Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging option pricing/60 kWh pack fee discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fee was instated (announced at $1000 reduced fee for those 60kWh drivers already w MVPA signed, $2000 for all 60kWh drivers to follow) and retracted in about 48 hours...and there was much rejoicing. I was impressed by George's note both explaining the fee and, then, days later, explaining its complete retraction for those with MVPA signed by that time (fee stands at 2K for all who follow). Two points of possible interest:

1. I spoke w George B the night before the announcement and I believe he was uncomfortable talking with me about the pending announcement, as I was speaking with him then (among other topics) about the how the car was awesome but expensive and a reach for me and others, and that I was getting a 60kWh car to save $. I bet he felt the fee had not been well-communicated. I was aware a fee was coming but agree it was poorly communicated. Bet he felt good retracting the fee...

2. My how the times change - just came across this, from the Tesla site June, 2010: "With far fewer moving parts than an internal combustion engine, the motor, transaxle, inverter, and rear suspension system will be contained within one sub-assembly that can be bolted into the Model S in one step. The liquid-cooled battery pack, with quick release fluid connections will be installed in a matter of seconds. The battery pack provides the final structural element to the body. With this engineering feat, you'll be able to quickly swap an empty battery for a full one, should the need arise on long road trips."

That's clearly from before the supercharge option was really a serious consideration. Battery swapping seems almost silly in comparison...

Tesla Super Charging network.. now cost $$

So I was looking online at the cars and the 40KW is not even an option to buy now.... But with the 60KW battery car the super charging network is $2,000 add on... WTF I could have sworn a few months ago 60KW up included the supercharging network and were capable of using it.. Am I missing something or did I recall wrong?