Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Speeds: Who, what, where, why, and when

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI on the charging speed on the 90KWh pack. After 2020.48.37.1 or later, Tesla restored back the charging speed. I use to be capped at 87KW charging rate for many years after the 1st year of owning the 90D with heavy supercharging usage. Now I can get up to 116KW at peak and it stays there for most of the early charging up to around 60% before going below the 100KW mark. As for degradation, that is still in the air because Tesla did cap me at 87KW - 90KW for years so maybe the battery wasn't hit as hard. Again I am a very heavy supercharging user.

Just FYI on the charging speed on the 90KWh pack. After 2020.48.37.1 or later, Tesla restored back the charging speed. I use to be capped at 87KW charging rate for many years after the 1st year of owning the 90D with heavy supercharging usage. Now I can get up to 116KW at peak and it stays there for most of the early charging up to around 60% before going below the 100KW mark. As for degradation, that is still in the air because Tesla did cap me at 87KW - 90KW for years so maybe the battery wasn't hit as hard. Again I am a very heavy supercharging user.
Great... Any 85D packs out there experience the same thing?

• Funny
Reactions: sorka
Actually look back at my data, I was down to 99KW charging at 44%. Another session, I was 101KW at 37%. So I guess around 40% before going down to 100KW after the firmware unlocked for the 90D pack. I think if I arrive with a warm battery around 40% SOC I can probably get 100KW at 60%, but in both previous logged session, I started at 18% and 4% respectively.

Post your Model S/X supercharging questions below, and I'll update this top post with as many answers as possible. I'll also add in some additional ones.
I had a charge-gated 85kWh pack in my 2014 P85D, ~130k miles.

About a year ago, the pack was replaced under warranty with a reman 85kWh pack after getting the "charge level reduced" errors.

But it is *still* charge-gated. Why is that? To me, it means either they gave me another charge-gated pack, or the charge-gate is tied to the car, not the pack.

About a year ago, the pack was replaced under warranty with a reman 85kWh pack after getting the "charge level reduced" errors.

But it is *still* charge-gated. Why is that? To me, it means either they gave me another charge-gated pack, or the charge-gate is tied to the car, not the pack.
It's tied to the model of pack.

Tesla probably gave you another charge-gate pack. They don't replace packs due to trying to save money. They just fix the pack they get from others and resell it to another owner who have problems. This isn't going to change anytime soon if ever given how limited supply of batteries are.

Tesla probably gave you another charge-gate pack. They don't replace packs due to trying to save money. They just fix the pack they get from others and resell it to another owner who have problems. This isn't going to change anytime soon if ever given how limited supply of batteries are.

All 85s are charge gated except the new 350v pack but you'll never get one of those on a p85d.

2 day owner of 12/2016 MX P90D. We charged at two different locations and even switched chargers. The state of charge has been 20 to 30 to start with and we've taken it up to 80 or 90 and it never goes beyond 42 kW. The person we bought the car from said it always charged 150 kw+. We charged today at SC WITH 150 Kw max and 40 was the fastest. We were the only car there with 10 or 12 stalls. Service texts

In that case, there are no upgrades that will improve Supercharging speed. We've performed HV Battery diagnostics on your vehicle and found everything is operating as intended with no irregularities or underlying issues.

There could be potentially a limiting factor on the Supercharger side in addition to the number of variables that can affect Supercharging speed.

At this point there are no corrective actions to take, as operations are as expected.

what could you suggest? Other than navigating to supercharger how can you warm battery in advance? Thank you!

Attachments

• 4D572EC8-CA45-4402-87A6-7D61C0F36471.jpeg
    4D572EC8-CA45-4402-87A6-7D61C0F36471.jpeg
    456.6 KB · Views: 168
Hi @Megan Reeves

First of all, please provide us more information on your car, like software version, as that sometimes makes a difference. Below, I'm assuming 2021.04. Also battery "mileage" and supercharger usage will affect your charging rate.

You will never ever see charges above 150 kW, but you should get close. You can check what others get on Fleet Charging MAX (Firmware)
I don't see an X P90D in there, but X 90D should be close enough.

Some people suggest that the 90 battery is no longer limited by high supercharger usage (used to be 90 kW max), but it's unclear to me whether that is the case or not.

As you'll see from the graph, 40 kW @ 79% is about right.

The best charging speed will be with a warmed up battery and low state of charge (SoC).

I have a 2016 S 85D. To warm it up at low SoC, I will accelerate by flooring it to about 70mph (speed limit), then regening until about 20-30 mph (depending on traffic conditions). I'll do this 7-8 times while close to the supercharger. I've only had to do this a couple of times, but worked perfectly. I also have the advantage of a hill between 2 roundabouts that's right next to the supercharger. When I did this, I tried charging with 3-4% while coldish. Didn't go above 30 kW. Charged a few percentages, did the high acceleration / high regen "procedure", came back with about 4%, got the max for my car at the time of 118 kW. I did have the navigate to supercharger on, but not sure that did anything as it was only a few minutes that it was on before returning.

As always, your results may vary. And be prepared for the acceleration at low SoC to be sluggish (totally normal). If the power limit goes too low, your battery might be uncalibrated / unbalanced and your car might shut down, so first try this at a higher SoC than what I did.

Hope that helps and congratulations on your purchase!

tl;dr: Repeating high acceleration followed by high regen at low SoC with navigate to supercharger on will get your battery quickly warmed up. Do this while close to the supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
2 day owner of 12/2016 MX P90D. We charged at two different locations and even switched chargers. The state of charge has been 20 to 30 to start with and we've taken it up to 80 or 90 and it never goes beyond 42 kW. The person we bought the car from said it always charged 150 kw+. We charged today at SC WITH 150 Kw max and 40 was the fastest. We were the only car there with 10 or 12 stalls. Service texts

In that case, there are no upgrades that will improve Supercharging speed. We've performed HV Battery diagnostics on your vehicle and found everything is operating as intended with no irregularities or underlying issues.

There could be potentially a limiting factor on the Supercharger side in addition to the number of variables that can affect Supercharging speed.

At this point there are no corrective actions to take, as operations are as expected.

what could you suggest? Other than navigating to supercharger how can you warm battery in advance? Thank you!
Since you have a P, you can use Insane+ or Ludicrous+ mode to warm the battery if you're above 20% SoC. The battery heater will cut off if you go below 20%, however.

Hi @Megan Reeves

First of all, please provide us more information on your car, like software version, as that sometimes makes a difference. Below, I'm assuming 2021.04. Also battery "mileage" and supercharger usage will affect your charging rate.

You will never ever see charges above 150 kW, but you should get close. You can check what others get on Fleet Charging MAX (Firmware)
I don't see an X P90D in there, but X 90D should be close enough.

Some people suggest that the 90 battery is no longer limited by high supercharger usage (used to be 90 kW max), but it's unclear to me whether that is the case or not.

As you'll see from the graph, 40 kW @ 79% is about right.

The best charging speed will be with a warmed up battery and low state of charge (SoC).

I have a 2016 S 85D. To warm it up at low SoC, I will accelerate by flooring it to about 70mph (speed limit), then regening until about 20-30 mph (depending on traffic conditions). I'll do this 7-8 times while close to the supercharger. I've only had to do this a couple of times, but worked perfectly. I also have the advantage of a hill between 2 roundabouts that's right next to the supercharger. When I did this, I tried charging with 3-4% while coldish. Didn't go above 30 kW. Charged a few percentages, did the high acceleration / high regen "procedure", came back with about 4%, got the max for my car at the time of 118 kW. I did have the navigate to supercharger on, but not sure that did anything as it was only a few minutes that it was on before returning.

As always, your results may vary. And be prepared for the acceleration at low SoC to be sluggish (totally normal). If the power limit goes too low, your battery might be uncalibrated / unbalanced and your car might shut down, so first try this at a higher SoC than what I did.

Hope that helps and congratulations on your purchase!

tl;dr: Repeating high acceleration followed by high regen at low SoC with navigate to supercharger on will get your battery quickly warmed up. Do this while close to the supercharger.
If I’m looking in the right place v10.2 2020.48.471
27400 miles
The previous owner infrequently supercharged. We charge at home and have just played with supercharging when it got to 30% SOC. It’s very slow and wouldn’t be a viable option for a trip at this rate. Will try the battery warm up with insane + and see if that makes a difference.

27400 miles
The previous owner infrequently supercharged. We charge at home and have just played with supercharging when it got to 30% SOC. It’s very slow and wouldn’t be a viable option for a trip at this rate. Will try the battery warm up with insane + and see if that makes a difference.

You're almost up to date, but shouldn't matter much for the charge speed as there were no changes from what I know.

Infrequent charging with only 27k miles should mean you're not capped.

Forgot you can use Ludicrous to warm up the battery, that's what you should try. Remember it does take a while for the battery to get warm, although shouldn't need to get all the way up to get max speed. I think 35C / 95F should suffice. Although not sure if this will heat up the battery faster than navigating to supercharger, but I might be wrong. Worst case, you can actually see the battery temperature. But too hot of a battery isn't good either as supercharging will heat it up and the car will try to cool it. If it can't, it will reduce charging speed.

You're almost up to date, but shouldn't matter much for the charge speed as there were no changes from what I know.

Infrequent charging with only 27k miles should mean you're not capped.

Forgot you can use Ludicrous to warm up the battery, that's what you should try. Remember it does take a while for the battery to get warm, although shouldn't need to get all the way up to get max speed. I think 35C / 95F should suffice. Although not sure if this will heat up the battery faster than navigating to supercharger, but I might be wrong. Worst case, you can actually see the battery temperature. But too hot of a battery isn't good either as supercharging will heat it up and the car will try to cool it. If it can't, it will reduce charging speed.
I will try that! Is there any way to get more up to date software or it just downloads when it wants to? Took it Tesla and they said it charged at 92kw. They were happy.

I will try that! Is there any way to get more up to date software or it just downloads when it wants to? Took it Tesla and they said it charged at 92kw. They were happy.
Connect it to WiFi when it's not being used is the best way to get updates. Mine is not parked close to my house (I don't have a driveway) so I just hotspot from my phone when I want it to update.

Post your Model S/X supercharging questions below, and I'll update this top post with as many answers as possible. I'll also add in some additional ones.

On hot days, people have recommended placing a wet towel on the handle of the supercharger so the SC does not throttle. Any concern on this causing damage? Is the handle temp just for keeping the handle cool enough to touch?

27400 miles

If you're navigating to the supercharger, it will preheat the battery by the time you arrive if the supercharger destination is far enough away when you begin navigating to allow it to get battery warm.

• Helpful