Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprised not to see a discussion thread about the brand new Energy screens / Charts in Tesla app [7.15.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The y axis got fixed, better now. Now the only thing I miss is the net usage from grid without needing to calculate it myself
IMG_2753.jpeg

Net grid usage is back!

Good to see that the information is back. Probably could be presented somewhat better, but at least it's there again.

Also interesting that no app update was needed to get a change like that.
Yeah, all the information was already there in the servers so they just pushed out the update through the ‘server side’ in txt format.
Rather than go through all the bureaucracy of the app stores.

I do agree that it could be neatened up and better designed in the following updates they push out through the app stores.

Yeah, all the information was already there in the servers so they just pushed out the update through the ‘server side’ in txt format.
Rather than go through all the bureaucracy of the app stores.

I do agree that it could be neatened up and better designed in the following updates they push out through the app stores.

Between the graph y-axis adjustments and net usage being back, it sounds like they just need to bring back the peak/off-peak shading.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Has anyone noticed a data discrepancy between the new version of the app and an older one? I updated the app on only one of my devices, curious to try out the new charts, but the historical data is very different between the two somehow. It's as if there are two different data sources or the new app isn't pulling from all of the correct sources.

If I go to the year view, in the new app, it thinks for the entire month of May and June this year, all solar production has gone to the home with zero net export to the grid, but in the old app, I see reasonable home consumption and net export to the grid. For some other months like Jan and Feb of this year, home production is way off in the new app, and even total monthly solar production is off by as much as +/- a few % depending on the month. It goes both ways, with the new app sometimes reporting more solar production on some months and lower on the others by a few %, but the net so far for the year has the new app a few 10s of kWh higher than the old app out of about 3600kWh or so, so in aggregate not too far off, but strange there would be a difference at all.

Since the home usage is completely all over the map, that means the net grid data must somehow be completely wrong, which is odd since I thought it should come from the Neurio CTs placed on my main power input. The solar being off is also weird since I thought that solar generation comes from the inverter, though at one point Tesla did come by and put a CT on the solar line for revenue grade metering to get their SRECs so maybe that could explain some of the solar differences? Still doesn't explain why net grid consumption is off, or how month-to-month the solar could be off by so much.

Has anyone noticed a data discrepancy between the new version of the app and an older one? I updated the app on only one of my devices, curious to try out the new charts, but the historical data is very different between the two somehow. It's as if there are two different data sources or the new app isn't pulling from all of the correct sources.

If I go to the year view, in the new app, it thinks for the entire month of May and June this year, all solar production has gone to the home with zero net export to the grid, but in the old app, I see reasonable home consumption and net export to the grid. For some other months like Jan and Feb of this year, home production is way off in the new app, and even total monthly solar production is off by as much as +/- a few % depending on the month. It goes both ways, with the new app sometimes reporting more solar production on some months and lower on the others by a few %, but the net so far for the year has the new app a few 10s of kWh higher than the old app out of about 3600kWh or so, so in aggregate not too far off, but strange there would be a difference at all.

Since the home usage is completely all over the map, that means the net grid data must somehow be completely wrong, which is odd since I thought it should come from the Neurio CTs placed on my main power input. The solar being off is also weird since I thought that solar generation comes from the inverter, though at one point Tesla did come by and put a CT on the solar line for revenue grade metering to get their SRECs so maybe that could explain some of the solar differences? Still doesn't explain why net grid consumption is off, or how month-to-month the solar could be off by so much.
We do see data errors where some months of solar generation are missing.

looks like there is a bug in teh new app. It is showing solar + PW going to house during Peak which I have defined as 5pm to 9pm. Its also showing PW partially sending to grid during Peak. The PWs should power house during Peak with any solar going only to grid

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230727-093702.png
    Screenshot_20230727-093702.png
    267.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20230727-093636.png
    Screenshot_20230727-093636.png
    284.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20230727-093620.png
    Screenshot_20230727-093620.png
    327.7 KB · Views: 43
looks like there is a bug in teh new app. It is showing solar + PW going to house during Peak which I have defined as 5pm to 9pm. Its also showing PW partially sending to grid during Peak. The PWs should power house during Peak with any solar going only to grid
I monitored mine yesterday and noticed the same early during peak. But I then thought the algorithm might be hedging it's bet on getting me to my reserve at the end of peak. During the hottest days lately I barely made it to end of peak with my reserve. And this behavior also stopped about an hour into peak where the algorithm probably decided I would make it OK.

I monitored mine yesterday and noticed the same early during peak. But I then thought the algorithm might be hedging it's bet on getting me to my reserve at the end of peak. During the hottest days lately I barely made it to end of peak with my reserve. And this behavior also stopped about an hour into peak where the algorithm probably decided I would make it OK.
I have my reserve set pretty high at 75%. Therrre should not be any PW going to grid as it is showing in the graph

I'm still seeing solar (yellow) along with PW (green) in the home usage graph during peak and after my solar production is low or stopped. The "Used by" numbers look correct but not the graph. Phone is Android. Is anyone else seeing this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230728-083342.png
    Screenshot_20230728-083342.png
    267.1 KB · Views: 31
I'm still seeing solar (yellow) along with PW (green) in the home usage graph during peak and after my solar production is low or stopped. The "Used by" numbers look correct but not the graph. Phone is Android. Is anyone else seeing this?
Yes, I've seen that too. Looks like something is wrong in the graph on the updated App. Actual data is okay.

Here is a link to the "learn more" info that tesla has for these energy graphs:

Wow! Although I don't see it on my end, it is great to see the graphs will track vehicle usage.

Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG

The PWs should power house during Peak with any solar going only to grid
We've discussed this in a different thread: Has anyone else derived in the internal power flows in a Solar/PW2 system?

Basically, if both the PWs and PV are producing energy, and both the house and grid are consuming energy (net export to grid), then it is not well defined to say whether the PWs are powering the house, the PV is powering the house, or both are powering the house. All you can say is that the sum of the sources equals the sum of the loads; any assignment of a particular load to a particular source is arbitrary. [I guess if either the PW or the PV alone are not producing as much energy as the house is using, you can say that source alone is not powering the house.]

So I don't think it's necessarily a bug. If the designers have a particular way they would like to do the assignment, and the graphs don't match their intention, that would be a bug. But the choice of assignment, within the physical limits, is arbitrary.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: bemyax
We've discussed this in a different thread: Has anyone else derived in the internal power flows in a Solar/PW2 system?

Basically, if both the PWs and PV are producing energy, and both the house and grid are consuming energy (net export to grid), then it is not well defined to say whether the PWs are powering the house, the PV is powering the house, or both are powering the house. All you can say is that the sum of the sources equals the sum of the loads; any assignment of a particular load to a particular source is arbitrary. [I guess if either the PW or the PV alone are not producing as much energy as the house is using, you can say that source alone is not powering the house.]

So I don't think it's necessarily a bug. If the designers have a particular way they would like to do the assignment, and the graphs don't match their intention, that would be a bug. But the choice of assignment, within the physical limits, is arbitrary.

Cheers, Wayne
Not sure I'm following that. The idea of the PW powering the house during Peak is so that any Solar production can go to grid and get credits at the high rates assuming the PWs can 100% meet the house load which in my case is true. It does not make sense for some solar to power the house when the PWs can meet the house demand as this would reduce credits. If I click on the Solar graph, it shows miniscule energy going to the house during Peak which is not consistent with the House graph. Also, I never saw this behavior before the new version of the app

Not sure I'm following that.
OK, there's a couple potentially different things going on here:

- First, how does the PW determine how much energy to put out during Peak period? The "export PV only" option is for the PW to just put out an amount equal to the house consumption. Then the net export to the grid would be the PV generation. If you enable "export everything" then the PWs could put out more (if they are capable).

- Second, say that you have "export PV only" and at a point in time the the house is using 5 kW, the PV is producing 8 kW, the PW is choosing to put out 5 kW, and the net to the grid is 8 kW. Because of the choice of "export PV only" and how the PW decided to put out 5 kW, it's reasonable to say that 5 kW went from PW to house, and 8 kW went from PV to grid. But electrically, you can't say that, the power is fungible. You could just as easily say that 5 kW of PV went to the house, and 3 kW of PV and 5 kW of PW went to the grid.

With export everything, that ambiguity is a bit clearer: maybe the house is using 5 kW, the PV is putting out 8 kW, and 2 PWs are pumping out their max, 10 kW, so that 13 kW is going to the grid. All you can say is that 5 + 13 = 8 + 10. You can't say, physics-wise, whether the house is running on PV, or PWs, or both.

Cheers, Wayne