Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprised at dual motors cost for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the 'New' s60 has a 5k increase in price just for dual motors. That won't hold for model 3. Too much of an increase.
Model 3 max for dual motor is 3.5k. I'm assuming that the motors are still the same size in the new S60. The model 3 is supposed to have a smaller second motor. Should have labeled or titled it without the 'increase'.

the 'New' s60 has a 5k increase in price just for dual motors. That won't hold for model 3. Too much of an increase.
Model 3 max for dual motor is 3.5k. I'm assuming that the motors are still the same size in the new S60. The model 3 is supposed to have a smaller second motor. Should have labeled or titled it without the 'increase'.

@tsla007,

What is your source for 'the Model 3 is supposed to have a smaller second motor'? I don't believe that's true. From what I've heard the dual motor teslas have the same size front and rear motor on an AWD.

Ski

@tsla007,

What is your source for 'the Model 3 is supposed to have a smaller second motor'? I don't believe that's true. From what I've heard the dual motor teslas have the same size front and rear motor on an AWD.

Ski
Not true. The dual motor Tesla's have a smaller motor in the front. This is how they can achieve better range on the dual motor. The front motor is more efficient at highway speeds. This is how you can get better range out of a heavier car with dual motors.

Just a guess but the M3 will be lighter and therefore they can use a smaller motor.

Not true. The dual motor Tesla's have a smaller motor in the front. This is how they can achieve better range on the dual motor. The front motor is more efficient at highway speeds. This is how you can get better range out of a heavier car with dual motors.

Just a guess but the M3 will be lighter and therefore they can use a smaller motor.
Is there any benefit from increased regen braking?

I think your thread title is factually incorrect.

There has been no "price increase" for the S Dual Motor option for any battery size.

The price for the Model 3 Dual Motor option has not been announced except that Elon said it would be less than $5K.

Dual motor S have the same motors front and back unless they are "P" models in which case the rear motor is the same rear motor used in the rear wheel only model S.
This is from the Tesla website: "Model S Performance comes standard with All-Wheel Drive Dual Motor, pairing the high performance rear motor with a high efficiency front motor to achieve supercar acceleration, from zero to 60 miles per hour in 2.8 seconds."

Not entirely correct either. The non-performance D models has exact same motors in both front and rear. The Performance D model has smaller motor in front, but bigger motor in the rear.

Like other have pointed out, adding 5k for dual motor is nothing new. It has been that way for Model S for a very long time.

This is from the Tesla website: "Model S Performance comes standard with All-Wheel Drive Dual Motor, pairing the high performance rear motor with a high efficiency front motor to achieve supercar acceleration, from zero to 60 miles per hour in 2.8 seconds."
Both your quote (from the Tesla website) and the earlier statement by Tree95 are true. On the Performance D version, the MS has big motor in back (same as on RWD) and smaller in front.

Guys the price is the price. When someone says under $5,000, you are being overly optimistic to count on anything significantly less than $4,999.99 And yes, it will be even MORE in Canada. If you don't like the price / value you can buy a competing Audi/Bmw? Honda or anything else that strikes your fancy.

Reactions: wallet.dat