Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching between 20" and 22" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering what advice TMC may have on switching between 22" and 20" rims. I purchased my car with 22" and I love the look of them but its just not cutting it in the winter. As far as I am aware the 22" rims only have summer and all-season options but no winter option. I assume if I purchase 20" rims I can get winter tires for them and see a performance difference on handling in the snow. A set of 4 used 20" model X rims on ebay is going for about $1000.

I am thinking I might go this route and switch tires for the season but I wanted to hear if anyone had any advice first. I noticed in the Service menu on the car you can select the wheel size and color. I assume I could just switch between 20 and 22 from there? Has anyone ever swapped tires on their own or do you always go to a shop?

Thanks!

Its easy to swap yourself.
I use 22” black onyx wheels in the summer and switch to 20” rims in the winter. Bolt them on, change the wheels on the 17” screen and good to go.
I don’t notice very much, if any, change in range between the 20” and 22” on my X.

Just get the 20” or 19” snow package. You can buy used or take off rims and get the tires yourself. I think the 19” actually look better than the 20”. But you could end up waiting a good while to get them. Probably 4 weeks minimum. I just drove 120 miles through snow on the 19” Pirelli Scorpion Winter and can’t imagine running on the summer 22”. Not to mention an additional efficiency hit. Drove 70 miles (highway non stop) last night (from super charger, cabin and battery all warmed up). Took 143 miles of range. 65 mph Max. Dry. No wind. But it was 4F our.

The 22’s are easy to swap with the 20’s. More winter tire choices for the 20’a. Plus if your area is anything like mine in the winter, potholes multiply due to the calcium chloride/salt they use on the roads. The 20 inch tires provide a little more protection to the rim. There is zero chance that I will be risking my 22’s in the winter.

I run Nokian studded tires and the traction had been impressive.

I run the stock 20” wheels/tires in the summer on my Model X. I bought used 19” wheels from a friend who got them stock on his older Model S. I added new 19” Nokian Hakkapelitta R2s SUV (current model is R3 SUV) snow tires for the winter. This setup works great for me and they were MUCH cheaper than the Tesla snow tire package.

Nokian calls for 265/50-19 R3 SUV snow tires for the Model X on their website.

T430685
NOKIAN TIRE
HAKKAPELIITTA R3 SUV
265/50-19

My tire dealer in Sacramento stores whatever tires and wheels I’m not using, which is an awesome convenience. They mount the snows in Nov/Dec and remove them for me in April.

For the past 16 years I’ve driven an Acura MDX with the stock M&S tires. The performance and traction of my Model X with the Nokian snow tires is far superior.

Reactions: VikH