Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switched to neutral whilst driving at speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me yesterday on 2020.40.3. I was driving between 30 and 40 mph and somehow switched into neutral. Took my foot of the accelerator expecting to regen brake and the car just coasted. I then noticed the “press brake pedal and shift to drive or reverse” message.

I had possibly just turned autopilot off (right stalk up) so perhaps did something wrong and shifted to neutral? Not sure it should be possible to do this at speed though.

Tim

Last time I did this by accident the car complained about being put in gear whilst in motion (or something). Obviously in a regular car if you tried to put it the wrong gear from neutral whilst moving it would end pretty badly, but I have no idea how this works on an EV.

Is it likely to cause damage going into neutral and then drive again? Am keen to try and scrub off the crud from my brake discs on a steep hill from time to time.

Neutral in an EV is not quite the same as neutral in an ICE car. It won't physically disconnect the motor from the wheels, instead it just doesn't apply any power to the motor(s).
It is perfectly safe to go back to "D" while the car is still moving and it isn't necessary to press the brake pedal unless the car has stopped or is moving at very low speed.

Various options for changing into various 'gears' which in an ICE may cause issues.

Reverse
Push the lever all the way up and release. You can only shift into Reverse when Model 3 is stopped or moving less than 8 km/h. If moving less than 1.6 km/h, you must press the brake.

Drive
Push the lever all the way down and release. You can shift into Drive when Model 3 is stopped or moving less than 8 km/h in Reverse. If Model 3 is moving less than 1.6 km/h, you must press the brake to shift into Drive.

upload_2020-11-12_13-56-36.png

This happened to me yesterday on 2020.40.3. I was driving between 30 and 40 mph and somehow switched into neutral. Took my foot of the accelerator expecting to regen brake and the car just coasted. I then noticed the “press brake pedal and shift to drive or reverse” message.

I had possibly just turned autopilot off (right stalk up) so perhaps did something wrong and shifted to neutral? Not sure it should be possible to do this at speed though.

Tim

You can go to N at speed IN ANY CAR.

Reactions: Neilio
This.

I was just about to say this. I’m not sure why there’s confusion. I thought it was common knowledge.

I don't think there is any confusion. The OP was just surprised that it was possible to go into neutral at speed (in a software controlled electric car) when there would be no design requirement for this and could leave you without drive at a time when you needed it ... which could therefore have a safety implication in some circumstances.