Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging to reduce ownership cost of a Model S.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm well aware of what's involved in charging a Tesla in my garage since I have a hard-wired Clipper Creek unit at home that splits time with my P85 and my wife's Focus EV. If somebody wants to spend their time using local SC'ers because they feel that works best for them, I'm all for it.

I primarily charge at home, but for those occasional instances when using the local SC is a better option for me, I'll do so.

That's fine but I still don't think it is quicker or easier. Cheaper sure but that person should in theory be near their car while charger at the Supercharger so they are tied to that location for 20+ min.

Doubtful. I suspect it will be for those owners that they feel are abusing the privilege just to save a few bucks.

That's the way I read it too. It's like data plans and cell phones. There are 10% of users that use 50% of the data or something crazy like that (read something like that a while ago but not sure of exact number).

In case the OP and his echo chamber don't take the trouble to click the above links:
"For the Superchargers, as we said in the initial press release, the Superchargers are free, it's basically free long distance for life, forever. Um, so free long distance forever is what the Superchargers are providing. Now, there are a few people who are, like, quite agressively using it for local Supercharging, um, and we'll sort of send them just a reminder note that it's cool to do this occasionally, but it's not, it's meant to be a long-distance thing. But it is Free Long Distance Forever"
I feel somewhat vindicated. No more need for analogies. I already pointed to multiple quotes on the website where they are explicitly encouraging road trips (and that they made the supercharger free for this purpose) and also a blog entry that shows they are suggesting people to daily charge at home/work and save superchargers for roadtrips. Apparently that wasn't convincing enough.

With this statement from Elon, it makes it very clear superchargers are mainly intended for long distance trips and it shows Tesla *is* actively discouraging people using it for daily local travel.

Last edited:
What about daily long distance travel? :)
Fair game from all my interpretation of Tesla's statements on this so far. Superchargers are supposed to fill in for situations where there is a necessity for high speed charging (long trips and people without home charging options). It is free for that reason. If you have a long commute where you can't make it without stopping at a supercharger, that is absolutely within intended use the way I see it. However, you should also take advantage of all your home/work charging options or else there is little difference with the OP.

I guess it will take Elon to break my silence. I wonder if it my thread prompted Elon himself, or some concerned shareholder to contact Elon, to address this issue on his latest press release. If it did, great! I am glad he is reading or at least having people monitor this forum. Hopefully all for the betterment of EV and his tesla cars. This forum is all about helping Tesla make better cars through technology, user experience, promoting EV community, etc.

To those who are wondering, all the comments beforehand are rehashing of the same thing. Hence why I didn't respond to those comments. In light of the new statements from Elon, I figured this warrants me breaking my silence just this one time. Then I will be back to silent as usual until the next good comment or some new directly from Tesla or Musk himself regarding free supercharging.

After reading some post on Elon's stance, watching, and listening to his answer at the shareholder meeting on free supercharging and its abuse, here my take on it:

Great we now know Elon has TWEAKED his stance on the supercharging. He is probably being proactive about it before it becomes a problem. Hopefully this is a harbinger of what is to come for the Model 3. Hence why I was a firm believer that the Model 3 will probably not have free supercharging for life, but more of a pay per use deal or maybe free for x amount of times per month or some other scheme of limiting supercharging use to those who really need them however they want to implement it. This is not the point of this thread and I think another thread foster that discussion much better.

Here is why I know they have changed their stance on the matter. Free Supercharging for life of the car is definitely a selling point of the Model S. Without it, I know their sale numbers will be lower or they would have to lower the price of the car to generate the same level of sale. Implementing some system to charge user per use is definitely easy. Think of how Blink, ChargePoint, GreenLot, etc have done it. If those companies can do it and find a business model that works, I am sure Tesla can do this so much better. Therefore this is definitely NOT the reason why they didn't implement a pay per use scheme. It is about about convenience and easy of use. No need to worry about cost, etc.

However that being said, ultimately Elon is saying is free supercharging is not scalable the way they have sold it. In fact, I don't think it was ever scalable they way he sold it. Tesla is definitely rethinking the free and how it will affect their bottom line because the cost of building and maintaining these stations to support the ever increasing number of cars will hurt profits.

Now to the sticky point everyone want to know. What will I do now? Simple. I will do what I have profess to do. What Elon has said doesn't affect what he is still being advertised on the Tesla website. Musk has sold the Model S with free unrestricted supercharging. Does this mean I would change my ways just because now Elon thinks he oversold me on something?

Here are some analogies to help understand where I am coming from:
1) Would you stop accepting social security just because you know the government oversold you on it?
2) Would give up your pension pay just because you know the city or state oversold you your pension?
3) Would you decline insurance payout when a natural disaster like fire or earthquake destroys your home and countless others just because you know the insurance company oversold you on their policies?

Point is this is how Tesla initially sold the supercharging and this is how I intend to use it. Free supercharging for life and charge as much as you want. I guess the point is until they remove this from their advertising I will still do what I stated I plan to do before this press release. If I get the notice, fine I get the notice. Here are the ways Tesla can deter me from doing what plan to do:

1) Change the rules on free supercharging for the Model S. (Definitely a class action lawsuit coming if they do)

2) Change the rules for NEW Model S, and keep the current one on the "old" plan. Since I don't have the car yet, I will not be on the "old" plan and would not be able to charge for free. This is totally fine with me, though I would prefer they remove the cost of supercharging from the cost of the car.

3) Congestion at my local supercharging station during the time I plan to charge. At which point, I will install the NEMA 14-50 at my house and be done with it.

4) Move the supercharging station somewhere else where it does not favor me to detour and charge. (highly unlikely for tesla to do and a total waste of money)

Here is what it really comes down to and brx140 have made the only argument I think is ultimately valid in EVERYONE's view including Elon's. I suspect if Elon say what brx140 is saying or something similar it would not be a good response for shareholder because this problem of congestion and electricity usage might sneak into their bottom-line. It just means they will need to every expand their stations.

I can't put it any better way.

What is really comes down to is that nobody wants to wait at a supercharger for a stall, especially if they're waiting for someone that's just trying to save $3.85 in electricity that night...and who could blame anyone for getting peeved at that kind of situation? The moral of the story is and has always been to use a little bit of common courtesy when charging locally...even if you're the only one extending that courtesy.

This has been and always been my stance on this topic.

And for all those too lazy not to read what I plan to do here is my older post:
Here is what I plan to do once I get the car. I hope others who plan to follow suit will do something similar:

1) Charge for 15-30 minutes every other day on my way to work ideally. Occasionally on my way home.

2) Balance charge at home on the 120V once a month to maintain the battery, supercharging first, of course, to higher SOC beforehand.

3) If the supercharging stations are full, I will skip the charging for the day. If not, I will charge there for 15-30 minutes.

4) During charging, if ALL the stalls are occupied and someone shows up, then I'll unplug and leave regardless of how long I've been there.

5) If the stations gets more congested in the future, I'll look into installing NEMA 14-50 and maybe solar once I build my funds up again.

6) If I ever move or work at a different place where it doesn't favor me to supercharge every other day for 15-30 minutes anymore, then I'll install the NEMA 14-50 and look into solar.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Hopefully you can all see what I plan to do will NOT affect anyone who need it for road trips. Use EV charging etiquette and no one will have a problem... except maybe Tesla and their shareholders.

I'm adamantly opposed to people using the supercharger network for daily charging. In everything I've seen/read about the Supercharging network it was clear that it was meant for long distance travel just like it says so today.

• "Free long distance travel using Tesla’s Supercharger network"
Personally I'm against a lot of things people do to save a buck or two where it massively inconveniences others. It's selfish/rude behavior that used to be handled with a good swift kick in the arse, but now we have lawyers to deal with it. The whole arse kicking is frowned upon these days. So instead of that we have declaimers, and clauses. We have to sign document after document. We have laws AGAINST everything. So we live in a world with selective enforcement, and a lawyer on speed dial.

It's exhausting. Almost as exhausting as it would be to stop for 15-30min every day to charge.

To flip things around even if I was a clueless selfish prick who wanted to do this it wouldn't be in my best interest.

Why? Because one of those most fundamental rules in life is to control your destiny. How are you controlling your destiny by relying on the availability/functionality of a supercharger. There are all kinds of things that could happen, and a person who relies on a supercharger is limiting his/her options. From a cost calculation the savings don't add up. Unless someone was absolutely dirt poor or just had it out for Tesla they would quickly drop this silly plan and they'd get a 14-50.

- - - Updated - - -

I shouldn't have to ask, but is this entire thread Satire?

No one could be this stupid to actually do this.

Sure, it's a fun exercise when talking about in theory. Heck I thought about paying off the Tesla, and becoming a bum. Where I'd just live off the supercharger network. Occasionally I'd give rides to people in exchange for money for food. I wouldn't have to worry about freezing to death or dying from heat. I'd have shelter that was big enough to put down a blow up mattress.

I was going to write a book called "The Tesla Bum" or something like that.

Last edited:
This thread is why we can't have nice things.

If you are a cheapo who wants to buy a Tesla, and save $5 of electricity, I HOPE YOU NEVER BUY A TESLA, and I don't think you ever will.
Yes, if you charge at superchargers everyday, when you could easily charge at home, you are ABUSING a system created out of goodwill for the better good.
Sure you'll move your car when a long distance traveller shows up, well guess what, the long distance traveller doesn't wear a sign on his forehead. Most polite people will wait for you to finish.
And no you won't move out of the way, if you are cheap enough to save $5 of electricity, you will be uncouth enough to not move either. It just comes as a whole package.

Other similar actions in the same category as being a supercharger freeloader,
- Loading up on free samples and never buying the product
- Stealing paper napkins and ketchup from local restaurants
- Stealing free cookies or candy left out for kids at grocery stores and banks
- being a conference swag free loader.
- buying a camera at best buy right before your vacation, and returning it right after your vacation (after using it)
- not paying for public transport because nobody checks (atleast in some european countries they never do).

Seriously, act like you belong here, don't be a freeloader.

And kill this thread already. Its depressing and disgusting that someone would even suggest saving $5 of electricity on a 100K car.
Even if it was a $10K car, pay your fair share, or walk! Have some self respect for gods sake!

I feel somewhat vindicated. No more need for analogies. I already pointed to multiple quotes on the website where they are explicitly encouraging road trips (and that they made the supercharger free for this purpose) and also a blog entry that shows they are suggesting people to daily charge at home/work and save superchargers for roadtrips. Apparently that wasn't convincing enough.

With this statement from Elon, it makes it very clear superchargers are mainly intended for long distance trips and it shows Tesla *is* actively discouraging people using it for daily local travel.

Yes, they are making that statement now. While it is true super-chargers were devised to allow cross-country travel, they were explicitly marketed for local charging as well.

Again, to quote Tesla website December 2014:

Will it always be free?

Yes, Superchargers will be free to use for Supercharging-enabled vehicles for the life of Model S.

Customers are free to use the network as much as they like.

How can I help bring a Supercharger to my area?

Send your suggestion to Tesla here.

Obviously Tesla is now backtracking, perhaps because they don't find the policy they publicized sustainable.

I'm not really blaming Tesla for it, the original policy never seemed realistic to me, but I think we need to be honest that a change was made, not try to explain it away.

To those who are wondering, all the comments beforehand are rehashing of the same thing. Hence why I didn't respond to those comments.

Well except those that point out that you attempted to claim this wasn't about attempting to save money, and directly contradicted yourself.

Great we now know Elon has TWEAKED his stance on the supercharging.

On the contrary, it appears his stance has been the same all along. Apparently he needed to clarify it for those who didn't grasp the context of how the superchargers were being presented.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, they are making that statement now. While it is true super-chargers were devised to allow cross-country travel, they were explicitly marketed for local charging as well.

Again, to quote Tesla website December 2014:
Will it always be free?

Yes, Superchargers will be free to use for Supercharging-enabled vehicles for the life of Model S.

Customers are free to use the network as much as they like.

Please note that "unlimited use" is not mutually exclusive to "within specific conditions".

I can have unlimited soda refills, but it's for that lunch sitting only.

Obviously Tesla is now backtracking, perhaps because they don't find the policy they publicized sustainable.

This doesn't appear obvious at all. What appears obvious is that many folks were taking individual statements out of context all along, and Elon has had to now be even more specific.

This doesn't appear obvious at all. What appears obvious is that many folks were taking individual statements out of context all along, and Elon has had to now be even more specific.

I find much less proof of supercharging being meant only for long-distance travel than I find of the opposite in Tesla marketing prior to this spring when they changed the language. Nowhere did I see such qualifications before - and now specific qualifications have clearly been added to the text and to Elon's answers. What used to be "free for life" is now "long-distance free for life". They added those words to many places.

I think Tesla simply thought, prior, they could sustain even a certain level of local charging and thought the old line of "free for life, unlimited" sold the concept and the car better. Now they are changing their minds.

For me the Occam's razor is, the old liberal position became unsustainable for them and they decided to change the policy by adjusting the wording. Anything else seems splitting hairs to me. If they enforce it for existing owners, I wager it could be argued bait and switch, which is why I doubt Tesla will try to enforce it beyond letters. I do sympathize for Tesla, but the original sales pitch for the Supercharger was their own doing. Re-writing history doesn't seem comfortable for myself either, which I think it reeks a bit of.

Hopefully it will remain a soft issue, instead of hard policy, so we can chalk the episode up to nothing much. One can expect, though, it to become a hard policy for Model 3 and beyond (and perhaps new Model S sales etc.), if "free" Supercharging is offered at all for those cars. But for new sales that is OK of course. For new sales Tesla can make any new sales pitch they want.

p.s. I live nowhere near a Supercharger, so I'm not abusing anything.

Free supercharging doesn't specify the power level. All Tesla needs to do is limit the power to the local usage outliers such that it takes two or three times as long to charge (as has been suspected here previously) and those owners will have incentive to start charging overnight at home. It's not going to take changing what's advertised or a new business model for future cars or anything the vast majority of Tesla owners would notice. Supercharging has always been "up to X kw" or "as fast as X minutes", well, the abusers just won't get the maximum rate. It's still supercharging at 40 kW, that's four times faster than a 14-50, but not something most people would want to wait around for if they can figure out a way to charge overnight at home.

I find much less proof of supercharging being meant only for long-distance travel than I find of the opposite in Tesla marketing prior to this spring when they changed the language. Nowhere did I see such qualifications before - and now specific qualifications have clearly been added to the text and to Elon's answers. Now they are changing their minds.

Then you missed them earlier. Here's a cut and paste from December of 2013 that I posted in a similar thread back then:

Tesla Motors said:
Superchargers are for refueling quickly on road trips. ... Superchargers will be positioned at convenient locations along major interstates throughout the country.

Here's another quote from the Tesla Supercharging pages from that same thread where 18 months ago the intent was stated as wanting to encourage road trips (not avoid paying for your daily driving needs):

Tesla Motors said:
ROAD TRIPS MADE EASY

Tesla Superchargers allow Model S owners to travel for free between cities along well-traveled highways in North America and Europe. Superchargers provide half a charge in about 20 minutes and are strategically placed to allow owners to drive from station to station with minimal stops.

Why is it free?
We want to encourage Model S owners to take road trips.

Similar descriptions have been used by Elon at the various public events surounding the Superchargers as well.

For me the Occam's razor is, the old liberal position became unsustainable for them and they decided to change the policy by adjusting the wording.

Your reasoning here is based on the faulty premise that they didn't have such specific language previously. They did, as demonstrated above.

Free supercharging doesn't specify the power level. All Tesla needs to do is limit the power to the local usage outliers such that it takes two or three times as long to charge (as has been suspected here previously) and those owners will have incentive to start charging overnight at home. It's not going to take changing what's advertised or a new business model for future cars or anything the vast majority of Tesla owners would notice. Supercharging has always been "up to X kw" or "as fast as X minutes", well, the abusers just won't get the maximum rate. It's still supercharging at 40 kW, that's four times faster than a 14-50, but not something most people would want to wait around for if they can figure out a way to charge overnight at home.

Unfortunately I believe many of the folks that would be intended to discourage would still charge up just to get something for free and the result would be they occupied a spot even longer to get their free charge.

Lots of interpretations being flung around regarding Tesla's intent. So let's look at the video from Tesla's Supercharger reveal event:

Elon Musk introduces the Tesla Supercharger and the first part of a national network which will allow the Model S electric car to travel long distances with ultra fast charging.

The intent has always been consistent. I wish people would stop acting like a position has changed here. It hasn't.

- - - Updated - - -

(Repost from similar thread) And yet another video clarifying Tesla's position that the intention is long-distance travel (from 2 years ago):

Last edited by a moderator: