Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Rock and Hard Place

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Canada CCS and Chademo are pretty much equal.

It will be that way in the US too. There really aren't many Chademo stations here. Electrify America is building dual stations quickly this year. So most locations will be dual headed chargers.

This is a significant issue in my mind. We need to have one type of charger with one interface. This three choices thing is a load of crap like when every player company made their own format records (no, I'm not that old) or there were two video tape formats (yes, I am that old) or when they had two video disk formats... oh, wait, we still DO. But then, who actually uses video disks these days? Everything is streaming, just as eventually with self driving no one will own their own cars anymore.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Unrelated.

I forget even what your last "sky is falling" thread was. Life seems to go on.

Wow! If you think the stock dropping below 190 is "life goes on" I'd hate to see what you consider a bad day! Then there is the capital grab that Musk swore was not needed. The next two years are all about expansion and that will depend on people buying the cars Tesla is selling.

YOU are the only person saying the sky is falling. Why do you feel the need to bring drama into a discussion. How about if we just discuss the issues rather than getting personal? Or is that the problem? You can't actually dispute the facts I describe?

Reactions: aaron0k
Every thing that happens to Supercharging that reduces it's user friendliness makes non-EV owners less likely to buy a Tesla.
They rolled out this Supercharger change right before Memorial Day weekend. Thankfully! It will do a little to help avoid SC congestion and the negative press that that could generate. The net effect of this is increasing "user friendliness" as more stalls will be available. I'm in SoCal and I'll be more willing to wait for a Supercharger if I know the line will move faster.

It will be that way in the US too. There really aren't many Chademo stations here. Electrify America is building dual stations quickly this year. So most locations will be dual headed chargers.

This is a significant issue in my mind. We need to have one type of charger with one interface. This three choices thing is a load of crap like when every player company made their own format records (no, I'm not that old) or there were two video tape formats (yes, I am that old) or when they had two video disk formats... oh, wait, we still DO. But then, who actually uses video disks these days? Everything is streaming, just as eventually with self driving no one will own their own cars anymore.
Actually I use a lot of video disks because streaming doesn't give me the shows I watch as most are not Hollywood produced. Also streaming tends to take away content that you've purchased leaving you with nothing more than a receipt.

They rolled out this Supercharger change right before Memorial Day weekend. Thankfully! It will do a little to help avoid SC congestion and the negative press that that could generate. The net effect of this is increasing "user friendliness" as more stalls will be available. I'm in SoCal and I'll be more willing to wait for a Supercharger if I know the line will move faster.

I'm not sure how this is going to play out really. You know what happens when resources become scarce, right? They are hoarded. It is not easy to "hoard" charge, but it means people will be more likely to bypass the limit if they can.

The car already tells you when you have enough charge to reach your next destination which may not even be 80%. So for trips and locations like Quartzsite this won't have much impact. This is strictly a local charging issue which means more trips to the chargers.

But the real issue is that Tesla is doing this instead of building more chargers. It's not calculus or rocket science. If Tesla had the money they would build up the charging network as fast as demand. Tesla is hurting for money with Musk approving every dollar spent. That's going to hurt the charging network which for the next four years or so will be the single biggest EV competitive selling feature of their cars. It is also the single biggest factor getting ICE drivers to consider an EV.

Not pumping up the charging network to save money is like laying off salesmen and closing stores... oh, wait, Tesla is doing that too! Is this company trying to shoot themselves in the foot?

I'm not sure how this is going to play out really. You know what happens when resources become scarce, right? They are hoarded. It is not easy to "hoard" charge, but it means people will be more likely to bypass the limit if they can.

The car already tells you when you have enough charge to reach your next destination which may not even be 80%. So for trips and locations like Quartzsite this won't have much impact. This is strictly a local charging issue which means more trips to the chargers.

But the real issue is that Tesla is doing this instead of building more chargers. It's not calculus or rocket science. If Tesla had the money they would build up the charging network as fast as demand. Tesla is hurting for money with Musk approving every dollar spent. That's going to hurt the charging network which for the next four years or so will be the single biggest EV competitive selling feature of their cars. It is also the single biggest factor getting ICE drivers to consider an EV.

Not pumping up the charging network to save money is like laying off salesmen and closing stores... oh, wait, Tesla is doing that too! Is this company trying to shoot themselves in the foot?

No but you can’t get water from a stone. I was showing a perspective model 3 buyer the Kelowna Supercharger location. We pulled up in my leaf and a gentleman jumped out to inform me I couldn’t charge there. (Duh) I explained I was just showing the Supercharger location to a friend as he was thinking of buying a model 3. In conversation with the gent he informed that he and his model S had free supercharging and he was there often. I though maybe he was from Vancouver or something. Nope. He lived four blocks away. Sigh.....

No but you can’t get water from a stone. I was showing a perspective model 3 buyer the Kelowna Supercharger location. We pulled up in my leaf and a gentleman jumped out to inform me I couldn’t charge there. (Duh) I explained I was just showing the Supercharger location to a friend as he was thinking of buying a model 3. In conversation with the gent he informed that he and his model S had free supercharging and he was there often. I though maybe he was from Vancouver or something. Nope. He lived four blocks away. Sigh.....

I don't follow. What's wrong with using the Superchargers locally? Is this one of the overused locations?

How do you like your leaf? Which battery pack do you have? Charge at home I take it? I don't see many other EVs other than Teslas, but that's likely because I don't really know what to look for. The numbers show more Leafs on the road than X's I believe. They've been making them for years!

IThe car already tells you when you have enough charge to reach your next destination which may not even be 80%.
It used to do that, I haven't seen that notification for several months. I believe they got rid of it a few upgrades ago. If anyone has seen it on a recent upgrade, I'd like to know.

I don't follow. What's wrong with using the Superchargers locally? Is this one of the overused locations?

How do you like your leaf? Which battery pack do you have? Charge at home I take it? I don't see many other EVs other than Teslas, but that's likely because I don't really know what to look for. The numbers show more Leafs on the road than X's I believe. They've been making them for years!

Well, maybe I misunderstand the purpose of the Supercharger systym but I thought it was for road trip travel. This guy had a house with a garage (I asked). I don’t get why he would consider charging at a Supercharger? Maybe I misunderstand the supercharger concept. I would think any DC fast charger within a 100 km of home is useless.

We have a first generation 30 KWh 2016 Leaf. Maybe 3.5 years ish. It works fine for what we do right now. Bullet proof. Other than washer fluid never been back to Nissan. Things are changing for us next year a bit as far as driving needs so last year we started to look at alternatives. Fell in love with the model 3 of course. (Who wouldn’t). Great car. However we recently put a deposit down on a new 2020 Nissan Leaf SL Eplus. 8 month waiting list so we won’t see it till next year which actually works out perfect for us as we’ll be out of the country for a bit. We did a lot of test driving of both and had a big list of pros and cons for each. The Leaf won out but for some pretty edge case reasons that don’t apply to most shoppers I’m sure.

Funny story. On the way to the dealership to pick the colour and put down the deposit we had a Blue on white model 3 pull up beside us. Almost threw out the whole list and just call Tesla and say “take my money”. But practicality won out and we went with the Eplus. Sigh.

Right about the time the model Y comes out we’ll be trading in our other car (smart ED convertible). Thinking that’s next on our list and it will check a few boxes that the model 3 couldn’t check.

Stay safe on the road EV brethren. Don’t forget to wave to us “leaf people” from time to time.

Well, maybe I misunderstand the purpose of the Supercharger systym but I thought it was for road trip travel. This guy had a house with a garage (I asked). I don’t get why he would consider charging at a Supercharger? Maybe I misunderstand the supercharger concept. I would think any DC fast charger within a 100 km of home is useless.
The original concept was for road trips, and most SCs are still mainly for that, but because there are many folks that don't have access to charging at home (apartments and condos), There are now Urban SCs that are for local use (they don't charge as fast as the traditional SCs).

The original concept was for road trips, and most SCs are still mainly for that, but because there are many folks that don't have access to charging at home (apartments and condos), There are now Urban SCs that are for local use (they don't charge as fast as the traditional SCs).

Let's face it. Chargers are chargers. While you need highway chargers for trips, there is no restriction on using chargers any time you want. I would have never have believed anyone who could charge at home would take the time to charge at a station just because they could or it was free... until I met a guy at a destination charger who was charging his Chevy Bolt there because it was free. He bought his car to commute about 30 miles each way into DC for the free fuel. I tried to explain to him how cheap it was to charge at home since electricity is cheaper than gas. But I guess he had the mindset that he needed to get it for free even if he spends and hour or two each day at chargers. He was frustrated because the L2 chargers can be faster than they usually are. Same with me. 30 amps at 208 volts rather sucks. At least the Tesla destination chargers can get up to 72 amps/15 kW in my car. Most commercial chargers are 208 volts from the three phase power lines rather than 240 volts like residential power.

Let's face it. Chargers are chargers. While you need highway chargers for trips, there is no restriction on using chargers any time you want. I would have never have believed anyone who could charge at home would take the time to charge at a station just because they could or it was free... until I met a guy at a destination charger who was charging his Chevy Bolt there because it was free. He bought his car to commute about 30 miles each way into DC for the free fuel.
Yes, there are people with that mindset. It's not a problem unless they are depriving someone of charging who really needs it.

Good move by Tesla. If they get even 10% of people to move on earlier than they would have, it was well worth the effort. Increasing the efficiency of the existing network is best for everyone.

Other companies (Audi? Are you listening?) are accomplishing the same thing and inflating their charging speeds by putting large software lockouts at the top end of their batteries - capacity that you NEVER get to use. I like Tesla’s approach better.

We have a first generation 30 KWh 2016 Leaf. Maybe 3.5 years ish. It works fine for what we do right now. Bullet proof. Other than washer fluid never been back to Nissan. Things are changing for us next year a bit as far as driving needs so last year we started to look at alternatives. Fell in love with the model 3 of course. (Who wouldn’t). Great car. However we recently put a deposit down on a new 2020 Nissan Leaf SL Eplus. 8 month waiting list so we won’t see it till next year which actually works out perfect for us as we’ll be out of the country for a bit. We did a lot of test driving of both and had a big list of pros and cons for each. The Leaf won out but for some pretty edge case reasons that don’t apply to most shoppers I’m sure.

Funny story. On the way to the dealership to pick the colour and put down the deposit we had a Blue on white model 3 pull up beside us. Almost threw out the whole list and just call Tesla and say “take my money”. But practicality won out and we went with the Eplus. Sigh.

Right about the time the model Y comes out we’ll be trading in our other car (smart ED convertible). Thinking that’s next on our list and it will check a few boxes that the model 3 couldn’t check.

Stay safe on the road EV brethren. Don’t forget to wave to us “leaf people” from time to time.

No, you dont misunderstand the supercharger network. The issue is, in the early days of tesla, they gave away free supercharging as a benefit with their VERY expensive cars, as a way to help combat the issue of range anxiety. So, lots of people with model S and X have free supercharging, and are "hell bent" on "getting their moneys worth". "They gave me free supercharging, so I am going to use it. Whether I can charge at home or not is irrelevant" is a refrain said around here by many who have the free supercharging benefit.

I personally dont agree with it, but its hard to fault someone for trying to use the thing they were promised when they bought the car. The supercharging network is SUPPOSED to be for people traveling, to ensure they can cross the country in their electric car almost as easily as they could in their ICE / Hybrid. What it turned into, is for many people with free supercharging, a way to save on whatever their electricity would cost them to charge at home (never mind the fact they could do something else if they charge at home, and are likely to spend that saved money if they are at a supercharger in a mall or other location that has places to shop.

I also dont agree with the "just build more supercharger stalls", because that infrastructure would never be able to keep up with cars sold. Building more supercharger stalls at existing locations is not the answer. Increasing supercharger locations might help, but what would help even more is making the supercharger something people use WHILE TRAVELING.

I keep hearing the argument that "well some people live in condos or apartments and cant charge there.. they have to use the supercharger". For me that argument carries zero weight... because every car is NOT for every person, and someone who bought the car without the ability to charge at home or work likely made a mistake in my opinion. They should have gotten a hybrid, or some other ICE. Every product does not have to be suitable for every person. A tesla is simply the wrong tool for someone who can "never" charge at home in my opinion. They need to take responsibility for their choices. No one forced them to buy the tesla.. they signed up for the inconvenience of going to a supercharger to charge frequently (instead of when they travel).

The real "fix" to this problem wont come until the cars with free unlimited supercharging are mostly off the road, and tesla charges enough per kWH over home charging to ensure that people charge when traveling. When you are on a road trip, the difference between a charge costing you .15c a unit or .30c a unit wont matter. You are traveling, and will want the charge. Just like if you need gas in an ICE and pull off to a station that is 50c a gallon more than at home, you might grumble a bit but you dont care. Those 50c a gallon more expensive stations are not frequented by locals though, because they "know better".

Same thing needs to happen with supercharging. The network of superchargers SHOULD be for people who need the charge as they are moving from place to place... in between charging at home, Locals will charge there until it doesnt make sense for them not to, if they can.

Just because I dont agree that locals should charge there, doesnt mean I blame them for trying to "get their monies worth" out of their free unlimited supercharging. They were sold it, so "why not"? Thats why I said this is tesla's fault for giving that perk away WAAY too long.

They also need to STOP running "specials" on free supercharging. They should just give away 2 months of free supercharging with every car, to give people a chance to get their electrical sorted out at home / work, and thats it. No free supercharging miles for referrals, etc. All of that drives people to superchargers who clog them up.

They seem to be moving in that direction, with making the referral supercharger miles expire in 6 months, but they need to do more, and building out supercharger stalls in current locations sure isnt it.

Reactions: aaron0k
Obviously you don't need it. Nearly every usage of my car is a trip when I will need to charge. Tesla doesn't want to waste other's time and I don't want to waste my time by having to come back before returning home. It's already enough of a PITA to never be sure of how much of the battery I will use combined with the much more limited range and the sparse availability of Superchargers... well, I don't like driving out of my way just because I own an EV. But then I guess Mark Twain was right. A Tesla comes under the heading of "all the modern inconveniences".

Puck Tesla. If I need 90% or even 95%, it is in no one's interest for me to return a second time to charge.
Seems you did not read the change notes and are negative Tesla for no reason. SC network is best hands down. If your car has a destination in NAV then SC will charge to 100% if needed. If it is not needed at that high volume location then it will default to 80 - which is better for battery longevity with a lot of SC anyways. I don't see the problem but certainly and not trying to debate the issue.

Seems you did not read the change notes and are negative Tesla for no reason. SC network is best hands down. If your car has a destination in NAV then SC will charge to 100% if needed. If it is not needed at that high volume location then it will default to 80 - which is better for battery longevity with a lot of SC anyways. I don't see the problem but certainly and not trying to debate the issue.

So you are saying the system can be cheated by entering an appropriate trip? Yes, I get that. But "need" is a relative term. If I am charging at Gaithersburg I only have 25 more miles to reach my real destination. But I'm going to charge to 90% so I don't have to return to charge again before the weekend is over and can reach the charger that will be on my route home... which is NOT the route the car would send me on if I let it pick. The car tries to send me on the most congested roads in the country. I take the back way which requires about 30% on the battery to reach the only Supercharger on the route with charge to spare.

I am really sick and tired of always having to sweat the charging and the range and Tesla telling me they won't fix my car because they are "working" on a permanent repair and all the other BS. I paid a bunch of money for this car and seem to do nearly all my driving on trips. Why should I have to drive the way Tesla wants me to drive rather than the way I want to drive? I want to drive over 200 miles before charging so I can combine it with a meal break rather than stopping twice for 30 minutes each which requires me to rush a meal so I don't get hit with idle fees.

I guess when I bought the car Tesla made a promise that it would be a good experience. Now they are trying to renege on that.

@gnuarm

I am guessing I know the answer to this question, but I am going to ask anyway. Why did you create this thread in the model 3 section, instead of the model X section (your car) or a general tesla discussion? This is not about "model 3 battery and charging". This is about tesla charging infrastructure.

So, other than trying to get more eyeballs on this post as its one of the more popular sections, why is it here in THIS section?

I think tesla has done a great job of building out the charging infrastructure. I can understand Tesla going public to get more money. I feel one big issue is stock markets are looking for quick gain. Tesla is a long term investment since they are building infrastructure also and not just building cars. They are working to solve the chicken and egg issue. Yes they receive government funding but would not be able to grow at the pace they did if solely on that.

I could be mistaken since I'm not very good at history. But I don't remember any car manufacture building a network of gas stations around the world. I don't want to digress too much, but as a company Tesla looks to solve all problems related to EV future. It's a wonderful vision and a huge task for a company.

I do also see all the issues with ownership, and some things they do much better than other.

To the point I hope this automatic limit helps many owners who don't understand charging curves understand it more. I've educated many owners how to effectively charge at superchargers by explaining the huge taper after 80%. If I got a penny every time a owner asked my why my car finished charging so much faster than theirs and if their car was broken. I can buy a X, 3, and Y to add to my collection, and soon roadster 1 and 2.0

Reactions: darth_vad3r