Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superhydrophobic Camera Cover for Model 3 & Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone bought this and does it really work/help with the rain on the back camera? Thank you.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I remember having to continually wipe off the repeater cameras of my old Model 3. But Tesla must have used some kind of dark magic on the repeater cameras on my Y because they never seem to get dirty. The entire car can get covered in salt, but the cameras are as clear as day.

Anyone know what dark magic this is?

Has anyone bought this and does it really work/help with the rain on the back camera? Thank you.

I bought and received it, but have not installed yet since the temps have been too cold to mount adhesive and obtain a good “permanent” bond. I’ll install once it warms up a bit and post my thoughts on how well it works. Hoping it lives up to the reviews.

Reactions: Nikon201068
I just installed this. It was cheap and I figured why not give it a try? We got a lot of rain in CA recently and it was a PITA anytime I needed to back up. Now it just so happened that I installed it and we have no rain anymore so no clue how well it actually works. I can say that it doesn’t seem to degrade the camera clarity at all. It looks exactly the same to me so if it helps keep the camera clear of rain and dirt it will be well worth it.

This is on a Model 3. Can't even read the license plate, but camera view still clear. Just need to avoid power washing that area so water doesn't get in. Hopefully it lasts a long time.
PXL_20230114_181055173.jpg

Edit: Rain-X or ceramic coating the lens don't work as well as the lens cover has worked so far.

Last edited:
Use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm up metal/plastic. If you wait for warmer temps you might be in a season of no rain anymore
Well, it's been around 3F for the last few days around here. I've thought about using a hair dryer and may do that next week when it gets into toasty 30F range. I don't think we're seeing any rain until at least April, but I am curious if this thing could repel some salt buildup.

Yes, very. Causes a little vignetting of the rear view image on the display, but is never blurry - neither during rain, nor coming back to a wet car after the rain. This should really be standard equipment on every Tesla rear camera. I only installed it it in late April, so haven’t used it during the winter yet, but once cleared of snow, it should provide a great image.

Reactions: HeyEph