Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Supercharging"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's not necessarily something wrong. First, it would be better to indicate charging power in kW instead of mph. After that, it might be that your battery is cold and cannot accept more power. Alternatively, your battery might be too high state of charge to accept more. Provide more information and we'll see if there's something wrong.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Have a MS loaner, P85D, 77,000 miles (MY in the shop). Stopped at an 8 stall charger (250kw), 5 cars there and supercharged at 78 mph. What's wrong with that picture?
Batterygate/Chargegate with 85 battery packs.

There is a giant thread on it somewhere. Basically Tesla crippled supercharging to prevent the batteries from catching fire and/or dealing with warranty claims.

Edit: thread for reference

There's not necessarily something wrong. First, it would be better to indicate charging power in kW instead of mph. After that, it might be that your battery is cold and cannot accept more power. Alternatively, your battery might be too high state of charge to accept more. Provide more information and we'll see if there's something wrong.
40% charge and battery preconditioned

What's wrong with that picture?
Maybe you are a new owner who is a bit unfamiliar with some of the history or background of the older cars like a P85D?
Stopped at an 8 stall charger (250kw),
You normally have a Model 3 or Y, right? So you may be a bit spoiled on the newest of the new and maybe expect it to always be that way and that all of the cars even 7 or 8 years old should be able to handle 250 kW charging. That's not the case. Even when brand new, that P85D just did not have the thick enough cables and the battery tech to handle anything over 120kW. That's the best they have ever been capable of.

supercharged at 78 mph.
You sure that wasn't 78 kW? I've seen people not look at the units carefully and mix up kW and mph charging speeds really often.
40% charge
If it was 78 kW at 40%, that is actually a great charging rate. Those 85 batteries had a very predictable, almost linear charge tapering curve as they filled up. Adding the kW charging power to the % full gave about 120-125ish. So if that was 78 kW at 40%, that's 118, which is very close to that good rule of thumb and is about what I would expect.

If that really is 78 rated miles per hour charging rate, though, then that's not very good. The P85D efficiency constant was I think around 290 whrs per mile, so that's around a 26 kW charging power. That is not good at 40%. That seems too low for the limiting that @glide was referring to, so I might think it's a problem with the front vent louvers not working right as it's trying to cool, and it's blocking the radiators, causing too much heat buildup, so it slows the charging rate more. I've seen that defect and symptom discussed here a few times.

Reactions: GtiMart
I remember when Elon said that the loaners would be the newest and best, make you want to get the newest…. I’ve gotten two old Model S that should have been retired from the fleet. This one has a wonky drivers side door handle that you have to really yank on, charges at a glacial rate and now locked the key fob inside the car with my jacket, phone and computer and there’s nobody that can unlock it except (hopefully) the service center when they open in the morning. They were on the passengers seat when I got out, walked around the car, plugged it in and then the door handles retracted as I was walking up to the passengers door. This one makes me wonder how my 2020 MY is going to age.

with a 85 the max speed you can get regardless of any and all outside factors even at a V3 250kW Supercharger is IVO 128kW. But if it does get that high its only for a moment before it falls like a stone. At 40% SoC my P85D charges at 63kW. You can see my excel graph of my SC speeds since Aug 2019. Of course this graph started AFTER tesla nerfed the 85's in early-mid 2019.

Before the great nerfing, if the car was at 50% SoC it would charge at a max of 72kW. now as you can see in the graph 50% is IVO 50kW. this is just what us 85 owners deal with. But i got free SC as long as i have this car so until the speeds get nerfed again its just an inconvenience that most of us are willing to deal with.

Capture.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: GtiMart and Rocky_H
Hello everyone. I'm about to purchase a 2017 Tesla Model S P75 and the owner says it has free supercharging and it will transfer.
I however have heard sooooooo many different answers and hope that you guys can clarify it for me.
I called Tesla today Jan 20th/2022 and they told me no it doesn't.
However I saw several forms and a lot of veteran Tesla Owners have said it's a way around it.
Can someone please help me out and give me the game?

I'm about to purchase a 2017 Tesla Model S P75
No, you are definitely not. There was never a P75. The Performance versions only came in the bigger battery sizes, like 85 or 100. The 75 batteries were never P versions.
and the owner says it has free supercharging and it will transfer.
I however have heard sooooooo many different answers and hope that you guys can clarify it for me.
However I saw several forms and a lot of veteran Tesla Owners have said it's a way around it.
Not exactly a way around it, but the details of this moved around a lot and got very confusing, so knowing what's what is difficult.

First question is, What actual month was it delivered? The old unlimited free Supercharging plan lasted through the orders in the first half of January 2017, with delivery taken within a month or two after that. So if it were one of those, then it would have it. But if it were later in 2017, it gets harder to figure out.

There were some periods that offered free Supercharging to the original owner, plus 1 transfer. It may be that. As to Tesla saying it doesn't, well, a lot of the people at Tesla have only worked there a year or two and don't have a clue about this older stuff. Also, they don't want to continue the old permanent free Supercharging, so they prefer to tell people they don't and only deal with it if the person can find out otherwise and press the issue.

Is the person you're buying it from the original owner? Because if this is a car dealership place, and the car ever got bought back by Tesla and then resold again, then apparently Tesla does get the right to remove it while it is in their ownership.

Here is a way to get more details on it. When the car is sold, the Supercharger plan status is assigned to the VIN as a code. If someone looks at the details of that car in their Tesla online account, it will show a list of information, including that Supercharger code. That will tell what Supercharger plan it really has, like whether it's transferrable or not. Can you get the owner to look that up?

Hello everyone. I'm about to purchase a 2017 Tesla Model S P75 and the owner says it has free supercharging and it will transfer.
there is ways to jerry rig the system to think you are the same person and keep free SC. I've heard varying results of it working or not. regardless it has to be a transfer from the original owner to you no middle man like a dealership. On the OG owner account they need to change their email address to yours then once you have control of the car you add a driver (you with your email) and then remove the original account and give control of it back to the original owner and then you have control of the car as the alt driver which is now the primary as yourself.

Again its hit and miss, there is also a couple other ways to do it if you search google you can find them. But No a 2017 does not have transferable free SC

But No a 2017 does not have transferable free SC
Don't state something like that so absolutely when some do and some don't. We already spelled that out earlier in the thread, that ones ordered in the first half of January and delivered shortly after, definitely DO have the permanent transferrable Supercharging. But for most of the rest of the year, sure, probably don't.