Yep. Just got my car two months ago! New Tesla owner here!

I drove from Des Moines to Denver yesterday. Gas was about $3/gallon in Iowa and Nebraska:

View attachment 738597

Here is my charging invoice:

View attachment 738600

Total of $49.82.

It's a big part of Telsa's marketing scheme is that you save money on gas. They even include it in their trip calculator "estimated gas savings." But it seems like it's actually more expensive to charge on Supercharger than gas.

Tesla really needs to drop Supercharger prices.

My previous ICE car was approx $0.22/mile (low mileage and premium gas)

Charging at home my S is approx $0.03/mile
Supercharging (assuming the previously mentioned $0.33/kwh average): $0.11/mile

Went on an 1800 mile trip. Charging from home prior and after. Using free hotel destination chargers where possible. Limiting the SuC stops. Total trip was $100 ($120 including the home gas). Would have been lucky to do it for $350 in my ICE.

Definitely a savings for me.

We make our own fuel for our all electric home and EVs. When we travel our 2012 Signature Red P85 Model S has free Supercharging for life. If we take our 2018 Model X instead we will pay for Supercharging. Having owned a Prius, I find comparing it to any Tesla laughable. It's not even comparing apples to oranges it's comparing very different driving experiences as if they are equivalent when they aren't.

Attachments

• 20181214_111443.jpg
    20181214_111443.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 112
I find comparing it to any Tesla laughable.

I've also owned both, and while I agree with you I can say that if my Prius was a BEV I would still be driving that car. Not because I thought it was a great driving experience like the Tesla but because I don't really care that much about the differences once the novelty wears off.

A BEV that can be charged from PV at home, now that is worth paying for.

Reactions: Jason Bloomberg
My highest ever charge cost was in Lakewood Colorado, and it was only $19.80 for about a 70% charge from 20 up to 90, or 55kwh for the Y,( think this was the numbers not sure)

Id expect 140+ miles from that at the absolute worst. At the prices gas was during the trip, that was $3.29. Had we used the Pathfinder, and got 19mpg (best) we're looking at nearly $25.

On that trip though, the OVERALL savings for 2100 miles in a week was at least $150 utilizing one destination charger for free.

Its not close. Our day to day operations of the car over 14k miles in 6 months is close to a grand saved vs burning dinosaurs.

Charge at home, supercharge on trips or destination chargers when you can.

• Funny