Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping is Coming [Discuss how it will be accomplished]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be fascinating to see how they design the robotics so the battery swap is done without anyone having to leave the car.
Small Kids & babies in car seats make leaving the car unacceptable. And if you have to leave the car then Elon's tweet is no longer valid.

"There is a way for the Tesla Model S to be recharged throughout the country faster than you could fill a gas tank"

Simple answer - it's not battery swapping, it's something else. Something faster, and without all the inherent problems of swapping.

There, I fixed it.

It will be fascinating to see how they design the robotics so the battery swap is done without anyone having to leave the car.
Small Kids & babies in car seats make leaving the car unacceptable. And if you have to leave the car then Elon's tweet is no longer valid.

"There is a way for the Tesla Model S to be recharged throughout the country faster than you could fill a gas tank"

The biggest obstacles to battery swapping are commercial, not technical. Just consider the idle capital in these expensive batteries sitting, charging and waiting for an exchange. A frequent swapper would have to pay over time essentially for a second battery just for himself as well as a contribution to machinery and storage space.

The second problem is exposure to innovation. Already the next generation of batteries, providing for a Model S a range of 800-1000 Km, would - without any particular breakthrough - reduce the frequency of changes significantly. So the investment in change facilities would face not increasing, but falling demand: an unfavorable scenario for any investor. In Europe, driving e.g. in one day further than from Zurich to Hamburg is a rather stressful experience and I cannot imagine much demand for this type of mobility.

The situation for a closed group of users, such as a taxi or haulage fleet, is another matter and swap-stations could become economical much earlier than for Mr. Average.

A Metal-Air cell as supplement, providing sufficient trickle charge for an addition of exchangeable range, is conceivable. Lockheed presented such ideas already in the 1970's for Aluminium-Air. The proposal was just to exchange the plates and not the battery as a whole, as tested also here. Essentially this would be a Metal fueled fuel-cell range extender. The disadvantage of this type of systems is usually a fairly low overall energy efficiency. That such a system could have been prepared entirely secretly to be ready today for prime time is a bit unlikely.

Simple answer - it's not battery swapping, it's something else. Something faster, and without all the inherent problems of swapping.

There, I fixed it.

Which gives us another one of Better Place's feature that can be done differently: out-of-car battery charging.

Removing the battery from the car allows you to provide much more effective cooling and better connections that would allow for faster charging. To be of value the addition has to be fast, reliable and cheap, but a fast-swappable battery at least opens up the possibility. Of course, it would probably require a chemistry and design that would make Supercharging faster, but every minute saved increases the volume a charger can handle.

There, I fixed it.

Actually I agree and have been very dubious about this whole battery swap option. I've just found it interesting that the issue of doing this while everyone is in the car just doesn't come up. While it may not be technical it is largely about logistics and that sometimes cannot be fixed with technology at a reasonable price.

Which gives us another one of Better Place's feature that can be done differently: out-of-car battery charging.

Removing the battery from the car allows you to provide much more effective cooling and better connections that would allow for faster charging. To be of value the addition has to be fast, reliable and cheap, but a fast-swappable battery at least opens up the possibility. Of course, it would probably require a chemistry and design that would make Supercharging faster, but every minute saved increases the volume a charger can handle.

Why not just not remove the battery, hook into an external massive cooling system during charge while the battery is still in the car and then charge at 2-4C?

Why not just not remove the battery, hook into an external massive cooling system during charge while the battery is still in the car and then charge at 2-4C?

While good cooling is good to reduce damage to the battery from high charge rate, cooling the battery to such low temperatures as you're suggesting would severely impede it's ability to accept charge. For example Nissan LEAF or i-MiEV can barely accept 10kW from a CHaDEMO charger when the ambient temperature is below 0 Celcius and the car is cold. The point of good cooling would be to prevent the temperature from rising above an optimal temp (around 20 degrees Celcius) during super-super charging, but the cooling would need to cool the whole pack well - reaching every nook and cranny equally well for there to be no damage...

I remember mentioning this issue to someone who kept trying to assure me about how much better the Better Place model was than what Tesla was offering. That lease was a crime, on many levels.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps they bathe the pack in liquid nitrogen, while balancing charging power in a way that the pack retains optimal temperature? Just thinking about this, because future Lithium-air cells use the atmosphere's oxygen. Why not use the atmosphere's nitrogen as well?

I recall mentioning something similar upthread as an alternative to blowing cryogenic air over the existing radiator (which I felt would not be particularly efficient). I am not knowledgeable enough about how the chemistry of batteries works during charging to know how this would work.

But I would assume it would be straightforward to flush the existing coolant from the pack and flow a cryogenic fluid through it to cool the batteries directly. How you would balance the cooling with the charging is unknown to me. But mechanically and operationally this would be even simpler than swapping. It would greatly simplify things if you could use a supercooled version of the existing coolant.

There's everything here on this planet in pretty much inexhaustible amounts to be used in EVs. Silicon and oxygen can be used to create completely non-toxic batteries with high power and energy density. Carbon can probably be used in form of graphene to create extremely dense and powerful ultra (hyper?) capacitors and also to be used as super strong and super light building material. EVs would greatly benefit from this, among many other applications. Nitrogen as possible charging coolant for EVs is abundant with it making up ~78% of Earth's atmosphere. Those are all very basic chemical elements which are produced during normal operation of stars. They're everywhere. Thinking on that basis, it'd completely make sense to use those materials to their maximum.

End of rant :smile: . I just love this stuff.

MASSIVE POST ALERT!!!

Oddly, I had thought up the idea of battery-swapping a few weeks ago when I was describing the Tesla Model S to a relative of mine who wasn’t at all familiar with the brand, based on the basic placement of the battery. (I did not know they had already mentioned it in 2009, or that there was all this speculation on this forum!!!) Obviously the car is designed for battery-swapping… they have simply been working on a way to make it happen and that’s why there haven’t been any announcements… but to me, it is 100% guaranteed there will be an attempt by Tesla to make battery swapping become normal. To those people hijacking this thread with claims that Musk’s tweet isn’t referring to battery swapping at all… just stay out of this thread and create your own, OK? :smile: Who cares what Musk’s upcoming tweet refers to… it'll be cool no matter what. This thread is about battery swapping. (Thank you Citizen-T)

As we know, Elon Musk doesn’t just create an electric car and then notice there aren’t any chargers around the country. He thinks through the entire plan ahead of time. Everything has been considered… and here we are guessing what his future vision is.

For the entire battery swapping experience, here is my conjecture:

*** Battery Swapping Stations will be set up around the country in much the same way as Superchargers. Since they charge batteries using solar power, it is possible that dual-purpose stations will be built, since then Tesla can amortize the solar panels across both uses and only have to hassle with one land purchase/permit.

*** Battery Swapping Stations will be stocked with ten batteries. (if they cost $40,000 each this would require $400,000 capital investment) If they spend $1 million on each station and its batteries, they can put 1,000 of them around the country for a capital expenditure of $1 billion – a gigantic sum, but we will look back in the years following and agree that battery swapping was what made electric cars acceptable to the masses.

*** Battery Swapping Stations will have a similar appearance from the outside as an automated car wash. Just like today’s gas stations, there would be significant machinery/infrastructure buried beneath ground level and not discernible to the casual eye.

*** Owners will have to “sign up” for battery swapping. This would be rather like having a tag in your windshield for driving on toll roads. Once you’re part of the program, you have a $30/month charge which is associated with the cost of running the stations, and you are allowed to swap the battery as many times as you like each month. Tesla would warrant that any batteries supplied by their Stations are “fit for purpose” so perhaps there would be a certain small rate of attrition of the batteries. Also, owners signing up to be part of the battery swapping program inherently agree to surrender forever the battery they came in their car when they bought it. They also agree to not abuse the battery that is in their car, as they eventually may (and probably will) surrender it into a future Battery Swapping Station. Finally, it’s my belief that the current Tesla Model S is not configured for battery swapping just yet. To get your car into the program will involve a visit to a Tesla service center, where they will put in the “clamps” and other parts allowing a quick machine-driven swap. The visit may involve waving bye-bye to your current battery and getting a new one that is configured for swapping. Once you’re part of the battery-swapping program, you can drive from the West Coast to the East Coast using batteries you’ve never seen before and may never see again, by dropping them off at the Battery Swapping Stations as you go.

*** The process of swapping your battery involves driving into the automated Battery Swapping Station and waiting there while the robotic machinery swaps out the battery. Your car’s identity will be verified as part of the battery-swap program.

*** I believe Tesla will put significant effort into automating the battery swap, so that they don’t have to pay human workers to carry out the swapping (and also pay them when they’re sitting around waiting for Tesla drivers to come in).

*** the goal of the Battery Swapping Station will be to enable you to emerge from it with a full battery in less time than it takes to get out of your car at a gasoline station, run your credit card etc. fill it up and get back in. I’m estimating this to be 4 minutes for the average vehicle, and I’m estimating that Tesla will set themselves a goal of 2 minutes for the machinery to charge the battery. Naturally, they will want at least one fully-charged battery to be inside the Battery Swapping Station waiting for the next driver to pull up.

*** It is possible you’ll have to wait in line at a Battery Swapping Station if there is only one “portal.” Large cities may end up with dual-portal or larger Battery Swapping Stations that can service multiple cars at the same time.

*** If you have to line up, a large single-digit sign above the door to the Battery Swapping Station will be of particular importance, especially at rush-hour times: this shows how many fully-charged batteries the Battery Swapping Station has in its store. Every time a car leaves the station, the number will drop by one. In this way, you will know if you’ll have to wait a long time or if you should just drive on.

*** Tesla drivers that have signed up for the battery-swap program can still use a Supercharger or any kind of “slow” charger that they want.

*** Tesla drivers that do not sign up for the battery-swap program won’t have to pay $30/month, and can still get free Supercharging forever (per Elon’s remarks at the launch).

***It is conceivable that drivers will enter a Battery Swapping Station with a battery that is not completely discharged – and hardly discharged at all, for example. (this might be because your current battery is 75% full but you want a little extra juice before a long trip, or your showing your friends what it’s like to go through a battery swap, or whatever) You will exit the Battery Swapping Station with a full battery, and the old battery you left behind won’t take as long to charge up as would a completely empty battery ‘cos it still had some charge left.

*** One of the beautiful things about the Battery Swapping Station is that the charging of the spare batteries is done at a slower speed for each battery. Multiple batteries inside the store can even be charged at the same time, if there is sufficient current available. Batteries do not need to be “slammed” with charge, which is usually bad for them and frankly dangerous. Contrast this with the plight of the single battery owner (the driver who has not signed up for the program) – they face Supercharging and other methods of charging their batteries as fast as they possibly can – so it takes as little time as possible… because they have to wait while it is charged. This can only be bad for the battery in the longer term (not to mention more dangerous with more current flying around) It’s also bad for the Supercharger, which has to empty out its electrical store at a high rate. (I admit, it’s possible I have misguessed how Superchargers work here) The Battery Swapping Station charges all of the batteries at a gentler rate, sorta like comparing mass-produced beef vs. grass fed cows allowed to roam in the fields J The Battery Swapping Station charges its batteries when no-one is at the station – versus the Supercharger, which slams charge into batteries only at the moment a driver is there.

*** Owners of 85KWh, 60KWh and 40KWh battery cars can all get their batteries swapped at these Battery Swapping Stations. No station can predict what kind of car is about to drive in, so there’s no point keeping a set of smaller batteries around, or 85KWh batteries that are only charged up to 60KWh, for example. They will all be 85KWh batteries and will all be fully charged. The batteries will be inherently limited to replicate the initial capacity the owner paid for. Seems pretty tragic for a 40KWh owner to have an 85KWh battery slung under his ass but only get less than half of it before it’s running out of juice… I wish this could change! What would happen if a 40KWh driver was stranded in a snowstorm after running out of charge, and froze to death, and later investigators found that the battery was actually a swapped 85KWh unit? Would Tesla look bad? Perhaps 40KWh drivers can “upgrade” their battery capacity for a significant one-time fee – which might have all sorts of financial packages available to ease the purchase. It could be quite compelling if you’re stuck in a snowstorm and a phone call gets you the extra 45KWh your car was always carrying.

*** Batteries would be charged at the ideal temperature for charging, and kept at the ideal temperature for storing fully-charged batteries. Finally, when a car drives in, a process would immediately begin to bring the replacement battery’s temperature to that required for driving with it. This would be nice for changing batteries on a freezing cold day – you’d get a nicely warmed-up battery right away.

*** These Battery Swapping Stations will work out of the gate for Model X and Model S cars, which have the same batteries. And, Model X will be configured to immediately enjoy battery swapping, without any sign-up visit to a service center. I’m going to conject here that the Generation3 won’t take those same batteries, since it’s physically smaller. It is possible that Tesla will build their Battery Swapping Stations to accommodate two physical sizes of battery, the smaller one going into Generation3 cars, and these two sizes could last the company decades.

*** Battery Swapping Stations will be more commonplace in the kinds of places in the world where larger distances are traveled – for example, USA and Africa. In places where shorter distances are the norm, and the car can make it more easily on slow-charges, owners will be able to stick with the battery they got in the car and not bother signing up. Europe would be an example.

*** Don’t laugh or balk at the concept, but there might be “combo gasoline and electric” service stations for many years – because they still want you to buy orange juice, sandwiches and napkins etc. while preparing your car for a long journey (which is what we are often doing when we visit a gas station today). These probably wouldn’t be run by the major oil brands, but independent operators that feel like both is best.

*** If other car manufacturers license the tech/patents/IP from Tesla that allow them to use Tesla batteries, other car manufacturers could use Tesla’s network of battery swapping stations around the country without developing their own massive infrastructure. It could be said that if all the various manufacturers develop their own battery swapping stations, that’s an awful amount of risk for everyone to take… using someone else’s existing grid of ready-built swapping stations might prove a more attractive plan, even if you’re tacitly admitting that the other guys’ stations are competitive.

Think how many Superchargers $1 billion could make though. As you said, the Gen III car and the next gen Roadster likely won't have the same size battery pack so that would mean stocking those battery packs in the future. I'm not saying they won't do it but have a hard time believing they will go all out on battery swapping especially since Better Place tried in small countries and couldn't make it work.

You also have the issue of the battery you bought being picked up by someone else unless that battery is kept for you when you return.

What will they do?
They will announce a 85 kWh battery rental program at their service centers around the world.

How:
- you call the center to arrange the date and time of your arrival
- they make sure they have a full spare battery waiting for you
- you get there at announced time and they swap the battery in minutes
- you rent this full 85 kWh battery and they store yours
- you get your battery back when you return the rented one
- you pay for rental days and miles driven similar to rent-a-car

Pros:
- another very cool feature on the feature list
- small additional costs for them as all needed infrastructure is already set up
- they get even more money from existing Model S owners, more so from MS60 owners

Cons:
- useless for most owners

*** Battery Swapping Stations will be stocked with ten batteries.

So basically you're SOL if your the eleventh car. I'd think each station would need fifty--and even then the busy ones might be short. Unfortunately, you have to stock for the holidays when everyone is traveling, even if the rest of the time you only need ten or fifteen.

dsm363 - exactly. Another stock offering or whatever. Seeing hundreds of those things being constructed all over the country would ram home the fact that electric cars aren't "experimental" any more! I believe Tesla will do battery swapping better than Better Place. Better Place did have some sort of leasing arrangement that ultimately didn't attract customers. As for what happens with your old battery... in my conjecture, you simply sign it away and you have another one in your car after that.

WarpedOne - I do not think your idea will come to pass. Tesla execs have repeatedly said that this new plan will allow you to spend less time refueling your car than current owners of gasoline cars do... so we're talking 2 minutes or so (and less than 4 minutes). I do not personally believe Tesla's services centers will want lines of cars out onto the street all waiting for super-quick battery swaps.. and I do not think "all needed infrastructure is already set up" - otherwise we would know about it, wouldn't we?

jerry33 - there's a big number lit up on the doorway to the station illustrating how many batteries it has left. If you're the 11th car to visit that day, that just means that 10 other discharged batteries were dropped off there since the beginning of the day. It is quite possible that the first battery that was dropped off has already been recharged up to full. There is only a problem if 10 cars visit in short succession and take fully charged batteries away with them. You might have to wait for the battery to be fully charged... or you can just drive on to the next station or do whatever you want, really. Stations could have more than 10 batteries, I just made up a number to help calculate how much they would cost to build. They could be made with space for 50 batteries and only start off with 10 in there.