Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping is Coming [Discuss how it will be accomplished]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are many interesting ideas in this thread. Lots of possibilities for the future - that makes me feel good. I don't know the real answer, but it's fun to think out loud:

Like Citizen-T, I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of what problem Tesla is trying to solve. We already have free solar-powered long distance for life; that is something that gas cars can't provide. But naysayers argue that it still takes longer than gas - and that's true. That's the ONLY real disadvantage to driving electric. So the key aspect of this swapping solution is that it has to be faster than gas. And of course it can't have any disadvantages compared to gas; though it can sacrifice some of the electric advantages. So, for example, it no longer has to be free or solar-powered; people that value those can stick with Supercharging. Both would be great, but as long as it's not more costly or dirtier than gas, a solution can be used as long as it's faster than driving gas.

I assume Tesla's metric will be an LA-to-NY trip. In a comparable gas car (say Audi A8, base engine, 28mpg hwy) that would cost about $400 in gas each way. So the solution can cost up to $800 for a round trip of ~5500 miles. The A8 has a 23.8 gallon tank; adjusting for real-life driving and filling up well before empty, the gas car would probably make about 12 stops. Using Lloyd's 12 minutes each, that's 144 minutes. So that's the refueling budget for the trip. We need a solution that will take less than 144 minutes on an LA-NY-LA trip, and cost less than $800.

Swapping 85kWh packs just doesn't seem like it's going to do it. You have to swap too often; it's going to go over the time limit. Plus you need serious automatic machinery (or employees and heavy-duty tools) in many, many places to make that workable, so it's going to go over the cost budget as well unless they've figured out a way to get a lot more money out of idle packs than I can see.

When Tesla announced the pack sizes, they said they could build one bigger than 300 miles, that just seemed like a sweet spot. On a recent call when asked about a hypothetical 400-mile battery, Musk pointedly asked "what about a 500-mile battery"? Sure, one of those batteries may cost more to build (then again, maybe not if it's consumable rather than rechargable). But you have to stop less often, so less time is spent swapping. You can also save money by having fewer swapping stations; in fact given that they already say >80% of their customers are within 50 miles of a service center, they could say you only do the swaps at service centers. Question: Do employees at each service center have (or will they get) tools to allow them to do quick battery swaps? I don't know, but that's a key element to this plan. (Even if they do, this is not ideal as service centers are not open 24 hours. Service center build-out is also not complete yet, but neither are robotic swapping stations - and they want more service centers anyway, so it's already baked in. Not being robotic also means there are likely appointments involved - though other than the first one, perhaps the car makes them for you based on where you are?).

Even with a "500-mile" battery, in real life you'd want to swap about every 350 miles. That's 15 stops. Is that going to be faster than 12 12-minute gas stops? Erm. I'd sure hate to claim that; but maybe they can with some Tesla math. Maybe they'll say it's only seconds faster now; but in years to come, as the batteries get bigger, the time advantage will widen.

Can they do it for under $800? That depends a LOT of what the batteries cost to build (at least this theory doesn't have to pay for a lot of robots). My rough guess is that employee time (internal cost, not normal billing rate) would be about half of that. Looking at expected pack lifetimes...hmm, that doesn't leave a lot. Well, Tesla is the king of low battery prices. And maybe they really are planning on integrating some cheap metal-air thing inside the case to get this density. Maybe they can get more than I think I can by using the batteries for grid balancing when not in use. Maybe they figure gas prices will rise and they'll soon be able to charge more. Or maybe they're just willing to take a loss at first, knowing that battery prices will come down - and that few people will every really USE this (few people take trips this long; and many of them will like the free solar-powered Superchargers), so losses will be limited. It's more about having the ability to say it can be done, so nobody has any excuse to not consider an electric car. Early losses could be a marketing expense.

I assume they would bill the user per swap (that's what takes up employee time), and per day (need to get those big packs back for others), and possibly per mile (they are saving on wear-and-tear on their own battery, after all - but most people will be driving a LOT, so they could just assume that and bake it in to the other fees).

I dunno. There's a lot of "ifs" in there...if Tesla is able to build a 1,000-mile battery in the Model S pack form factor at a reasonable price (using who knows what technology), this may start to make sense. A 500-mile pack doesn't seem quite big enough; at least not for me to feel comfortable making the "faster than gas" claim. But it's getting really close...

Last edited:
I don't take Elon's statement that it's faster to fill up than gasoline to necessarily mean faster per mile (esp. highway miles which gives ICE cars a distinct advantage, for your example A8, the combined rating is only 21 mpg), but faster per fill up.

Federal law has a 10 gpm limit on consumer fuel pumps and from a quick google in the real world it can go down to about 5 gpm, so it'll take about 2-4 minutes to fill up a typical tank. If you add overhead for pulling the fuel door release, unscrewing the gas cap, putting in the nozzle (and then the reverse after refueling), the time increases to 4-6 minutes. So I assume Elon means a swap takes less time than 4-6 minutes. I'm ignoring financial transaction times for now (assuming it will be similar for both).

It's a bit ambitious to expect the total trip refueling time to be less. The A8 would get 666 miles of highway range, 500 miles of combined range. 85kWh is 265 miles. In the highway case, it results in a 2.5x per mile speed disadvantage for the 85kWh and 1.9x for the combined case. This would bring the max swap time to 1.6-3.2 minutes. But the overhead of having to swap roughly two times vs one refueling is going to play a bigger factor.

Realistically, I think what Elon will do initially is build a couple of demonstration swap stations (using the term loosely, it can either be robotic near superchargers or manual at a service center), likely in California. It'll be a while before there is a viable network (if ever).

Last edited:
It's hard to incorporate battery swapping into the existing model S. Maybe the swapping actually refers to replacing bad cells at a repair center?

For longer range driving maybe they can rent out a towed trailer, with either a gasoline powered generator, or a propane fuel-cell. This might not look too pretty, but does provide longer range without charging facilities around.

It's hard to incorporate battery swapping into the existing model S. Maybe the swapping actually refers to replacing bad cells at a repair center?

For longer range driving maybe they can rent out a towed trailer, with either a gasoline powered generator, or a propane fuel-cell. This might not look too pretty, but does provide longer range without charging facilities around.
Welcome to the forum. The Model S was designed with swapping in mind. The battery is flat and is attached to the bottom of the chassis with a couple of bolts and is removable in a couple of minutes:
http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/non-make/fe/fe_9171228_600.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-arWyY2OdT...U4/s1600/NewTeslaStore-ModelS-ChassisFull.jpg

That's innacurate. From what we've been told previously, the battery easily detaches and is removable. Like a giant laptop cell.

Except the laptop battery is not an integral part if the chassis...

The battery is a load bearing member of the chassis. It's nothing like a regular gas tank.

Without the battery the chassis would buckle.

That means you need a rig in place to maintain chassis rigidity during the swap.

Except the laptop battery is not an integral part if the chassis...

The battery is a load bearing member of the chassis. It's nothing like a regular gas tank.

Without the battery the chassis would buckle.

That means you need a rig in place to maintain chassis rigidity during the swap.

From Dan Neil's reporting, Tesla says it's a load bearing member AND also easily removed and replaced.
Mr. Musk’s Model S was a radically different automotive vision — a premium sedan with an all-electric powertrain, potential seven-passenger seating, and a battery pack that would serve as a stressed, that is, a load-bearing member of the chassis, and yet would be easily removed and replaced.
http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2...model-s-congratulations/?mod=google_news_blog

I take load-bearing in this context to mean increased rigidity, but not that the chassis will immediately buckle without it. If you look at pictures of the latest bare chassis, there are cross members in the middle to support the chassis:
http://porsche914e.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-visit-to-new-tesla-store-in-los.html

I take the meaning to be like F1 cars, certain exotics (like the McLaren F1 and Ferrari F50), and motorcycles which use the engine as a load-bearing member. That doesn't mean the chassis will buckle without it if they had to do an engine swap (or during assembly).

Last edited:
It is swappable. That much we know for sure. They've been saying this all along.

Part of Dan's bet with Elon was that the battery had to be swappable in under like 5 mins. Presumably he would have been given a demonstration before paying up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Welcome to the forum. The Model S was designed with swapping in mind. The battery is flat and is attached to the bottom of the chassis with a couple of bolts and is removable in a couple of minutes:
http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/non-make/fe/fe_9171228_600.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-arWyY2OdT...U4/s1600/NewTeslaStore-ModelS-ChassisFull.jpg

Thx for posting those pics. People need to understand that the chassis was designed for a swappable battery. The fastened battery increases rigidity during cruising, but is not necessary when parking.

Tesla SuperSwapping story in Clean Technica: http://cleantechnica.com/2013/05/22/tesla-battery-swap/

My $0.02 right now: People seem divided on whether this will be worth it (consumer-wise) or not. Smart people are on both sides of the debate. The right approach? Do a pilot deployment! Roll it out with a limited (but meaningful) number of swapping stations in an area with high Model S density, and then see what the customers think. After getting some experience with it, decide on whether to do a broad roll-out.

From Dan Neil's reporting, Tesla says it's a load bearing member AND also easily removed and replaced.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2...model-s-congratulations/?mod=google_news_blog

I take load-bearing in this context to mean increased rigidity, but not that the chassis will immediately buckle without it. If you look at pictures of the latest bare chassis, there are cross members in the middle to support the chassis:
http://porsche914e.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-visit-to-new-tesla-store-in-los.html

I take the meaning to be like F1 cars, certain exotics (like the McLaren F1 and Ferrari F50), and motorcycles which use the engine as a load-bearing member. That doesn't mean the chassis will buckle without it if they had to do an engine swap (or during assembly).

That is possible.

I just remember doing a remodel once and I had to move a "load bearing" beam and that wasn't easy...:)

So they must have some kind of a jig that supports the chassis during the removal, I suppose.

That is possible.

I just remember doing a remodel once and I had to move a "load bearing" beam and that wasn't easy...:)

So they must have some kind of a jig that supports the chassis during the removal, I suppose.

When the car is built, the battery pack is installed at the very end of the assembly line. (I've seen it with my own eyes.) So it's not like a load bearing beam in a house, which is put in before the load is added.

Wow lots of great discussion in this thread so far. I'm very excited to see what the future brings. My personal thoughts this far:

Tesla will want to make the concept of swapping super easy for the customer. This is why they have been toning down battery care: Elon talking about how they will take care of battery problems as long as you don't use a blowtorch on it, changing the "standard" and "range" to a slider and toning down the dangers of range charging and of supercharging - when I was at the US ambassadors mansion I remember Elon answering a question about the "dangers" of range charging and saying something like "We really need to get the message out to our sales people not to scare people with degradation from range charging, it's really not that big of a deal, use range charge as often as you need it".

This all leads up to what Tesla will be offering: a no hassle battery lease/swap membership program, which they will pitch as the new offer complementing a battery replacement deal: instead of a replacement costing x dollars and done after a certain number of years (or state of degradation) you can be a member of the swapping/lease program which gives you two things: 1) swapping (duh) 2) a good battery forever. This also means that as battery tech progresses after 5 years maybe you will have a 120kWh battery in the car, all part of the lease program.

On a personal note, thinking about this makes me feel good. For me it would mean I could relax my mind when it comes to battery care - just charge and drive. Sort of like how a religious person must feel when something big happens in their life and they just go "Well, it's up to God now" (instead of analyzing, going over stuff again and again in your head, worrying, trying to cover every angle).

One technical question that will be interesting to learn the answer to is how they will be handling the coolant liquid issue when swapping.

I had the same notion, posted it upthread but didn't get any traction from the engineers and other smart thinkers here... I wonder if its feasible or whether the necessary capacity is even in the right order of magnitude to make sense for utility rate arbitrage/energy storage on the one hand and swapping on the other.

It feels like an elegant and novel implementation to me, if the numbers are in the right universe. Certainly Musk is well positioned to envision and execute something like this...

I fully expect them to use the batteries for rate arbitrage, especially in the off peak season.

watch this video

at 1.04.41

answer about how tesla will swap battery's and how liquidcoolingproblem is solved while swapping

I didn't interpret Duff's statement that way. Sure they made the electrical and coolant connectors snap-in, but 30 bolts? Sounds pretty gnarly. The infrastructure to robotically unbolt 30 bolts, swap a battery, bolt back 30 bolts . . . as he even admits, there is no such infrastructure in the country right now. Frunk or it ain't happening, is my take.

I didn't interpret Duff's statement that way. Sure they made the electrical and coolant connectors snap-in, but 30 bolts? Sounds pretty gnarly. The infrastructure to robotically unbolt 30 bolts, swap a battery, bolt back 30 bolts . . . as he even admits, there is no such infrastructure in the country right now. Frunk or it ain't happening, is my take.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but to me unfastening and fastening 30 bolts seems like exactly the kind of thing a robot could do really quickly. The F1 pit stop teams do what - 20 bolts? - in a few seconds, and they are only human.

It's funny, because his answer focuses a lot on how impossible it would be to get companies to agree on a single standard, but the superchargers he just got finished talking about are Tesla only. Everything in his answer seems to be modeled around a solution that would work across different kinds of cars.