Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging to reduce ownership cost of a Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Changing the policy for new buyers is all fair of course as long as they communicate it clearly.

I also expect Tesla not to limit things for existing customers beyond letters. We'll see.

Tesla will sort it out somehow; they will have to, if they adhere to their announced strategy of building hundreds of thousands of cars, because then superchargers will get crowded and queues will form. People hate to wait in lines for gas, and will hate this even more because the wait times could be longer. You know what I'd like to see eventually? A supercharger at every gas station and truck stop, and Level 2 chargers all over every parking lot. Maybe this problem will die down then.

Provide me one quote with limitations expressed on Supercharging until recently.

There was none. It is a new proposition which hopefully will not materialize for existing owners beyond letters.

I'm a big believer in keeping it real. My view is Tesla's messaging changed.

I don't blame them much, but realistically it has to be said this is a new message.

You know, the biggest problem with being retired is that you never get a day off. And that means I always have time to read discussions like on this thread. But my question is, are all you posters retired as well? Otherwise, can't believe the time and effort being applied here, rather than to productive enterprises. Been retired for 17 years, but this thread is making me think I should go back to work!:wink:

LOL! This thread is starting to make me think something too, but it *shore ain't* [sic] to go back to work!!! :)

Tesla will sort it out somehow; they will have to, if they adhere to their announced strategy of building hundreds of thousands of cars, because then superchargers will get crowded and queues will form. People hate to wait in lines for gas, and will hate this even more because the wait times could be longer. You know what I'd like to see eventually? A supercharger at every gas station and truck stop, and Level 2 chargers all over every parking lot. Maybe this problem will die down then.

It would be nice if cars in queue for a charge (with drivers still at the wheel) were notified when it was their turn and what charger they were assigned to charge at. The chargers could also be programmed to not allow other cars to charge if they jump the line. Such a system could be useful at some of the larger superchargers where there are still lines and it is hard to tell who's next in line.

Free supercharging doesn't specify the power level. All Tesla needs to do is limit the power to the local usage outliers such that it takes two or three times as long to charge (as has been suspected here previously) and those owners will have incentive to start charging overnight at home. It's not going to take changing what's advertised or a new business model for future cars or anything the vast majority of Tesla owners would notice. Supercharging has always been "up to X kw" or "as fast as X minutes", well, the abusers just won't get the maximum rate. It's still supercharging at 40 kW, that's four times faster than a 14-50, but not something most people would want to wait around for if they can figure out a way to charge overnight at home.
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? implementing that would just increase wait times for those trying to get places. If I have time to waste at a supercharger I probably have time to waste waiting for it to finish charging.

Instead of limiting the charge rate, they could limit the charge time. If locals were only given 5 minutes to charge and then had to wait X number of hours for another charge, that would prevent them from taking up a charger needed by someone else and give them an incentive to find another charging option. That would still be free charging...just doled out in very small increments so as to make it less convenient.
Another idea that has been floated around is "free charging, but not free parking". If you couple a fee for "parking" at the supercharger with a reduced "allowed charge time", you could make one class of abuse pay for more stalls pretty easily.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it needs to be said: Tesla may have made a mistake in proclaiming Superchargers free for life of Model S. If so, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say it wasn't an intentional mistake. Now they may be hurting and backtracking from that general statement.
I think you missed your calling as a lawyer or politician in the States. This is exactly the kind of stuff global productivity is wasted on - lawyers and politicians.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? implementing that would just increase wait times for those trying to get places. If I have time to waste at a supercharger I probably have time to waste waiting for it to finish charging.

Here's a different approach that I mentioned in one of the other similar threads:

Instead of tapering, just give them 5 minutes of charging time. Then send them alerts if they don't unplug from the charger right away. If they continue to stay plugged in (but not receiving a charge), penalize them on future charges. For every X minutes that they stayed plugged in, on future charges, do NOT allow charging for the same amount of time. Force them to disconnect again, wait the specified time and then return to continue charging. For example, after their 5 minutes of charging, they remain connected to the charger for 2 hours (not receiving a charge). The next time they try to do a supercharge, display a message that they are temporarily suspended for 2 hours. They must disconnect and wait 2 hours before charging. They'll see that as an inconvenience that is directly related to how long they inconvenienced other drivers. They still get free charging but it is enough of a hassle that they would hopefully try to find a better option.

Another idea that has been floated around is "free charging, but not free parking". If you couple a fee for "parking" at the supercharger with a reduced "allowed charge time", you could make one class of abuse pay for more stalls pretty easily.

I'd have no problem with that, if that means parking after the car is charged (plus maybe some small time to return to the car). Would sound fair.

To me parking at a Supercharger definitely sounds like abuse (unless it is a shared parking spot) and has been pointed out by Tesla at least since 2013 as something not to do. It is also something one could, depending on location, probably use regular traffic signage to regulate.

Yes. Sounds similar to my idea...and I think penalizing them for parking would get the message across really quickly!

It has to be said that you're incorrect. It's not a new message. You choosing not to hear it might be new, but it's not a new message.

Yes and I think you are wrong too. :)

As I've explained elsewhere, I don't doubt Tesla has explained various intents for building the Supercharging network.

I disagree they expressed limitations on their use frequency or location or intent, on the contrary I believe they savored the unrestricted free for life aspect as a marketing benefit.

As I've explained elsewhere, I don't doubt Tesla has explained various intents for building the Supercharging network.

I disagree they expressed limitations on their use frequency or location or intent, on the contrary I believe they savored the unrestricted free for life aspect as a marketing benefit.
What is your obsession with this? As you said, it doesn't apply to you, yet you have posted on this dozens of times in the past week. Perhaps it is time to move on.

Unmitigated balderdash in my opinion! All the SC marketing benefit from the beginning was about enabling road trips. As clearly demonstrated by many posters upstream.

There's also the marketing benefit about leaving your garage with full range every day - without ever going to a gas station.

To me, and the 75%* of MS owners who have NEVER gone to a supercharger (and maybe never will), the LATTER is the MUCH more compelling marketing benefit.

If someone told me as a MARKETING BENEFIT I could go to a designated spot - which may be many miles from my home - to charge for free... vs. in my garage for <5 cents per mile... I'd think they were a CRAPPY marketeer.

The audience that would consider free daily SC charging a significant marketing benefit is small, small, small.

* The 75% is a WAG!!!!! But I'll bet it is not far off. Tesla ought to know, would love to hear the statistic.

OOPS, this post re-subscribed me to this thread I unsubscribed from a week ago - for blood pressure reasons!

I agree there are probably more Supercharger users that never use it, than there are daily users. That, of course, is a guess.

In a way, thanks for making one of my points about the alleged "abuse" and nature of fixed-price business models. ;) Companies benefit from some customers more than others and the purpose of the business model is to even it out.

My point: If limitations exist, they should be clearly stated. Until now, they were not in my opinion. But as for the marketing message perception, I'm willing to agree to disagree.

+1 :)

- - - Updated - - -

What is your obsession with this? As you said, it doesn't apply to you, yet you have posted on this dozens of times in the past week. Perhaps it is time to move on.

Tesla ownership applies to me, and I am interested in participating in a Tesla community, hence my interest. It is true I am not currently directly affected by Superchargers usually, but I think the topic itself is interesting and something I've paid attention to. If anything, I'd think lack of an immediate personal bias on the matter frees my thinking on this a little more than if I'd be on one of the opposite receiving ends of this debate. But I appreciate other perspectives too.

As for moving on, I agree the topic has stated to spin in circles.

This thread is why we can't have nice things.

If you are a cheapo who wants to buy a Tesla, and save $5 of electricity, I HOPE YOU NEVER BUY A TESLA, and I don't think you ever will.
Yes, if you charge at superchargers everyday, when you could easily charge at home, you are ABUSING a system created out of goodwill for the better good.
Sure you'll move your car when a long distance traveller shows up, well guess what, the long distance traveller doesn't wear a sign on his forehead. Most polite people will wait for you to finish.
And no you won't move out of the way, if you are cheap enough to save $5 of electricity, you will be uncouth enough to not move either. It just comes as a whole package.

Other similar actions in the same category as being a supercharger freeloader,
- Loading up on free samples and never buying the product
- Stealing paper napkins and ketchup from local restaurants
- Stealing free cookies or candy left out for kids at grocery stores and banks
- being a conference swag free loader.
- buying a camera at best buy right before your vacation, and returning it right after your vacation (after using it)
- not paying for public transport because nobody checks (atleast in some european countries they never do).

Seriously, act like you belong here, don't be a freeloader.

And kill this thread already. Its depressing and disgusting that someone would even suggest saving $5 of electricity on a 100K car.
Even if it was a $10K car, pay your fair share, or walk! Have some self respect for gods sake!

Stop with the name calling and judgements. Sheesh! I bet if you opened up your financials, we could probably find stupid things you've done to save money or waste money.

I have a long commute and I charge at home 90% of the time versus 10% at SCs, but that's my choice that best fits my lifestyle. As far as someone doing it to save $5 on electricity, so what? It doesn't affect you! Many financial planners suggest finding ways to save a few bucks from their daily/weekly lifestyle and invest those savings. It's been dubbed the "latte factor" and suggests people skip the coffee store occasionally. You can deride people who find ways to save a few bucks and here, but if those "cheapos" are investing their savings, then all the more power to them. Just another perspective. Try it.

Stop with the name calling and judgements. Sheesh! I bet if you opened up your financials, we could probably find stupid things you've done to save money or waste money.

I have a long commute and I charge at home 90% of the time versus 10% at SCs, but that's my choice that best fits my lifestyle. As far as someone doing it to save $5 on electricity, so what? It doesn't affect you! Many financial planners suggest finding ways to save a few bucks from their daily/weekly lifestyle and invest those savings. It's been dubbed the "latte factor" and suggests people skip the coffee store occasionally. You can deride people who find ways to save a few bucks and here, but if those "cheapos" are investing their savings, then all the more power to them. Just another perspective. Try it.

you missed his point.