Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SUPPLY HOUSE SOLD ME THE WRONG GUAGE WIRE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my Nema 14-50 outlet hooked up yesterday, with a 50 amp breaker. I buried about 60 feet of what I thought was 6/3, but when the electrician got here he pointed out they had given me 8/3 wire. He thought is would be OK since the UMC says 32 amps is what it operates at, and hooked it all up--works fine. Should I be OK?? sure don't want to dig all that back up!!! I "assumed" they gave they gave me the right wire--- thoughts??? thanks....

To meet code you would need to swap the breaker for a 40 amp breaker, unless the wire isn't NM-B/UF-B and is actually THWN/etc. With a 50 amp breaker the wire isn't capable of handling all 50 amps, regardless of the 'intended load' not being able to pull above 32A.

Did you actually pay for 6/3 wire? If so, I'd raise hell, cause 8/3 wire should be a good bit cheaper than 6/3 and 60ft of it isn't cheap.

First, what kind of 8/3 did you get? If it's buried outside it needs to be the outdoor-rated, type UF-B. This is NOT the same as standard indoor Romex (type NM-B), which will not last long outside and isn't necessarily waterproof.

Second, 8 gauge wire is fine but you need to change the breaker to a 40 amp one. Type UF-B or NM-B 8 gauge is only rated to a max 40A. Your electrician should not have put a 50A breaker on it.

Whether you use 8 or 6 gauge, your mobile connector will only pull 32A. So either way you're getting the max charging rate you can in a model 3. But you need to make sure the correct breaker is on the circuit. It is perfectly fine to put an 14-50 outlet on a 40 A breaker, since there's no such thing as a 14-40 outlet.

First, what kind of 8/3 did you get? If it's buried outside it needs to be the outdoor-rated, type UF-B. This is NOT the same as standard indoor Romex (type NM-B), which will not last long outside and isn't necessarily waterproof.

Second, 8 gauge wire is fine but you need to change the breaker to a 40 amp one. Type UF-B or NM-B 8 gauge is only rated to a max 40A. Your electrician should not have put a 50A breaker on it.

Whether you use 8 or 6 gauge, your mobile connector will only pull 32A. So either way you're getting the max charging rate you can in a model 3. But you need to make sure the correct breaker is on the circuit. It is perfectly fine to put an 14-50 outlet on a 40 A breaker, since there's no such thing as a 14-40 outlet.

Good note on the UF-B vs. NM-B. I'd assume an electrician should know not to bury NM-B... but who knows. OP, if the wire you bought is actually NM-B (which tends to be the cheapest wire available), you do need to pull that wire and rebury with actual UF-B (or another underground burial rated wire). NM-B isn't allowed to be used outside (buried, in conduit, or otherwise) period.

• Informative
Reactions: davewill
To meet code you would need to swap the breaker for a 40 amp breaker, unless the wire isn't NM-B/UF-B and is actually THWN/etc. With a 50 amp breaker the wire isn't capable of handling all 50 amps, regardless of the 'intended load' not being able to pull above 32A.

Did you actually pay for 6/3 wire? If so, I'd raise hell, cause 8/3 wire should be a good bit cheaper than 6/3 and 60ft of it isn't cheap.
I did pay for 6/3--goig to deal with that...thanks

It is the correct UF-B wire , just not the 6/3 I asked for. I think i will have the breaker changed to 40 amp--many thanks!!

Thanks to all of you for all the help, after I raise hell at the supply company, I am going to get a 40 amp breaker, and ask the electrician to switch out the 50 amp for a 40 amp. It is the right type wire UF-B--buried in conduit--just a lighter gauge than I thought I was getting.

A 40A breaker and 32A charging on a Model 3 gives about 29 miles of range per hour. That's plenty good enough for most people. I wouldn't sweat it. If they give you the cost difference back, I wouldn't lose sleep over it at this point.
Yeah, no perspiration..........however...........if that electrician is a friend and he installed a 50A breaker on 8/3, he shouldn't be a friend. If he's licensed, or works for a licensed electrician, I would make it a point NEVER to use that company EVER again for electrical work.

Yeah, no perspiration..........however...........if that electrician is a friend and he installed a 50A breaker on 8/3, he shouldn't be a friend. If he's licensed, or works for a licensed electrician, I would make it a point NEVER to use that company EVER again for electrical work.
Right--understood about the electrician--after he slept on it he too recommends changing to a 40 amp breaker, which is what I will have him do. The charging speed is plenty good enough for me. thanks to you all!!