Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rates go WAY up!

OK with increased supercharging rates?

• Yeah, gotta pay for the Supercharger infrastructure.

Votes: 275 67.2%
  • What happened to charging not being a profit center?

Votes: 93 22.7%
  • It will affect my future vehicle purchases.

Votes: 23 5.6%
  • Nope, no idea what the cost will eventually be.

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He was talking about AGW. Are you ?
Even before that. Clearly he spinbackwards talking about voluntary involvement. I have some sympathy for those with experiences under a true dictatorship, but having a takeaway of any rejecting "choosing co-operation towards a goal 'bigger than just you'" is at best just letting scar tissue get in the way of functioning in society.

I am mostly charging at home, but is not cheap anymore as well.
In 2006 in WI electricity cost .105/kWh, now it is .137/kWh. Almost .30% more
it is 60% more from 2003
Price of gasoline barely changed from 2006.....
Honestly, I expect that price of electricity will rise faster than price of gas.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
it is 60% more from 2003
Honestly, I expect that price of electricity will rise faster than price of gas.

OMG.....my $0.19/kWh-paying heart breaks for you..........

EDIT: maths are bad on one coffee. I'm paying ~ 19cents/kWh

Exactly my point.
Electricity is not cheap, electrical cars have no economical sense.
Statement - may be, fun to drive - sure, try something new - of course
You can sign up for Time of Use rates and pay 8.9 cents per kW instead of 13.7 cents.
Wisconsin Time-of-Use | We Energies

Also, 82% of buildings in Milwaukee are solar-viable. You could potentially install solar and generate all your own electricity.

Reactions: KJD
it is 60% more from 2003

So 2.2% average annual increases?

Gasoline hasn't changed much since 2006 because it basically doubled in the three years prior to that. Once all the places that have fracking start falling into sinkholes and experiencing 7.0 earthquakes, gasoline prices will shoot up again.

we pay 8cents/kwH in BC. Hydro. So 6 cents USD. The more I drive the more I save. If I put my car in a garage it would cost a lot in payments. Right now my X is ultimately free since I pay more in gas per month than my payments for the X are. And I charge either at the office or at Superchargers (closest is 2 hr drive away) for free. Once I stop putting on 50,000km/yr I'll probably have the X paid off. Doing below average mileage a year will make CNC1's point true.

Exactly my point.

Well, actually, no. My home rate is still .07/kWh cheaper than my area's SC rate...which doesn't matter, because I have unlimited free SC.

There are still plenty of people who are getting off cheaper in a per-mile basis driving electric.

Case in point: my last ICE, an Audi A3, had a $900 service scheduled for 36,000 miles. Stuff adds up over time. $900 is 3214 kWh using the new "national average" rate. That's almost 43 full charge cycles on a Model 3 with the big pack.....

Reactions: TT97
You can sign up for Time of Use rates and pay 8.9 cents per kW instead of 13.7 cents.
Wisconsin Time-of-Use | We Energies

I charge my Model 3 once in 3 every days in general, however, if i switch two tier rate system i will pay almost twice more during other parts of the day, every day. Not to use washing and during during weekends? I am not sure if it good idea, but I am considering to switch and see how it going to work.

Also, 82% of buildings in Milwaukee are solar-viable. You could potentially install solar and generate all your own electricity.

with pay-off period 30+ years. Sure, it smart economical design.
We had snow storm 2 days ago, one more is coming today. No, thank you.

Nah man, you got it wrong.

The more I hang out here, the more it's a bummer.

Arguing with some cat on the Internet is so nowhere.

It blows my mind that people don't see we're on a speeding train to a brick wall. The concept of investing for the greater good is so, not on the radar, for so many. We are so toast.

The zombie apocalypse has happened.

Peace and love,

I'm not arguing with you I'm simply pointing out the fact that not everyone buys a Tesla for the reasons you assert and implying why others make their purchasing decisions or why cost is not a valid factor isolates buyers. Market acceptance and adoption is not won by a single one-sided argument like saving the planet or agreeing with Musk's mission statement. I have been a proponent and subsidizer of solar and EV tech for more than 20 years. I have been driving and building EV's for more than 15 and as an advocate I never assume my reasons will be the same as others nor are their concerns invalid. That type of polarized advocacy is what prevents us from greater acceptance. Convincing others to invest in the greater good in not a singular sided argument and if someone want's to buy a Model S simply because it is fast then that's one more buyer that will have the opportunity to be exposed to other EV driving benefits. EV performance as one example has been a primary reason for Tesla success not just a mission statement that few owners have ever read and many buyers could care about. That brick wall will come much sooner unless change has appeal at many levels.

Peace man:)

So 2.2% average annual increases?

Gasoline has changed much since 2006 because it basically doubled in the three years prior to that.

And cost of gas basically stays the same since that, i do not see any reason why it will go up
Our Winter electric rate is $0.09417/kWh, with no tiers, no demand charges; just a simple flat rate.

Good for you.
Everybody has different circumstances I guess, but in general price id significantly higher than that.

I charge my Model 3 once in 3 every days in general, however, if i switch two tier rate system i will pay almost twice more during other parts of the day, every day. Not to use washing and during during weekends? I am not sure if it good idea, but I am considering to switch and see how it going to work.

You can use Powerwalls to even it out so that you always pay the low rate.
with pay-off period 30+ years. Sure, it smart economical design.
We had snow storm 2 days ago, one more is coming today. No, thank you.

There are tax credits that can bring the pay-off period way down. For our 16 kW system, it will take less than 8 years to pay for itself.

Reactions: KJD
There are tax credits that can bring the pay-off period way down. For our 16 kW system, it will take less than 8 years to pay for itself.

last time I checked with local installer it was 20+ to 30+ years.
You have to realize that not only climate affect pay-offs for solar but also local regulations.
For example, WI does not provide any additional incentive to buy electric cars, but contrary charges 100 bucks per year extra 9to cover road damage). Actually i think it is fair.

Exactly my point.

It depends on where you live though. I am in SoCal where it is sunny all the time. I have solar with NEM and it will take me about 4.5 years of breaking even with home electricity + gas price for our 2 cars. After 4.5 years, it is free juice for the 2 Tesla or any other EV + free home electricity. Even with free supercharging for life, we don't supercharge unless on a trip. Why waste time at SC when it is also free charging at home.

Although it is true the the 2 Telsa's cost more than most 2 luxury ICE cars. But I calculated that we saved over 140 visits to the gas stations per year between the 2 cars. That should count for something...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker